Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 11:07 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,242,796 times

Advertisements

Leadership: Romney Uses Campaign Bus to Deliver Hurricane Relief

"The Romney campaign has canceled campaign events, commercials, and fundraising appeals in states that will be impacted by Hurricane Sandy, and is instead using a campaign bus to help deliver supplies to those who will be impacted by what forecasters are predicting may be a 'storm of the century."'

"And, according to CBS News:
The campaign is taking similar precautions in New Hampshire, where Ann Romney was supposed to be on Monday. They have cancelled that visit and are instead using another campaign bus to help with relief there."

These are people who truly care about others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 11:09 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,328,034 times
Leadership?
He's a private citizen putting himself in the middle of a disaster.
Yeah, that's leadership, um, no.

If he were so interested he'd have done that for the numerous other disasters we've encountered.

Grandstanding, yes; opportunist, yes.
Leadership, no.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:12 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,242,796 times
Private citizens can not be leaders?

How do you know what he's done during numerous other disasters?

Romney shows both leadership and character.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:14 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,228,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Leadership?
Yeah, that's leadership, um, no.

If he were so interested he'd have done that for the numerous other disasters we've encountered.

Grandstanding, yes; opportunist, yes.
Leadership, no.

well, if anything, at least he is trying to help. obama will probably just go out for another round of golf.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,328,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Private citizens can not be leaders?

How do you know what he's done during numerous other disasters?

Romney shows both leadership and character.
Yeah, flip-flop equals character. Sure it does.
He'd be telling the world if he did anything good.

Lots of people are leaders and possess leadership skills.
Others, it's simply leader****.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:23 PM

800 posts, read 783,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Romney believes the government helping Hurricane Sandy victims is immoral:

Mitt Romney In GOP Debate: Shut Down Federal Disaster Agency, Send Responsibility To The States

During a CNN debate at the height of the GOP primary, Mitt Romney was asked, in the context of the Joplin disaster and FEMA's cash crunch, whether the agency should be shuttered so that states can individually take over responsibility for disaster response.

"Absolutely," he said. "Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that's the right direction. And if you can go even further, and send it back to the private sector, that's even better. Instead of thinking, in the federal budget, what we should cut, we should ask the opposite question, what should we keep?"

"Including disaster relief, though?" debate moderator John King asked Romney.

"We cannot -- we cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids," Romney replied. "It is simply immoral, in my view, for us to continue to rack up larger and larger debts and pass them on to our kids, knowing full well that we'll all be dead and gone before it's paid off. It makes no sense at all."
Well considering that in this case he is acting as a citizen not as the government such thinking is invalid.

And yes states rights has been under attack for a while particularly by the current administration and I as someone with family in Florida I can assure that sending categorical or even block grants to state run relief orgs who know the state better than a massive federal bureaucracy will mitigate the inefficiencies and mistakes FEMA has repeatedly made.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:24 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,060,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Leadership?
I am a private citizen currently putting together a signup sheet that will facilitate private citizens mobilizing in event of a natural(or other wise disaster).

I have done much more to help people then just sign up volunteers - but I don't see a need to brag about that - and I only mention what I do when challenged by liberals who think they are cute by pitting liberals against conservatives vis a vis volunteerism.

I wil also be an available volunteer ready to serve if our team is required to spring into action.

People who try onesupmanship in this area are pathetic.

Are you volunteering to help out in such a manner?

Or do you only think that government has a role to play in the event of any crisis or emergency.

I know people who have volunteered in New Orleans following Katrina - and a member of my family has gone overseas to foriegn countries to help people suffering in those places(both are Republicans by the way).

I am sick and tired of hearing liberals say that "they care" but only promote government as being the engine that can do any good - while at the same demonizing Republicans as "not caring".

If you volunteer, donate to charity, and do good things - that is great - so do I.

Do not try to pump yourself up as somewhat better because of your political affilation.

People who are truly interested in service have no need to promote themselves.

So shove your dismissal of Mitt Romney's efforts.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:59 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,587,908 times
I'd feel better about his decision if he removed or painted over his campaign logos. Leave politicing out of a natural disaster.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:08 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,121,714 times
My question is, will Romney follow in Ryan's footsteps and wait for till after the clean up for a photo-op of Romney clearing a few treess that the campaign bought at Home Depot for the occasion?

Old 10-29-2012, 12:11 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,228,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
My question is, will Romney follow in Ryan's footsteps and wait for till after the clean up for a photo-op of Romney clearing a few treess that the campaign bought at Home Depot for the occasion?

or like obama and his photo ops of him drinking at a bar with all the little people, or going out to eat at a mcdonalds all the while his wife is complaining about everyone elses diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections