Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 10:21 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
United Way:

DONATIONS OF FOOD, CLOTHING, MEDICINE ARE NOT HELPFUL

For the following reasons, well-intentioned and generous donations of food, clothing and medicine is not the appropriate way to help victims of natural or man-made disasters.

HUMANITARIAN AID IN TIMES OF DISASTER
The Red Cross, for which Romney is soliciting donations, doesn’t even accept goods. “Unfortunately, due to logistical constraints the Red Cross does not accept or solicit individual donations or collections of items. Items such as collected food, used clothing and shoes must be sorted, cleaned, repackaged and transported which impedes the valuable resources of money, time, and personnel,” the NGO’s website explains. With financial donations, they can buy exactly what is needed closer to the site, and it helps stimulate the local economy in the process.

As Stacy Palmer, the editor of the Chronicle of Philanthropy, explained to NPR last year after Japan’s tsunami, ”Lots of people coming in with lots of donated goods often, instead of helping, gets in the way of really efficient disaster recovery.”
Mitt Romney’s home state of Massachusetts takes an even tougher stance. “Donated goods and volunteers that are not specifically needed in a disaster area can hurt more than help. Well-intentioned but ill-conceived shipments of goods and volunteers to an area impacted by a disaster can actually cause a ‘secondary’ disaster, in spite of the fact that donors really only want to help,” the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security, which he oversaw as governor, states.
Mitt’s useless “storm relief” - Salon.com
Red Cross and United Way Translation: "We can't pay ourselves with your clothing and cans of beans, we need you to write us a check so we can take a good 70% of the top for our own pockets."

Romney took a venue that had already been booked, changed from campaigning to donating, got people to donate goods and you lefties call that a bad thing.

I've never seen so many moronic posts on City Data as I have since Sandy came to town.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:25 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,592,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
It turns out Romney only spent 10 minutes at his "hurricane relief event" that was a scheduled campaign rally the day before.

Shameless!......LOL
Link??? Or is this another shameless lie?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:26 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,372,829 times
One of the things Americans do best is come together at times of calamity and fellow need.

God bless Romney, Christie, and Obama for their concerted efforts to help all in need. There are thousands, no millions of others also working for fellow Americans in this struggle.

With everyone pulling together we'll patch up the damage.

I'm ashamed the media has take this tack in such a storm. Come on media, weren't ya'll affected by it as well?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,354,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
United Way:

DONATIONS OF FOOD, CLOTHING, MEDICINE ARE NOT HELPFUL
For the following reasons, well-intentioned and generous donations of food, clothing and medicine is not the appropriate way to help victims of natural or man-made disasters.

HUMANITARIAN AID IN TIMES OF DISASTER
The Red Cross, for which Romney is soliciting donations, doesn’t even accept goods. “Unfortunately, due to logistical constraints the Red Cross does not accept or solicit individual donations or collections of items. Items such as collected food, used clothing and shoes must be sorted, cleaned, repackaged and transported which impedes the valuable resources of money, time, and personnel,” the NGO’s website explains. With financial donations, they can buy exactly what is needed closer to the site, and it helps stimulate the local economy in the process.

As Stacy Palmer, the editor of the Chronicle of Philanthropy, explained to NPR last year after Japan’s tsunami, ”Lots of people coming in with lots of donated goods often, instead of helping, gets in the way of really efficient disaster recovery.”
Mitt Romney’s home state of Massachusetts takes an even tougher stance. “Donated goods and volunteers that are not specifically needed in a disaster area can hurt more than help. Well-intentioned but ill-conceived shipments of goods and volunteers to an area impacted by a disaster can actually cause a ‘secondary’ disaster, in spite of the fact that donors really only want to help,” the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security, which he oversaw as governor, states.
Mitt’s useless “storm relief” - Salon.com
[SIZE=3]They were also donating money. The goods will get to where they need to through other avenues if they have to. [/SIZE]

Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,592,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The arrogant stupidity I'm seeing in this thread is almost enough to make me vote for Romney after all.
I sure hope you do!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:29 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,014,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There is certainly a place for charities in local events. But when something the magnitude of Sandy or Katrina happens, there is no church or state government that possesses the resources to handle it. Today, the Navy announced they are moving three helicopter carriers to the Jersey coast to help with rescue and recovery operations. I don't know of any churches that have aircraft carriers. Do you?
No, they can't handle it alone. But to pretend they do not have a role to play, even in a large-scale disaster, is ignorance.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:30 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,354,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Red Cross and United Way Translation: "We can't pay ourselves with your clothing and cans of beans, we need you to write us a check so we can take a good 70% of the top for our own pockets."

Romney took a venue that had already been booked, changed from campaigning to donating, got people to donate goods and you lefties call that a bad thing.

I've never seen so many moronic posts on City Data as I have since Sandy came to town.
It might be infected drinking water causing it? But then that wouldn’t explain their problem before!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:30 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
I heartily applaud all who help if they are helping for the right reasons.

Mr.Romney has demonstrated that he is not above politicizing anything, so, I think that cynicism is well-warranted in this instance.

I truly hope that people are ultimately helped by Mr. Romney's efforts as, I'm sure, everyone does.
But, it does not give him immunity from his continuous lying and other craven behavior.
Sorry, it just doesn't.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:32 AM

275 posts, read 419,812 times
Default So well said Stayinformed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
The attempted, disgusting, spin on Romney for doing something good in the wake of this disaster is beyond the pale. It also shows the total lack of class and humanity in the democratic party. Wow - your true lights shines and it is UGLY!

I will 'hope' that you endure such an event and others attempt to demonize people whom help you. How about you 'change' your nasty attitude and say a prayer of thanks that you are not in the shoes of those in need right now.
I so agree.. How "dare" he help Hurricane Victims right BEFORE an election?

Meanwhile right after 911, Obama wants to blame some minor video on the deaths of 5 Americans in Bengazi!

Makes a lot of sense, does it not? WRONG!

Well, I tell you what, I really don't "get" why these so called "liberals" even call themselves liberals.

you liberals nowadays have ruined the reputation of the Democratic party to its hilt!

To think I was once a "liberal" and once a long time Democrat, but I'll NEVER be one again! You people are strange, evil, dishonest & so hostile to anyone who thinks differently than you do!

That's NOT what a liberal is.. A liberal has a broad minded view of people and ACCEPTS other people's points of view!

I will go help Mr. Obama get packed up after Nov 6th, cuz I do NOT think he's gonna win this election again!

No way in hell! Do you see though, how "helpful" he's seeming to be, after the Hurricane? I think he's doing it for political purposes myself.

I'm concerned though how many people will NOT be able to vote in this upcoming election, considering the power is out in so many places!

Can the election happen on a date AFTER Nov. 6th, due to this enormous hurricane?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 AM

17,404 posts, read 11,988,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
"milking with our money"? Are you able to let go of your hatefullness long enough to realize the area's that were hardest hit were "tax payers areas?"

Did you also forget that MANY OF THE STATES ARE BROKE?
So were these areas. But apparently, if you are a STATE that doesn't support this president, you're on your own.

TX denied federal Disaster Declaration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections