Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 02:33 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,249,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
You are the winner of the most asinine thread of the month. Congratulations and well done!
Some people just don't get it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 07:37 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,182,764 times
The Republicans were correct when they warned the nation and opposed the creation of SS/Medicare. But they don't desire to kill it, but fix it. The Democrats just want both of these programs to bankrupt the nation so they can have another excuse for higher taxes.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:45 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,670,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It's no secret that the Repubs hate SS/Medicare with a passion and that R/R are bent on destroying it as quickly as possible. No one with half a brain should take Ryan at his word that he will not bother those over 55. That's just a ploy.

That said, just exactly how long would it take R/R along with a majority Repub Congress to actually kill it. And for those who say "they wouldn't dare touch a third rail (SS) or a fourth rail (Medicare)" don't kid yourself. These guys are fearless. They realize now they can do pretty much whatever they please and people aren't going to do anything except scratch themselves and pass hot air.

So again, knowing that the people won't do anything far as action is concerned, how long could it actually take R/R to carry out their plan?
fear monger much?

Old 10-29-2012, 07:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It's no secret that the Repubs hate SS/Medicare with a passion and that R/R are bent on destroying it as quickly as possible. No one with half a brain should take Ryan at his word that he will not bother those over 55. That's just a ploy.

That said, just exactly how long would it take R/R along with a majority Repub Congress to actually kill it. And for those who say "they wouldn't dare touch a third rail (SS) or a fourth rail (Medicare)" don't kid yourself. These guys are fearless. They realize now they can do pretty much whatever they please and people aren't going to do anything except scratch themselves and pass hot air.

So again, knowing that the people won't do anything far as action is concerned, how long could it actually take R/R to carry out their plan?
ok, lets examine what you are saying and let's try and understand the situration. You are saying the plan is to kill SS and Medicare, what part of revamp do you not understand. No one has even begin to suggest it be kiilled....Why are you saying no one should take Ryan at his word about the age 55 and up? Could you tell us where you are getting your misinformation?

What about it has to be revised because both programs are broke or near broke do you not understand? Do you realize there are fewer people going into the work force and many baby boomers getting ready to collect? Where will the money come from. Do you think either program was meant to be used for 10, 20 or 30 years?

Either you are a senior and are worried you won't get out of the programs what you have put in, which isn't true or you are someone under 55 who thinks the government owes you, regardless of how much we can not afford to continue on the same path we are on...

Nita

Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,687,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Even if it's 10 years, what difference does it make? For most people, if you are 55 today, you are 10 years from retirement, and when you retire, there is nothing for you. All the money you poured in all your life, will have been confiscated, and will not be able to retire, - ever.
I don't suppose it ever occurred to you to plan for your own retirement instead of depending on the government.

I don't appreciate my money being confiscated for slugs to get food stamps and free cell phones.

Same difference.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:09 AM

78,543 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Some people just don't get it.
I heard that <insert name of political party you don't like> plans on outlawing <insert name of other political party> and shipping everyone over the age of 70 to FEMA work camps.

They will also outlaw television.

True story bro.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,219,289 times
Let me give you alittle approximate math....

government takes in approx 2.6 trillion per year, right now we are spending 3.7 trillion or so

medicare & ss spending make up 1.569 trillion of the 2013 projected budget and is growing 8-12% annually

What does that mean? That spending will take up the whole budget in 7 years time

0.08 1,694.52 2013 0.08 1,830.08 2014 0.08 1,976.49 2015 0.08 2,134.61 2016 0.08 2,305.38 2017 0.08 2,489.81 2018 0.08 2,688.99 2019 0.08 2,904.11 2020

FYI That leaves no $$ leftover to pay the interest on our debt KABOOM

Old 10-29-2012, 08:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I don't suppose it ever occurred to you to plan for your own retirement instead of depending on the government.
Me? I'll be fine, but then again, it is not about me, it is about the vast majority of people who have not been in position to do so, or have simply relied on the money they invested in SS. Working all your life and paying into SS is one way of taking care of it. And yes, if I have paid hundreds of thoudands into benefits, which will be stolen, then I believe I have the right to be upset. I don't care who does the stealing, the govt, or a private company, because the end result is the same.

Quote:
I don't appreciate my money being confiscated for slugs to get food stamps and free cell phones
Tell that to Romney. He is promising that you will keep paying, only you won't receive any of it back.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,759,139 times
Ryan will fix the programs so they still function. They are going broke under this administration and that is the plan so they can rebuild it in the model they feel spreads the wealth. You may not get a dime.

I see more grandmas going to work under this administration than in any other....well Carter maybe....but seriously....this administration has crippled 401K's and dividends will be taxed far higher forcing seniors to work longer now.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 AM

16,762 posts, read 8,229,990 times
Listen because of this administration and the effects on my 401K i was able to retire in 2011. Because of low inflation it is sitting their gaining. I have been able to travel and enjoy my first 18 months of retirement.

The seniors in trouble are the ones that have been put in a bad way by the System created by Mr Steal your pension and load you with debt Romney. His method of harvesting growth by taking any excess profit that is in retirement plans and heathcare accounts has destroyed many familes. His leadership in outsoureing has lead to major corp.(Boeing) showing its suppliers how to outsource to other countries.

Mr. Steal your pension and load you with debt Romney has nothing that will help the economy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections