Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 05:15 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,452,995 times

Advertisements

I donate stuff to the Red Cross all the time, call them and the can and do pick it up in the driveway..
Though I naver have donated food, the take any household item I have ever called about..
I'm not sure how they use it though, maybe sell it in thrift stores..??
They even leave a form for tax purposes..

Old 10-31-2012, 05:21 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,386,612 times
Those damned Republicans and their charitable donations. They should rot in hell for hindering the efforts of all those trying hard to help those devastated in this Republican caused storm.

Gawd, you in the media, democrats and liberals are nothing short of pathetic.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:40 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,262,141 times
Good for Mitt, I am sure, if I had lost everything I would be thrilled to get whatever. I know all those people who lost their homes in the Joplin tornado 18 months ago took everything that was offered to them: yes,much of it was food and supplies and yes, the Red Cross was there to help. I think the OPs post is a little strange...

Old 10-31-2012, 05:45 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,602,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm sure the people in tent cities will not appreciate the food. This is a ridiculous "policy." As someone who has been through a hurricane, I can say that physical donations actually do help and I have no idea why any non-profit would turn it down if someone wanted to donate it.

That being said, I'm not sure he is actually asking for donations to the Red Cross specifically, all that I've seen says he's asking for monetary donations to the Red Cross and is actively soliciting for people to donate money via text. The physical goods might be going to another agency.
This is yet another made up load of BS from the desperate, nasty, left!

The emails from Mitt Romney and his campaign manager, both of which i have received a few times, do not ask for food. Both ask for donations to be made to the Red Cross and both refer the reader to the Red Cross link/website. The emails specifically refer people to the site where the Red Cross lays out what is needed.

And I agree with you, having been thru several hurricanes and even tropical storms that caused huge damage, physical goods are always needed and much appreciated.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:04 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,916,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
United Way:

DONATIONS OF FOOD, CLOTHING, MEDICINE ARE NOT HELPFUL
For the following reasons, well-intentioned and generous donations of food, clothing and medicine is not the appropriate way to help victims of natural or man-made disasters.

HUMANITARIAN AID IN TIMES OF DISASTER
The Red Cross, for which Romney is soliciting donations, doesn’t even accept goods. “Unfortunately, due to logistical constraints the Red Cross does not accept or solicit individual donations or collections of items. Items such as collected food, used clothing and shoes must be sorted, cleaned, repackaged and transported which impedes the valuable resources of money, time, and personnel,” the NGO’s website explains. With financial donations, they can buy exactly what is needed closer to the site, and it helps stimulate the local economy in the process.

As Stacy Palmer, the editor of the Chronicle of Philanthropy, explained to NPR last year after Japan’s tsunami, ”Lots of people coming in with lots of donated goods often, instead of helping, gets in the way of really efficient disaster recovery.”
Mitt Romney’s home state of Massachusetts takes an even tougher stance. “Donated goods and volunteers that are not specifically needed in a disaster area can hurt more than help. Well-intentioned but ill-conceived shipments of goods and volunteers to an area impacted by a disaster can actually cause a ‘secondary’ disaster, in spite of the fact that donors really only want to help,” the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security, which he oversaw as governor, states.
Mitt’s useless “storm relief” - Salon.com
Mitt is clueless about most anything to do with the American people, so you can't blame him, he is just following instructions. But, the Romney campaign "big thinkers" thought his political/humanitarian display and photo op would help his chances. The reverse is likely true.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:14 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,602,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Mitt is clueless about most anything to do with the American people, so you can't blame him, he is just following instructions. But, the Romney campaign "big thinkers" thought his political/humanitarian display and photo op would help his chances. The reverse is likely true.
Another useless response!

Mitt did NOT, repeat to *******s that cannot understand common english, DID NOT ask supporters to donate goods! He asked them to help and provided a direct link to the Red Cross website to see what is needed and what is best to do.

I love how desperate the left is! You know your POS POTUS is going down and ya'll are grasping at every straw to try to reverse the situation.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:15 AM

14,532 posts, read 11,358,472 times
Since when are food and other emergency supplies "useless"?

BTW, disaster zones attract volunteers by the thousands, I'm sure that these volunteers can be used to help distribute whatever comes in.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:19 AM

376 posts, read 655,710 times
Collecting food and sending to people in need is a horrible thing to do. These Libs are pathetic.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:22 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,774,242 times
Living here near where the huge fire burned in Bastrop, I can tell you that there were tons of donated clothes and food. The tide truck was there for washing clothes. People donated horse trailers, animal crates, animal food, property to keep animals on etc.....all greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-31-2012, 06:37 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,916,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Another useless response!

Mitt did NOT, repeat to *******s that cannot understand common english, DID NOT ask supporters to donate goods! He asked them to help and provided a direct link to the Red Cross website to see what is needed and what is best to do.

I love how desperate the left is! You know your POS POTUS is going down and ya'll are grasping at every straw to try to reverse the situation.
Errr....

Romney restarts campaign after hurricane pause

and ...

WKEF-TV ABC 22 News :: News - Top Stories - Romney Rally Time Change in Kettering; Event Will Be Relief Event
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections