Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 07:27 PM

29,250 posts, read 22,547,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Don't understand. Who have been the extreme rightwingers the GOP has nominated? Mitt,McCain,Bush JR,Dole,Bush Sr. Not exactly staunch conservatives.
Meanwhile,the Dems have the most extreme liberal to run for president since Norman Thomas and Eugene Debs.
Only in your opinion. The truth is: Obama is a centrist. If anything, he's more conservative than Bill Clinton is, and compared to the Democratic party of the 70's, he's more conservative than Nixon was by a mile.

That you think he's an extreme liberal only show how far to the right the Republicans have slid since the dawn of the 21st century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 10:09 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,982,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
one thing we may wish to discuss is that considering gay marriage has lost every time it has been put to a vote of the citizens, how do so many people label those with that position as extreme?
Because gay marriage opposition, when you really get down to the heart of the matter, is about people's RELIGOUS beliefs. I'm a Christian and I'll even admit that lots of people in my faith want to impose our religious view on the public at large when it comes to gay marriage. If you ask most people WHY they oppose gay marriage, they will tell you it has to do with what God does or does not want, does or does not approve of. So it really becomes a matter of is America, despite what it was founded on, REALLY a land where people's religious views can be forced on others who don't subscribe to those views? We know Americans can't be forced to subscribe to any religion, but are we a land where the laws permit a group to say that just because their faith says God disapproves of a thing, it's ok to legislate it to be illegal? That's why it is considered an extreme position- it DIRECTLY challenges the core of what this nation is about, whether true religious freedom or only freedom enough to not have to believe a certain way or worship a certain way while being forced by law to live only in ways that certain religions approve of.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:15 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,812,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Because gay marriage opposition, when you really get down to the heart of the matter, is about people's RELIGOUS beliefs. I'm a Christian and I'll even admit that lots of people in my faith want to impose our religious view on the public at large when it comes to gay marriage. If you ask most people WHY they oppose gay marriage, they will tell you it has to do with what God does or does not want, does or does not approve of. So it really becomes a matter of is America, despite what it was founded on, REALLY a land where people's religious views can be forced on others who don't subscribe to those views? We know Americans can't be forced to subscribe to any religion, but are we a land where the laws permit a group to say that just because their faith says God disapproves of a thing, it's ok to legislate it to be illegal? That's why it is considered an extreme position- it DIRECTLY challenges the core of what this nation is about, whether true religious freedom or only freedom enough to not have to believe a certain way or worship a certain way while being forced by law to live only in ways that certain religions approve of.
Well put MantaRay.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:30 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,982,344 times
Quote:
I have not seen Mitt really "pander"on any social issues.
His refusal to endorse the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay act was pandering to the conservative Republican base.

His switcharoo on abortion from when he was governor of Mass versus now is him pandering to the conservative Republican base.

Quote:
I do agree that many centrist voters don't like the conservative social issues,but I think they wrongly interpret what the GOP stands for.
I'm in the heart of GOP land where I live, and I can assure you the hype is real. Conservatives really do want to take away a woman's right to choose- in ALL cases. They want to keep gays from being able to marry, and many don't want them to get civil unions either. Lots of them really do feel like universities should not seek to be diverse, and if it ends up in minorities being left out of higher education, too bad. Lots of them really do believe America should be a global military bully and force other nations to do what we say- which ironically has traditionally been a liberal stance. Lots of them really ARE afraid of the trend in this nation of being more and more diverse, ie. minority populations increasing and projected to be the majority by something like 2040 or so. They really think government should stay out of people's way except for when government is forcing their Christian morality on the masses. Social conservatives are not shy about expressing what they stand for.

Ironically enough, a bonafide conservative like Ron Paul gets HORRIBLE treatment from the GOP. McCain wasn't treated all that well by the GOP base in 2008 either. I also heard many right wing conservatives saying they refused to vote for McCain against Obama, basically because he was moderate. So in some ways even the GOP doesn't know what the GOP stands for, evidenced by the extent to which they eat their own.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:44 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,501,130 times
^^^ Indeed, you are so spot on... bravo!!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:55 AM

79,910 posts, read 44,432,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
His refusal to endorse the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay act was pandering to the conservative Republican base.

His switcharoo on abortion from when he was governor of Mass versus now is him pandering to the conservative Republican base.
I agree with your abortion point but it's what politicians do. Is this not what Obama did concerning gay marriage?

Why do we continue to vote for politicians that are so dishonest with us but dismiss the honest ones as fringe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections