Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 02:53 PM

38,014 posts, read 22,193,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It's no secret that the Repubs hate SS/Medicare with a passion and that R/R are bent on destroying it as quickly as possible. No one with half a brain should take Ryan at his word that he will not bother those over 55. That's just a ploy.

That said, just exactly how long would it take R/R along with a majority Repub Congress to actually kill it. And for those who say "they wouldn't dare touch a third rail (SS) or a fourth rail (Medicare)" don't kid yourself. These guys are fearless. They realize now they can do pretty much whatever they please and people aren't going to do anything except scratch themselves and pass hot air.

So again, knowing that the people won't do anything far as action is concerned, how long could it actually take R/R to carry out their plan?
Crawl back into your troll cave.

It's the democrats who never, ever put fourth any plan to save either program.

It's the dems who are stealing $700 billion from Medicare, to funnel into 0bamaCare

It's the dems who want to do nothing and just let SS and Medicare collapse and wither on the vine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 03:10 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times
I'm not saying Obama is good for SS/Medicare. He seems nearly as determined as I perceive R/R are to undermine it. But unless I'm reading a lot of garbage from reputable editorialists on the matter it sure seems that R/R will do their level best to destroy it.

Quote:
Ryan proudly is the author of the top 11 idiotic ideas to reduce the budget. He also tried to kill Medicare.
Paul Ryan Wants to Destroy Social Security & Medicare | The Economic Populist

Quote:
Ryan's own budget, which nearly every House Republican voted to pass and which Romney has said he would sign as president, leaves those cuts in place and uses them to finance other priorities. In other words, the Romney campaign is attacking a proposal that Romney and his allies endorse.
Romney Campaign Attacks Obama For Medicare Cuts That Ryan And Romney Have Endorsed | The New Republic

There are others. One doesn't have to read editorials too long to come across a number of them pointing out Ryan's hatred of Medicare and his plan to turn it into a voucher system, that from the man himself.

For those who take a swipe at me saying I'm pro-Obama, anti-Romney, I say "I am not for Obama, but I am even more so not for Romney. Both will hurt SS/Medicare but it's my fervent belief that R/R will deal a much greater devastating blow to it.

So my OP question goes to just exactly how long might it take for the Repubs to do the two programs in, as I'm certain R/R are going to win the election. Will it happen in one term-or two, if Romney wins a 2nd term?

Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
It's no secret that the Repubs hate SS/Medicare with a passion and that R/R are bent on destroying it as quickly as possible. No one with half a brain should take Ryan at his word that he will not bother those over 55. That's just a ploy.

That said, just exactly how long would it take R/R along with a majority Repub Congress to actually kill it. And for those who say "they wouldn't dare touch a third rail (SS) or a fourth rail (Medicare)" don't kid yourself. These guys are fearless. They realize now they can do pretty much whatever they please and people aren't going to do anything except scratch themselves and pass hot air.

So again, knowing that the people won't do anything far as action is concerned, how long could it actually take R/R to carry out their plan?
IMO It would take four years and everything you have ever put into these programs would be confiscated/stolen by R/R.

If you're older, then you're fine, but younger than 55, you're going to get shafted big time.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:25 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,249,648 times
Quote:

Depends. If the GOP gains control of the senate, and control the house too, I'd say 1 to 2 years. If Democrats retain control of the senate for 4 years, never in the first 4 years. see below

Remember that the congress in majority must agree on a bill to repeal or cut, if they do not agree with a majority, a president can not act alone.

It's why we have checks and balances. a democracy.

If the GOP ends up with a majority in congress, with a republican president in January 2013, people aged 55 better start looking for retirement and medical programs they can afford themselves. People 62 and older should go out and look for work.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:26 PM

912 posts, read 1,333,054 times
If Romney IS ELECTED and there is enough votes to do it.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:30 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
IMO It would take four years and everything you have ever put into these programs would be confiscated/stolen by R/R.

If you're older, then you're fine, but younger than 55, you're going to get shafted big time.
I'm not confident Ryan really means to leave those 55 and older alone. I think he's saying that to keep the 55+ crowd quiet, while he goes about his plan to pull the rug out from under everyone.

But 4 years is a pretty short time. I was hoping if it had to happen it might come in maybe 15-20 years. I become eligible for Medicare in 4 years. What a great birthday gift to apply for it and then be handed a $6,500 voucher that's really worth no more than script while the insurance co. hands me a $15,000 premium for bare-bones coverage.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:25 PM

239 posts, read 468,300 times
It's really sad how brainwashed you Obama lovers really are. Obama has done NOTHING in his 4 years in office to help save SS and Medicare. He has no plan, congress hasn't had a budget in over 3 years. Obama has done nothing but try and spend his way out of this, and has added 6 trillion dollars in new debt in less then 4 years. The bottom line is that Obama has no plan to save SS and Medicare, has no plan on how to turn this economy around, has no plan to fix anything. Before you start saying what Romney is going to do, maybe you should look at what your president has done...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I'm not confident Ryan really means to leave those 55 and older alone. I think he's saying that to keep the 55+ crowd quiet, while he goes about his plan to pull the rug out from under everyone.

But 4 years is a pretty short time. I was hoping if it had to happen it might come in maybe 15-20 years. I become eligible for Medicare in 4 years. What a great birthday gift to apply for it and then be handed a $6,500 voucher that's really worth no more than script while the insurance co. hands me a $15,000 premium for bare-bones coverage.
Even if it's 10 years, what difference does it make? For most people, if you are 55 today, you are 10 years from retirement, and when you retire, there is nothing for you. All the money you poured in all your life, will have been confiscated, and will not be able to retire, - ever.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rogers View Post
It's really sad how brainwashed you Obama lovers really are. Obama has done NOTHING in his 4 years in office to help save SS and Medicare. He has no plan, congress hasn't had a budget in over 3 years. Obama has done nothing but try and spend his way out of this, and has added 6 trillion dollars in new debt in less then 4 years. The bottom line is that Obama has no plan to save SS and Medicare, has no plan on how to turn this economy around, has no plan to fix anything. Before you start saying what Romney is going to do, maybe you should look at what your president has done...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Question: How Long Would It Take Romney/Ryan to Kill SS/Medicare?

Answer: Eeeehhhh.....uuuuummm....OBAMA SUCKS!!!

Old 10-28-2012, 04:33 PM

30,085 posts, read 18,698,166 times
Quote:

Right

Obama boosted $715 billion from medicare and is scheduled to cut reimbursement to providers 30% as of January 1st, forcing most providers to simply drop medicare. Suddenly, millions of seniors will find their medicare to be useless for anything but emergency situations.

Talk about ruining medicare! If Obama is elected, medicare, as we know it, will cease on January 1st. This should be front page news, but the media, as usual, helps to cover for Obama yet again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections