Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 05:29 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,035,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't think people worry about their burial, they worry about not being able to retire.
I plan to never retire - and I hope that opt-out is available for Social Security soon so that I can hold onto the money I earn and invest or save it as I see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 05:32 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I plan to never retire - and I hope that opt-out is available for Social Security soon so that I can hold onto the money I earn and invest or save it as I see fit.
Well, that's cute, but most of us who are a little older, have already been paying into it all our adult lives, and have made it a major part of their retirement plan. Besides, Ryan plan does not exempt you from future payments, so there is no opt-out. You will continue to pay, so the people over 55 can retire, but YOU will not retire. Even if you could opt out, with only 10 years to go until retirement, the savings would amoung to almost nothing in that short period of time.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-28-2012 at 05:56 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 06:59 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times
So if R/R have no plans to touch SS/Medicare as some here have asserted then why are we having this discussion? And please don't say I'm the only one insisting that R/R are planning to ax them. It's all over the news that this is the chief contention Ryan is grappling with, so if there were no truth to it the issue would never have made it out the gate.

Again, if they have no plans to touch them, what are we discussing?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:18 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,416,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So if R/R have no plans to touch SS/Medicare as some here have asserted then why are we having this discussion? And please don't say I'm the only one insisting that R/R are planning to ax them. It's all over the news that this is the chief contention Ryan is grappling with, so if there were no truth to it the issue would never have made it out the gate.

Again, if they have no plans to touch them, what are we discussing?
Why don't you form a new special interest group, "Citizens for Unsustainabe Benefits?" Social Security needs some tweaking to reflect demographic realities. Everybody knows it; some are trying to pretend that it is OK as it is, for a cynical political advantage. And "Medicare as we know it" is dead, period. Obamacare will end "Medicare as we know it." Ryan's plan will change it, too. But the status quo is not an option. But you evidently are in favor of unsustainable benefits forever, and naive enough to think that the Democratic candidates can make that happen.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:30 PM

7,520 posts, read 5,765,128 times
You are the winner of the most asinine thread of the month. Congratulations and well done!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:31 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,224,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It's no secret that the Repubs hate SS/Medicare with a passion and that R/R are bent on destroying it as quickly as possible. No one with half a brain should take Ryan at his word that he will not bother those over 55. That's just a ploy.

That said, just exactly how long would it take R/R along with a majority Repub Congress to actually kill it. And for those who say "they wouldn't dare touch a third rail (SS) or a fourth rail (Medicare)" don't kid yourself. These guys are fearless. They realize now they can do pretty much whatever they please and people aren't going to do anything except scratch themselves and pass hot air.

So again, knowing that the people won't do anything far as action is concerned, how long could it actually take R/R to carry out their plan?
How Long Would It Take Romney/Ryan to Kill SS/Medicare?

Since it would take 3 branches of government to do such, I imagine that it would take the Republicans forever compared to the Democrats. Just look at how fast the Democrats destroyed the US healthcare by passing Obamacare Do you really believe that the Republicans could get away with something like this?

Old 10-28-2012, 09:40 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,953,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I need some of whatever ya been smoking.
Nah, you don't need any.....we don't need you on here typing that cr*p the OP is trying to pass off as truth!!

From what many economist say SS/Medicare will be wiped out, when the government can take from it and not put back how is it to last.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,660,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
How long? A very long time - seeing as neither plans to do so.

But you just keep parroting those liberal talking points and refuse to think for yourself, now you hear.

Be a good liberal and repeat everything that the left-wing media tells you - that's it.
They absolutely have plans.

Ryan's budget calls for the end of Medicare as we know it for anyone who is age 55 or less now. It would be replaced with a voucher system that will lead to much higher costs for individuals.

As for social security, although changes to it are not in his budget, Ryan is on record that he would want to privatize part of social security and Romney also advocated that change in his book.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:21 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,249,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rogers View Post
It's really sad how brainwashed you Obama lovers really are. Obama has done NOTHING in his 4 years in office to help save SS and Medicare. He has no plan, congress hasn't had a budget in over 3 years. Obama has done nothing but try and spend his way out of this, and has added 6 trillion dollars in new debt in less then 4 years. The bottom line is that Obama has no plan to save SS and Medicare, has no plan on how to turn this economy around, has no plan to fix anything. Before you start saying what Romney is going to do, maybe you should look at what your president has done...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
What happened before the 3 years that congress hasn't had a budget?

Radcial spending, and, no balanced budget for 8 years, who was in charge then? Who started 2 wars we couldn't afford and cut taxes? You GOP lovers should live in glass houses, cause I'd like to come throw a rock at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
It would be great if they could do it within the first year of President Romney's term.
Yes, drag those old folks out of those nursing homes and the ones at home in wheel chairs and put them in call centers answering phones so we can bring AMERICAN BANKING JOBS back to America instead of having them in India, china, pakistan and where ever else Bain capital sent those jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Oh yes. Everyone knows Republicans want to abolish SS & Medicare! That's why they worked so hard to do this when they controlled the White House and Congress. They didn't? Nevermind. Guess it's time for you to adjust the angle on your tinfoil.
Are you speakin' of the dubya years? cause if you are, that's not R&R (remove and replace) Romney/Ryan.

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 10-29-2012 at 02:30 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 02:24 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,554,725 times
Oh yes. Everyone knows Republicans want to abolish SS & Medicare! That's why they worked so hard to do this when they controlled the White House and Congress. They didn't? Nevermind. Guess it's time for you to adjust the angle on your tinfoil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections