Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:28 PM

22,198 posts, read 19,490,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course they wil, but I think it is more likely he would win the electorial and not the popular. I really don't expect this to happen, but we will know in 10 days or I guess actually 9.
Do you think Republicans would do the same if Obama wins the EV and loses the PV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 07:11 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,035,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I won't, can't speak about others. If Romney wins the PV and loses the EV will you say it was stolen?
No - and there is another thread that asks that exact same question.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...-vote-but.html

This thread is about it occuring with President Obama.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:23 PM

30,285 posts, read 23,777,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Will Democrats complain that the election was "stolen"?
I expect the same as it was with Gore, I expect cries of racism, I expect blaming it on the storm, I expect all kinds of crying and gnashing of teeth should this happen.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I expect the same as it was with Gore, I expect cries of racism, I expect blaming it on the storm, I expect all kinds of crying and gnashing of teeth should this happen.
Racism? Aren't Bush and Gore both white? Storm? Hurrican Katrina happened in 2005, five years after the election of 2000.

Sign me, very

Old 10-28-2012, 08:45 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,514,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Do you think Republicans would do the same if Obama wins the EV and loses the PV?
I would expect outraged Tea Partiers to push for a constitutional amendment to abolish the Electoral College and institute a direct popular vote. Democrats will happily join them, as the EC has an inherent bias towards rural states, which are more conservative. The Republican establishment will get pushed aside as it tries to retain the status quo.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:21 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,426,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
I would expect outraged Tea Partiers to push for a constitutional amendment to abolish the Electoral College and institute a direct popular vote. Democrats will happily join them, as the EC has an inherent bias towards rural states, which are more conservative. The Republican establishment will get pushed aside as it tries to retain the status quo.
No need for an amendment. 9 blue states already started this process after 2000 since they were disgusted Gore lost when he won the popular vote.

National Popular Vote -- Electoral college reform by direct election of the President

All the red states need to do is pass that bill.

The idea is that the states award their electoral votes to the person that wins the national popular vote. As soon as enough states pass this to control a majority of the electoral votes it can go into effect and we have a de facto popular vote.

To get rid of the electoral college in law you would need an amendment, but not with this. And this is completely Constitutional because the Constitution leaves it up to the state legislatures to determine how they will apportion their electoral votes. Up till now they've decided to give them all to the popular vote winners within their states (except for NE and ME), this change will just be giving them to the winner of the national popular vote. The electoral college is retained, but the popular vote is what elects the president.

I figure it may take a reversal of what happened in 2000 (the GOP candidate losing despite being the popular vote winner ) for the red states to get on board with this.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No need for an amendment. 9 blue states already started this process after 2000 since they were disgusted Gore lost when he won the popular vote.

National Popular Vote -- Electoral college reform by direct election of the President

All the red states need to do is pass that bill.

The idea is that the states award their electoral votes to the person that wins the national popular vote. As soon as enough states pass this to control a majority of the electoral votes it can go into effect and we have a de facto popular vote.

To get rid of the electoral college in law you would need an amendment, but not with this. And this is completely Constitutional because the Constitution leaves it up to the state legislatures to determine how they will apportion their electoral votes. Up till now they've decided to give them all to the popular vote winners within their states (except for NE and ME), this change will just be giving them to the winner of the national popular vote. The electoral college is retained, but the popular vote is what elects the president.

I figure it may take a reversal of what happened in 2000 (the GOP candidate losing despite being the popular vote winner ) for the red states to get on board with this.
Why would you want the cities of New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Houston to solely elect the president?

Could it be because not only are those the 5 most populous cities in the republic - but that they all overwhelmingly vote Democratic?

The electoral college system was designed so that small minorities of dense partisanship could not influence the election - and that less populous areas had a voice in whom was elected to national office.

I tend to find that the people most uneducated and uninformed about the purposes for the electoral college are usually against it.

Thos people tend to be Democrats.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:56 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,586,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The other way around is far more likely imo, (Romney winning the popular but Obama the electoral).
I agree if R Money loses come to CD Nov 7th republicans will be clamming voter fraud when they were the ones trying to keep black & latino's from voting

Old 10-29-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
I agree if R Money loses come to CD Nov 7th republicans will be clamming voter fraud when they were the ones trying to keep black & latino's from voting
Who is "R Money"?

Is he some new rapper - similar to "50 Cent"?

Would you mind citing any evidece(I know that you can't - but I figured I would ask anyway) of anything going like you suggested in the latter portion of your post?

Old 10-29-2012, 12:01 AM

376 posts, read 653,388 times
Default Dems/Media will all push to abolish EC of Obama wins Popular but loses election

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Will Democrats complain that the election was "stolen"?
If Obama wins the popular vote and loses the election due to the electoral college used to select the President, there will be no end to the griping and bitching coming from the Dems and their media lackeys.

If the opposite occurs, Republicans will move on and the media will make no comment to change the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections