U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 05:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 60,898,634 times

Advertisements

With the likely hood this storm is going to knock out power and trees plus snow there is no way it will be all cleared by the time of the elections and could effect the elections.
Not only presidential but state, and local elections in the north east the voters will be unable to cast their vote. Not all states in the north east have early voting and they need a delay in the elections for a month to give the voters a chance to exercise their constitutional right.
Plus this will free up our first responders including power crews many who are coming from other states far as mid west to help our beloved citizens in north east and will not be home during the elections

In the 200 some years of this country has congress, president ever postpone election due to natural disaster? If not now is the time.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 05:18 PM

16,358 posts, read 14,485,810 times
If it means Romney could win, then absolutely postpone the election!

Old 10-28-2012, 05:23 PM

24,874 posts, read 22,349,913 times
Romney isn't going to win any of the states effected by this storm, except maybe New Hampshire.

I'm not expecting much out of a cat 1 storm.

We'll see.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 23,693,561 times
Ain't none O' that weatha' gonna stop no real yankee's from getting out to vote. Maybe the way i think of North East has been compromised. Maybe NY is a part of the north east and after that New England IS.....

A little snow in New England is no big event., nor rain nor wind...... Oh Well And up here in NH we don't really want Obama anyway......

He's had his chance and ruined it...... It's time to let the other guy have his chance....... We don't need another 4 more years of failed policy.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:34 PM

46,038 posts, read 31,746,327 times
No, this storm will have little to no effect on the election....it will however have an effect on people getting to work this Monday and maybe Tuesday.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 60,898,634 times
Loss power and down trees,will keep away the voters. This storm has about same strength as last year Hurricane Irene that consist of inland flooding, down trees and power lines and will effect all from Maryland to Maine.

It took weeks to restore power after Irene.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:37 PM

24,874 posts, read 22,349,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Loss power and down trees,will keep away the voters. This storm has about same strength as Hurricane Irene that consist of inland flooding, down trees and power lines. last year and will effect all from Maryland to Maine.

Its not going to be that bad. I've worked Hurricane clean up on the gulf coast, and I worked the Tornado outbreak in Alabama also.

I knew a few guys who went up to conneticut after that storm, and their words were, "This has got to be the worst electrical grid I have seen in America in my life".

I was scheduled to go up there as well, but it was seen that the storm was so minor within a day, that no further outside assistance was needed.

A Cat 1 storm just isn't that bad.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:39 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,355,184 times
Cat 1 + cold front = bad

It could have an impact on Pennsylvania which has a better chance of going Red than say, NY.

What would be the best thing possible (and I dont even know the legality of it) is if the storm comes through and its awful, if both campaigns used their remaining funding to provide people access to the polls. Rent out school buses, etc. Do this in the name of democracy....absolutely nothing indicating Obama paid for this or Romney paid for this. Just a way for people to be able to exercise their right to vote.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 PM

52 posts, read 121,726 times
Romney will win because he is the better candidate, it will have nothing to do with the storm.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 PM

8,560 posts, read 5,825,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Loss power and down trees,will keep away the voters. This storm has about same strength as Hurricane Irene that consist of inland flooding, down trees and power lines. last year and will effect all from Maryland to Maine.

It took weeks to restore power after Irene.
I agree. After a big dangerous storm like this one is forecast to be, it's not unusual for power to be out for a week or more. People forget about how difficult life can be without electricity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections