Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,931,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Any Honest Democrats Willing To Admit Being Embarrased by the Romney's Helping Charity Freakouts today?

The only way that I can be honest is to say that the only thing that I am embarrassed about is Romeny's cloyingly transparent gambit. I am also embarrassed by the fact that someone with such management experience wouldn't do like every other corporate donor involved in relief activities, call the freaking Red Cross and ASK what they need, FIRST.
This is just totally sick that people are criticizing someone for charity. Unbelievable.

12,481 posts, read 10,256,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And an honest Republican would have to be put on the extinct list, eh?

IF you were honest with yourself you'd admit that people who help for the correct (not right ) reasons feel no compulsion to make their help public.
I bet the people who get the help romney donated will not ask where it came from

31,384 posts, read 37,189,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Then why do they ask for food donations?
For local food banks, yes, for disasters no.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:42 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,805,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I never expected he would do anything different under the circumstances nor would I expect any other person running for president to do anything different.

Having said that, can we agree that Ryan's photo op of washing dishes was disgusting. At least Romney actually did something productive.
Well looking back, don't you think it was a bit OTT when Obama declared that Trayvon Martin could have been his son?

One doesn't have to experience a disaster first hand - loose everything, including their home, to understand that there are people/families out there hurting - hurting real bad. And they don't question where help comes from, they are just thankful that they got help, as small as it could be.

17,415 posts, read 12,044,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Good For Obama.

Why should Texas be able to underfund it's State services then come running to the Fed for money?

This is how Texas wants it.

New York, New Jersey ...they pay their bills, unlike most Red States.
Yup, typical "compassionate liberal".

And you're right - it IS how Texas wants it. See, it can be done. Well, if you're not of the entitlement, veal calf variety of taxpayer.

19,784 posts, read 15,170,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I'm amazed at this board this morning. There are at least 5 threads criticizing Romney for helping. I'm assuming the thread starters have never volunteered to help after a natural disaster. My family did a lot of help charity post Katrina. My husband left his job and our family for 8 days to do hard labor in Louisiana helping with the cleanup. I volunteered at a Red Cross shelter. We sent money and supplies to schools in Mississippi that were acting as shelters to their families and teachers. And did much more.

After something like this happens, many of the victims end up with nothing. They need so much. I applaud everyone who is giving their time and money to help their fellow Americans. There are tons of organizations and inviduals who take the money and supplies to get them to the affected people.

And I'm honestly embarrassed for anyone who is sniping today at those who are helping. Anyone else willing to join me in saying this petty sniping should stop and we should spend our time collecting and donating ourselves? I titled this thread to the Dems b/c that's who all the attacks are from this morning.
Wow, we completely ignored the slams from the other side, didn't we?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:43 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,914,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Having volunteered as a sorter at major food pantries for years, let me tell you about food donations.

Every package/can needs to be individually inspected for expiration dates. It's not uncommon to recieive canned good donations 10-20 year beyond expiration year. It's not uncommon to receive opened and partially consumed package goods. Saltine cracker boxes that should contain 4 sleeves of crackers contain one half-full sleeve- too common.

Anyone want to venture a guess how common it is to recive donations of canned " spotted dick"?

Some folk are nuts and donate their garbage and then feel good about doing so. In other words, the food donations are all about the giver.

Appreciate Red Cross does not have the recources available to tackle the mounumental task of inspecting donations. It's far more productive for Red Cross to purchase in bulk and dispense.

Red Cross has several doner matching programs that allow an individual $ donation to multiply.

Folk who want to make a difference give $.
Thank you for this information. One would think that someone in the Romney camp would have checked with the Red Cross before beginning this food drive. You have to wonder if he is this inept with a simple volunteer effort how he would handle other more difficult things required of a president. If anything, given what you have posted, this whole debacle has been more detriment than help to his campaign.

63,917 posts, read 46,963,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Then why do they ask for food donations?
Red Cross is asking for $ and blood donations for disaster relief.

13,887 posts, read 13,727,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
what is an honest democrat? They would need to be put on the endangered species list
No kidding. Not to mention just plain stupid. Witness some of the threads on just this subject alone.

The real photo op expert is that useless 0bama. He's parading his azz all over the place, but doing nothing. Just walking about looking stupid. NYC (bloomie) told him to stay away. Yet Romney is staying out of the way whilst encouraging people to donate. And he's the bad guy?

Libs truly don't know how badly their brains are wired.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:44 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,931,074 times
Default Washington Post: Romney makes personal donation to red cross.

Romney makes personal donation to Red Cross

Romney has donated personal $$$ to the Red Cross rather than just food. OK liberals, have at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections