Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 06:39 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,602,185 times

Advertisements

Errr.....this has NOTHING to do with the LIES about asking his supporters to donate supplies to Red Cross.

But nice attempt at deflection again.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:44 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,756,861 times
Romney is asking people to donate money to the Red Cross and is collecting goods/supplies to send to sites they have identified that can distribute them.
This may be shocking news to you, but the Red Cross is not the only charity in the country.
My husband spend a week in NO volunteering after Katrina, and the organization he helped with did take supplies.
And our church was a Red Cross shelter for months. It's true that the Red Cross does not take donations of supplies. They had to throw away a ton of homemade food people from the community brought them. But for canned foods that were donated- our church took them weekly to a local food bank. And for clothes, our church washed them and started a clothes closet. The people at the Red Cross shelter could pick things out from the church's clothes closet. And when the shelter eventually closed, our church donated the remaining clothes to local charities.
So donations do get used, except for homemade food.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:50 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,351,011 times
Call me cynical but I believe the only reason Mitt was asking people to bring can goods to his campaign rallies is so he could still hold a rally and not look like he was ignoring the pain and hardship so many people in the East are going through, and so he could get he his picture taken loading can goods onto his bus. It's all about the photo-op.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,916,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Errr.....this has NOTHING to do with the LIES about asking his supporters to donate supplies to Red Cross.

But nice attempt at deflection again.
He asked his minions to donate supplies. Duh, read the links.

Romney event turns into relief effort for victims of hurricane | The Columbus Dispatch

"The campaign asked for nonperishable donations despite the fact that the Red Cross does not typically accept or solicit individual donations or collections of items because of the extra labor involved with sorting, cleaning, repackaging and transporting such items.".

It seems the Red Cross is not partial to photo ops in a disaster situation. Get used to it, the political opportunist tried to get some cred, ...., it backfired! That is nothing new with Mythster.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:05 AM

998 posts, read 1,219,566 times
Mitt Romney is correct & you guys are political hacks & suckers. If you donate money, they will launder the money by overpaying a business who donated to a political campaign. They will pay a campaign donor over $100 bucks to give someone in need a hamburger instead of the canned food you wanted to donate. I can prove it.

Right after the Haiti earth quake Bill Clinton was on C-Span saying donate to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund. He said that their biggest problem was that there were not enough tarps or trucks anywhere they could buy with the money. They badly needed tarps for shelters & trucks to transport supplies. It just so happened that I had a semi truck loaded with tarps at that time & had no immediate plans for them. So I immediately went to their website & called them up. I told them I had a semi truck loaded full of tarps to donate. I said I could take them to the STL international airport within an hour so they could be flown directly to Haiti. They said they did not want them. They said they only wanted money. I said Bill Clinton said on TV that they had money but had no tarps or trucks to buy with that money. They still repeated they only wanted money! Later I discovered they paid a campaign contributor 10 times the going rate for some tarps! The tarps I wanted to donate for FREE would not pay back their contributors.

Last edited by KrazeeKrewe; 10-31-2012 at 07:39 AM..

Old 10-31-2012, 07:12 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,650,291 times
Cool hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Since when are food and other emergency supplies "useless"?

BTW, disaster zones attract volunteers by the thousands, I'm sure that these volunteers can be used to help distribute whatever comes in.
Clearly the Red Cross doesn't agree with what you think you know.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:15 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,650,291 times
Exclamation lol.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
Collecting food and sending to people in need is a horrible thing to do. These Libs are pathetic.
Romney’s home state of Massachusetts takes an even tougher stance.
“Donated goods and volunteers that are not specifically needed in a disaster area can hurt more than help. Well-intentioned but ill-conceived shipments of goods and volunteers to an area impacted by a disaster can actually cause a ‘secondary’ disaster, in spite of the fact that donors really only want to help”
There's always that person who knows better than everyone else, exactly what everyone else needs.

Don't be "that guy".

Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,602,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Romney is asking people to donate money to the Red Cross and is collecting goods/supplies to send to sites they have identified that can distribute them.
This may be shocking news to you, but the Red Cross is not the only charity in the country.
My husband spend a week in NO volunteering after Katrina, and the organization he helped with did take supplies.
And our church was a Red Cross shelter for months. It's true that the Red Cross does not take donations of supplies. They had to throw away a ton of homemade food people from the community brought them. But for canned foods that were donated- our church took them weekly to a local food bank. And for clothes, our church washed them and started a clothes closet. The people at the Red Cross shelter could pick things out from the church's clothes closet. And when the shelter eventually closed, our church donated the remaining clothes to local charities.
So donations do get used, except for homemade food.
This ^^^ 100%!

I love the way the left is trying to spin this to make Romney look bad. It is almost comical.

Romney clearly steers his supporters to the Red Cross website regarding donations. And the goods he is taking in will go to charities that do indeed disburse these types of contributions during disaster times. Not only are there several charities that help, I am beginning to think the Red Cross might want to re-evaluate their rules.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:21 AM

14,532 posts, read 11,358,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Clearly the Red Cross doesn't agree with what you think you know.
The Red Cross never used the words "useless", the insipid (and harmful) Salon article did. That was what I was responding to.

BTW, does bold mean we are yelling at each other?

Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,661,746 times
Well, I think it's a terrible time to down others for trying to help. I realize the point: someone who wants to be president should already know what the red cross excepts but, trying to help is noble. I appreciate any effort in the wake of a disaster regardless of it's result. Even from Mitt, it's well meaning I'm sure.

People should be putting aside politics in light of Sandy and it's devastation. IMO of course. Gov. Chris did a good job of this and I commend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections