Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,249,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I also feel he has been disrespected and am voting for him and honestly, if he were a hispanic who had been disrespected in the same fashion and had the exact same record, or even someone of Polish descent being the target of disrespect due to ethnicity, I would vote for him/her rather than for the party of disrespect.
Obama is getting the lack of respect that he deserves. He spent four years telling us that our successes are due to government, and its not fair..

Dont expect me to weap for a loser that demands other people pay for even bigger losers lack of willing to take part in the success of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 06:21 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,774,469 times
Pennsylvania absentee ballots favor Romney over Obama - mcall.com

According to the Department of State, as of Oct. 24, Republicans had requested 125,020 absentee ballots to Democrats 106,250: a GOP advantage of roughly 18,750. Independents and third-party voters have asked for 27,891 absentees. Republican ballots make up 48 percent of the total, while Democrats make up 42 percent of the total.

What's it all mean? In 2008, Democrats requested 156,982 absentee ballots to Republicans' 160,292, so both have a ways to go in the final six days. Independents requested 35,892 ballots in the last presidential election. Roughly 90 percent of the ballots requested in all three categories were voted.

18,750 ballots? They're getting excited over a margin on absentee ballots like that?? Wow.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:20 PM

30,173 posts, read 18,766,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipGrant View Post
Anyone who is an Obama supporter has the advantage mainly because of the amazing ground game he has going on in Ohio right now. I am hearing that in many early voting stations its packed with new voters each and every single day in many of the huge Ohio metropolitan centers. African American turn out is much bigger in Ohio than it was four years ago. Obama is not going to get 95% of the AA vote, he is more likely going to get 98 or 99%. Just today one of my friends from Columbus said she and her whole family (large one too) are going to vote early this week. One other friend (who is Caucasian) said she has not been contacted by a Romney ground worker, but contacted twice by Obama ground workers. Voting centers are packed and buses are driven to get citizens out to the polls early I believe one of Romneys comments irritated the African American community this month.

As previous posters mentioned, if Obama gets his supporters to turn out he will win Ohio. So far he is doing it in record numbers in that state, it is amazing. You really can not measure that in the polls. I just do not understand why so many of the right wingers here are in denial.
Right-

This is 2012, not 2008. There is no such thing as "the minority vote" and the vote of "the youth". That was a centennial aberration.

Romney wins popular vote by 6% and Obama gets only 218 electoral votes. Let us take a look at this a week from now. Liberals are delusional, as they have made poor choices in life. I have made very good choices (which is why I am wealthy and you are not). Let's see who is right.

Liberals can cling to fantasy and remain liberal. I prefer to live in the rational world of reality and call human nature as I have seen it over a long period of time.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:24 AM

63,156 posts, read 29,329,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with the OP, my mom says they have come to her house twice as well and FWIW, she lives in an integrated neighborhood where there are slightly more whites than blacks and there are some hispanics in her neighborhood as well.

As a black person, I will share that I know many black people, and have many relatives in Ohio who have felt that they will not consider anyone but Obama because they feel he has been disrespected for being black over the course of his first term and as such they will support him. Don't know if that correllates to voting for Obama because he is black or not, but I also feel he has been disrespected and am voting for him and honestly, if he were a hispanic who had been disrespected in the same fashion and had the exact same record, or even someone of Polish descent being the target of disrespect due to ethnicity, I would vote for him/her rather than for the party of disrespect.

On a whole though, I don't really even think of his race. I think he is more of a genuine person than Romney, I actually know a bit about Romney of old and liked the old him better than this new him who goes back and forth between being a moderate and extreme right wing conservative.
Have you given any thought as to why a president regardless of skin color would be disrespected? When our country is flailing under whatever president is in charge at the time don't you think they deserve disrespect? Bush got a lot of disrespect that he earned. Did you and your fellow blacks vote for him because he was disrespected? I think not!

Old 10-31-2012, 06:32 AM

20,947 posts, read 19,094,572 times
Just what we need....a bunch of welfare recipients choosing our next POTUS.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:41 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,860,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Have you given any thought as to why a president regardless of skin color would be disrespected? When our country is flailing under whatever president is in charge at the time don't you think they deserve disrespect? Bush got a lot of disrespect that he earned. Did you and your fellow blacks vote for him because he was disrespected? I think not!
I think a lot of the disrespect shown to Obama is not deserved. I understand the deficit complaints and even the EPA regulations and things dealing with the economy. I also can understand the opposition to Obamacare and the stipulations of that legislation. I can understand the complaints about Libya and Syria and other foreign policy issues, even the "he apologizes" blahblahblah stuff to foreign leaders and all that jazz.

What I and many other black people see as disrespectful and which have caused a lot of black people to be more involved in this election than they would be had not this disrespect have taken place, is due to the birther stuff and Donald Trump and the fact that many top GOP candidates do not put these fools in their place so to speak. Never, in our modern era has a president's birth certificate been put under such scorn or their social security number been leaked and told was not in the state of their birth and how he is some sort of beneficiary of a conspiracy theory to make him president. Many black people do not like the comments that GOP leaders said, immediately following Obamas election, that their priority was "ensuring he was a one term president." This was before he even did anything. Many black people don't like that his success in academia is considered by many only to be the affects of Affirmative Action. This is especially true for middle class, college educated black people, like myself. Even though I am independent and have a poor view of extreme liberals and their desires to "save" us blacks, I see many republicans use of "he got into Columbia/Harvard/Occidental" due to Affirmative Action, in the same respect. For me it shows that even when any black person is academically successful, you will put it off on something else. For a historical reference, Frederick Douglass was also half white, because AA wasn't around back then, people attributed his success (intelligence, able to self educate, his use of proper grammar and his command of the English language) to being half white. If it isn't AA it will be something else. His wife is repeatedly disrespected, you can look at the "Moochelle" thread for evidence of this. Other than Hillary Clinton, I cannot think of another First Lady in the past 60 years who has had to endure such disrespect and even Hillary's disrespect was more about her involvement in government than Michelle's. Hillary was ridiculed for staying with her husband after his philandering with Monica Lewinsky amongst other women, and for wearing pants suits, but that was about it. Laura Bush was never ridiculed for trying to get parents to read to their kids. I guess people see reading to kids as a good thing, but not feeding kids healthy food and ensuring they get adequate exercise. I agree with both, we should nourish minds and bodies effectively IMO and and other black people do not get the constant criticisms of Mrs. Obama. Another disrespectful comment black people don't like is the "we have to take our country back" comments. Many see that as a way to say "get this n*gger out of the White House." Maybe that is not what many mean by that phrase, but it comes off that way. I could go on and on about items seen as disrespectful to black people, made by GOP lay members and politicians but I do feel that it will fall on deaf ears. Many of you do not see it, as you are mired in prejudice against black people and don't think that it is disrespectful. You are entitled to that belief but black Americans are entitled to theirs as well and many will vote for Obama just to stick it to you so to speak for being so disrespectful and childish in your attitude about the president and his family. I actually put myself into this category, but also I don't see any options better than Obama anyway.

And FWIW, I was not disrespectful of our previous president. I could call GW Bush "my" president and not change his name to fit some cute, childish moniker. I did not agree with him on a lot of his decisions, mostly our involvement in Iraq and his irresponsible actions fiscally. But on the whole, I thought he was a decent fellow - really personable and funny, nothing like Romney BTW. I also liked Laura Bush and thought she was a classy lady. I still like her and I think Bush is smart to stay out of the limelight and I don't blame him for not giving interviews or being involved in politics. I'm sure he's had enough and just wants some peace and quiet. I am happy their daughters are doing well and I was upset when one of his daughters drunken escapades were put into the media as I don't feel that the media should be sticking their noses into the goings on of presidential children like that. Most black people didn't like Bush because he was a Republican, simple as that. Most black people don't like Republicans, mostly due to the disrespect I spoke of above that is not only showed to the Obamas but black people in general in this country in regards to thinking all of us are criminals, dumb, don't care about our children, don't value education, depend on the government to take care of us, etc. etc.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,860,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Just what we need....a bunch of welfare recipients choosing our next POTUS.
See above post for further reference of GOP disrespect about black people. I don't have any relatives in Ohio in my immediate family (don't know about all the extended family) who are on welfare and yet all of them who have voted so far have voted for Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
How exactly has he been discriminated against for his race? For being a Democrat - okay, that might be a justified charge. But his race? No. It is charges like this that allows bigots to trivialize real discrimination.
I did not say "discriminated" I said "disrespected." See my above post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections