Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,602,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
Mitt Romney is correct & you guys are political hacks & suckers. If you donate money, they will launder the money by overpaying a business who donated to a political campaign. They will pay a campaign donor over $100 bucks to give someone in need a hamburger instead of the canned food you wanted to donate. I can prove it.

Right after the Haiti earth quake Bill Clinton was on C-Span saying donate to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund. He said that their biggest problem was that there were not enough tarps or trucks anywhere they could buy with the money. They badly needed tarps for shelters & trucks to transport supplies. It just so happened that I had a semi truck loaded with tarps at that time & had no immediate plans for them. So I immediately went to their website & called them up. I told them I had a semi truck loaded full of tarps to donate. They said they did not want them. They said they only wanted money. I said Bill Clinton said on TV that they had money but had no tarps or trucks to buy with that money. They said they only wanted money! Later I discovered they paid a campaign contributor 10 times the going rate for some tarps! The tarps I wanted to donate for FREE would not pay back their contributors.
Wow! How sad.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,917,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well, I think it's a terrible time to down others for trying to help. I realize the point: someone who wants to be president should already know what the red cross excepts but, trying to help is noble. I appreciate any effort in the wake of a disaster regardless of it's result. Even from Mitt, it's well meaning I'm sure.

People should be putting aside politics in light of Sandy and it's devastation. IMO of course. Gov. Chris did a good job of this and I commend it.
The people making to donations did so in earnest. Can't say the same for the opportunistic candidate.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,273,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Call me cynical but I believe the only reason Mitt was asking people to bring can goods to his campaign rallies is so he could still hold a rally and not look like he was ignoring the pain and hardship so many people in the East are going through, and so he could get he his picture taken loading can goods onto his bus. It's all about the photo-op.
could be right, but regardless, he is helping those in need. I still say, good for him, if he can help those who need it, more power to him...

That being said, anything that appears in Salon, just like H Post and a few others needs to be taken with a grain of salt; it is slanted and most people realize that.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:32 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,077,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm sure the people in tent cities will not appreciate the food. This is a ridiculous "policy." As someone who has been through a hurricane, I can say that physical donations actually do help and I have no idea why any non-profit would turn it down if someone wanted to donate it.

That being said, I'm not sure he is actually asking for donations to the Red Cross specifically, all that I've seen says he's asking for monetary donations to the Red Cross and is actively soliciting for people to donate money via text. The physical goods might be going to another agency.
I too have been through many hurricanes, some very bad. We appreciated everything because nothing else was getting in. We lost all of our food, shelter, etc. When the food trucks aren't coming and the grocery stores are closed, it was really nice to have those charities that came down and offered food (as an fyi, the church volunteers always seemed good at going around and making sure those people affected got food). Red Cross does their part too but they have a different role in these disasters. From what I've seen, Mitt has personally taken up donations for goods and has asked people to donate to the Red Cross. This is a silly reason to criticize him. From what I've seen from this storm response thus far, everyone from the President, to Christie, to Romney are all doing the right things. So, come on people, lay off.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:39 AM

25,867 posts, read 20,807,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Another useless response!

Mitt did NOT, repeat to *******s that cannot understand common english, DID NOT ask supporters to donate goods! He asked them to help and provided a direct link to the Red Cross website to see what is needed and what is best to do.

I love how desperate the left is! You know your POS POTUS is going down and ya'll are grasping at every straw to try to reverse the situation.
Yes, he did ask for food donations.

Washington Post

Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 AM

25,867 posts, read 20,807,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
could be right, but regardless, he is helping those in need. I still say, good for him, if he can help those who need it, more power to him...

That being said, anything that appears in Salon, just like H Post and a few others needs to be taken with a grain of salt; it is slanted and most people realize that.
Did you notice that the Salon article quoted the information directly from the Red Cross website?
No, probably not.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,664,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The people making to donations did so in earnest. Can't say the same for the opportunistic candidate.
In reality I think they both really care right now. It's hard not to care when you see such an event. I voted for Obama but I still think Mitt truly cares about those people as well. I believe that both candidates really care about helping those victimized by Sandy.

That said, now I don't believe they both care about the homeless guy or the lower middle class family trying to pay for an ultrasound their kid needs or the like. If only both could apply this kind of relief and this gusto for help to the average sufferer I'd be grateful and shocked. Maybe this will be an eye opener. People suffer like this daily, we should be helping them as well.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,602,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Washington Post
Per a newspaper article! His direct emails did not ask for food donations to the Red Cross.

Either way.....how pathetic, disgusting, and sick an individual must be to demonize anyone trying to help those in need. Those people should be gathered up and dumped on an island somewhere and left to deal with each other's nastiness.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:47 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,664,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Washington Post
Hopefully they can forward the food to the homeless shelters so it's put to good use.

Like the mother who lost her home trying to rid herself of cancer said. "If only I'd been the victim of a tornado or hurricane, I might be able to get the home I lost back for my kids."

Old 10-31-2012, 07:51 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,917,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
In reality I think they both really care right now. It's hard not to care when you see such an event. I voted for Obama but I still think Mitt truly cares about those people as well. I believe that both candidates really care about helping those victimized by Sandy.

That said, now I don't believe they both care about the homeless guy or the lower middle class family trying to pay for an ultrasound their kid needs or the like. If only both could apply this kind of relief and this gusto for help to the average sufferer I'd be grateful and shocked. Maybe this will be an eye opener. People suffer like this daily, we should be helping them as well.
You are probably right that Mitt is a caring person, the problem is, he doesn't know how to do it. Among many other things, a President needs to know how to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections