Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 AM

25,867 posts, read 20,807,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Hopefully they can forward the food to the homeless shelters so it's put to good use.
If it doesn't interfere with ongoing recovery efforts, I suppose they will.
However, have to ask, should the agencies already working according to a developed plan stop what they are doing to distribute these goods?
Should they have to deal with where to store them, who should get them, etc. when there are so many other things to do?

Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,664,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If it doesn't interfere with ongoing recovery efforts, I suppose they will.
However, have to ask, should the agencies already working according to a developed plan stop what they are doing to distribute these goods?
Should they have to deal with where to store them, who should get them, etc. when there are so many other things to do?
Not at all, there are places right now in any state that do accept food. Food banks would take it and at least it would do some good for those who have already been suffering under the radar regardless of a hurricane. I'm sure there is a food bank in Jersey and I'd say the people who were already going hungry before the hurricane hit could really use that can of beans right now.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:58 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,077,636 times
Let me just add one more thing to this thread. This is how it works after a major hurricane if you're ever in one. First, most people do evacute but right after the storm, they're desperate to get back to their homes because unfortunately, looters are a very real thing and can be a huge problem. However, that area is usually closed off until search and rescue is done - which is usually done by the Coast Guard and/or National Guard. Once that is completed, they usually will allow residents only into the area - so make sure you keep your driver's license with correct address updated!

Now, you go in there with no idea what you're facing. If you're smart, you've gone in there with a week or even two of supplies, a chainsaw (always needed), and whatever you evacuated with. We've had two instances of total loss to our home. One was when we had 4 feet on sand in the house and the other, the house got knocked off the pilings. So, then you carefully starting picking through what you can find and start taking pictures of the damage (insurance reason you know). And now you wait. If you can still kind of live in the home, you try and protect it from further damage (e.g tarps on the roof etc). You better hope you brought in the right supplies because they won't be available for a 100 mile radius.

Why are you waiting here? The insurance adjusters. They send out teams at this point. During huge storms, they generally have a policy of don't call us, we'll find you. So you keep waiting. One week stretches into two and more. You hear from the neighbor that there's a relief center a few miles down giving out some food. You go in search. Sometimes you get there and they're out. Sometimes you get there and get lucky to get a hot meal or bag of something. Then you have the government centers (they're always the worst at getting information out to people). They offer you a card to buy food with. Oh except there are no stores to buy said food and no electricity still!

During this time you see scores of electricity trucks, most of them from all over the country. You manage to flag one down. They end up being from some distance place. You're so thankful to see them. Except they can't tell you anything and they're primary job is to first repair the substations because those have been totally destroyed. Power to your house? That could be a while.

Then you start seeing some of the smaller charities that are making their way through the area. These guys bring food and even more important - information! You thank them profusely as you sit and wait for that damn insurance adjuster. Finally, one day, the guy shows up. You have to argue with him on what is water and what is wind damage. Everyone leaves this meeting frustrated but at this point, you're just thankful you're getting closer.

Some of the stores have finally opened. Contractors are coming up. You now have your insurance money. That new roof you need? Normally $9,000. Now? Those contractors wants $25,000. You argue, try to find an honest one, are on a waiting list, etc. All in all, it takes about a year before you finally get back to 'normal'. You think back through what you've survived and are thankful you're safe and figure this is just the price you pay for living on the coast. You don't complain, you just survive.

I've done this. There's people on this board that have done this. Trust me. If anyone wants to help, those people affected don't get a rat's azz if that person is from a church, an atheist, a Republican, or a Democrat. It is a surreal experience and until you've been through it, I would keep the criticism of those trying to help at a minimum. Any help is help at the end of the day.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:00 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,602,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Let me just add one more thing to this thread. This is how it works after a major hurricane if you're ever in one. First, most people do evacute but right after the storm, they're desperate to get back to their homes because unfortunately, looters are a very real thing and can be a huge problem. However, that area is usually closed off until search and rescue is done - which is usually done by the Coast Guard and/or National Guard. Once that is completed, they usually will allow residents only into the area - so make sure you keep your driver's license with correct address updated!

Now, you go in there with no idea what you're facing. If you're smart, you've gone in there with a week or even two of supplies, a chainsaw (always needed), and whatever you evacuated with. We've had two instances of total loss to our home. One was when we had 4 feet on sand in the house and the other, the house got knocked off the pilings. So, then you carefully starting picking through what you can find and start taking pictures of the damage (insurance reason you know). And now you wait. If you can still kind of live in the home, you try and protect it from further damage (e.g tarps on the roof etc). You better hope you brought in the right supplies because they won't be available for a 100 mile radius.

Why are you waiting here? The insurance adjusters. They send out teams at this point. During huge storms, they generally have a policy of don't call us, we'll find you. So you keep waiting. One week stretches into two and more. You hear from the neighbor that there's a relief center a few miles down giving out some food. You go in search. Sometimes you get there and they're out. Sometimes you get there and get lucky to get a hot meal or bag of something. Then you have the government centers (they're always the worst at getting information out to people). They offer you a card to buy food with. Oh except there are no stores to buy said food and no electricity still!

During this time you see scores of electricity trucks, most of them from all over the country. You manage to flag one down. They end up being from some distance place. You're so thankful to see them. Except they can't tell you anything and they're primary job is to first repair the substations because those have been totally destroyed. Power to your house? That could be a while.

Then you start seeing some of the smaller charities that are making their way through the area. These guys bring food and even more important - information! You thank them profusely as you sit and wait for that damn insurance adjuster. Finally, one day, the guy shows up. You have to argue with him on what is water and what is wind damage. Everyone leaves this meeting frustrated but at this point, you're just thankful you're getting closer.

Some of the stores have finally opened. Contractors are coming up. You now have your insurance money. That new roof you need? Normally $9,000. Now? Those contractors wants $25,000. You argue, try to find an honest one, are on a waiting list, etc. All in all, it takes about a year before you finally get back to 'normal'. You think back through what you've survived and are thankful you're safe and figure this is just the price you pay for living on the coast. You don't complain, you just survive.

I've done this. There's people on this board that have done this. Trust me. If anyone wants to help, those people affected don't get a rat's azz if that person is from a church, an atheist, a Republican, or a Democrat. It is a surreal experience and until you've been through it, I would keep the criticism of those trying to help at a minimum. Any help is help at the end of the day.
Well said and very true!!! All should read this post.

Been there, done that...... Hugo and living on the Island was NOT a fun time!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:09 AM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,731,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post

Thank you for this post. Isn't it amazing what some people will say and do because they are jealous of another's generosity. I saw Romney on TV working as hard as he could and the look of joy on his face while he was doing it spoke volumes. Obama is still talking but Romney was doing. I know the difference.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Thank you for this post. Isn't it amazing what some people will say and do because they are jealous of another's generosity. I saw Romney on TV working as hard as he could and the look of joy on his face while he was doing it spoke volumes. Obama is still talking but Romney was doing. I know the difference.
Most smart people do know the difference, thank goodness.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Oh my, you sure didn't get what I got out of this post.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Most smart people do know the difference, thank goodness.
Wow, really? Just wow!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Oh my, you sure didn't get what I got out of this post.
Oh my, there are several online courses for reading comprehension if you need help.

I got the same thing out of the post that the previous poster did! I think you are off tract.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:21 AM

14,532 posts, read 11,359,750 times
Quote:
Wow, really? Just wow!
Do you have anything intelligent to add? Wows and emoticons don't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections