Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,988,251 times

Advertisements

I never expected he would do anything different under the circumstances nor would I expect any other person running for president to do anything different.

Having said that, can we agree that Ryan's photo op of washing dishes was disgusting. At least Romney actually did something productive.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,601,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You forgot "with someone else's money".
Ooopss....my mistake. And that is a HUGE mistake as we all know the left only attempt to use someone else's money. Pathetic.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,601,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Good For Obama.

Why should Texas be able to underfund it's State services then come running to the Fed for money?

This is how Texas wants it.

New York, New Jersey ...they pay their bills, unlike most Red States.
Stupidity at it's finest, once again! Do you also want to add California to your little 'blue' list?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:38 AM

63,917 posts, read 46,950,687 times
Having volunteered as a sorter at major food pantries for years, let me tell you about food donations.

Every package/can needs to be individually inspected for expiration dates. It's not uncommon to recieive canned good donations 10-20 year beyond expiration year. It's not uncommon to receive opened and partially consumed package goods. Saltine cracker boxes that should contain 4 sleeves of crackers contain one half-full sleeve- too common.

Anyone want to venture a guess how common it is to recive donations of canned " spotted dick"?

Some folk are nuts and donate their garbage and then feel good about doing so. In other words, the food donations are all about the giver.

Appreciate Red Cross does not have the recources available to tackle the mounumental task of inspecting donations. It's far more productive for Red Cross to purchase in bulk and dispense.

Red Cross has several doner matching programs that allow an individual $ donation to multiply.

Folk who want to make a difference give $.

68,404 posts, read 54,685,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
what is an honest democrat? They would need to be put on the endangered species list

And an honest Republican would have to be put on the extinct list, eh?

IF you were honest with yourself you'd admit that people who help for the correct (not right ) reasons feel no compulsion to make their help public.

17,412 posts, read 12,039,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You'd have a point if he were advocating policies that helped people in a crisis.

He's actually working to end FEMA and for the States to take over.

Do you understand what poor Southern States would do to prepare for disasters? Not a damn thing.

Survival of the fittest. Dog-eat-Dog would be their strategy towards helping hurricane victims.
You know this how? More liberals lies. There is NO evidence that any state would refrain from preparing. And if they did, the citizens of that state would only have themselves to blame, electing officials that refuse to prepare.

Considering FEMA is a useless, corrupt, bloated and unnecessary federal agency, Romney's got the right idea. I don't like money laundering when done by the mob, or the government.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,929,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Having volunteered as a sorter at major food pantries for years, let me tell you about food donations.

Every package/can needs to be individually inspected for expiration dates. It's not uncommon to recieive canned good donations 10-20 year beyond expiration year. It's not uncommon to receive opened and partially consumed package goods. Saltine cracker boxes that should contain 4 sleeves of crackers contain one half-full sleeve- too common.

Anyone want to venture a guess how common it is to recive donations of canned " spotted dick"?

Some folk are nuts and donate their garbage and then feel good about doing so. In other words, the food donations are all about the giver.

Appreciate Red Cross does not have the recources available to tackle the mounumental task of inspecting donations. It's far more productive for Red Cross to purchase in bulk and dispense.

Red Cross has several doner matching programs that allow an individual $ donation to multiply.

Folk who want to make a difference give $.
Then why do they ask for food donations?

31,384 posts, read 37,175,657 times
Any Honest Democrats Willing To Admit Being Embarrased by the Romney's Helping Charity Freakouts today?

The only way that I can be honest is to say that the only thing that I am embarrassed about is Romeny's cloyingly transparent gambit. I am also embarrassed by the fact that someone with such management experience wouldn't do like every other corporate donor involved in relief activities, call the freaking Red Cross and ASK what they need, FIRST.

12,642 posts, read 15,648,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post
I'm concerned though how many people will NOT be able to vote in this upcoming election, considering the power is out in so many places!

Can the election happen on a date AFTER Nov. 6th, due to this enormous hurricane?
Yes. It will take an Act of Congress.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 AM

275 posts, read 421,604 times
Default Point well made, PoppySead, :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I think both are doing a good job helping out people through this disaster.

I only hope this is an eye opener for the next four years for either Mitt or Obama in office.

People all over the country need this kind of support from their government everyday. Maybe if we treat our homeless, jobless, foreclosed, medically in dept, etc....population with the same support we'll get the idea of what our government should be used for. To help this nation, gather up support to help those who find themselves in the line of any disaster.
Regardless of party lines. Instead of wanting to stay out of it.
I do see this quite a bit in our country. Lack of regard for the poors, the disabled, the elderly who cannot hardly afford much of anything, the homeless..
Their lives & daily problems are regularly swept under the rug, but they've paid their fair share of taxes & donated to the government for years on end with their state & local taxes, so they ought to be helped.

Mother Nature can be quite cruel, and there's no telling what else she could do to us? We're pretty lucky it wasn't a category 2 or 3 or even 4, instead of a category 1 Hurricane.

New Jersey is gotten slammed on the coast, as did NYC, and parts of Connecticut coastline.
How did Massachusetts shoreline fare? Ok, I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections