Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 AM

90 posts, read 344,565 times

Advertisements

I doubt he would be able to win, even a nomination. He is far too obese.

Nothing to do with looks and everything to do with the perception of health and self-control. Perception, not reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,873,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katheh View Post

Nothing to do with looks and everything to do with the perception of health and self-control. Perception, not reality.
We currently have an overweight first lady. Why not an overweight president? We also currently have a president that has a history of smoking and admitted drug use, neither of which are healthy.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:19 AM

22,198 posts, read 19,490,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
We currently have an overweight first lady. Why not an overweight president? We also currently have a president that has a history of smoking and admitted drug use, neither of which are healthy.
Are you trying to suggest Michelle Obama and Chris Christie are in remotely the same category??

Anyway Christie's gun control views are probably going go be hard or him to overcome in a GOP Primary. He also will likely face a tough challenge next year against Newark Mayor Cory Booker.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:35 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
They already have. When it was thought that he would run or would be the VP pick they called him everything and his weight was a constant joke. There are threads here with some of the same folks saying some really disgusting things about Chris Christie.

Also, the OP is incorrect about Christie not being popular with the GOP. For some reason, he is extremely popular. I never have understood why, because he is actually far more moderate than Mitt Romney. I don't think most really know this though. His 'in your face' attitude is what makes him likeable to some I guess.

He was asked to give the keynote speech at the convention for a reason.
Christie is an excellent and passionate speaker. I doubt seriously that he will easily quit his job as New Jersey's Governor; I was actually impressed with what he said and how he acted when Sandy hit; he wasn't acting, and his concern for his citizens was evident. He was also blunt and tough on the citizens who were taking the risks casually, which also impressed me.

I think that he's a pretty good match for the people he serves, but would not not so good as a national candidate. His New Jersey ways would wear thin for many in a national campaign. it's one thing to get tough with the folks who are like him, but his attitude would turn a lot of people off in many other places in the nation.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:47 PM

14,496 posts, read 20,693,049 times
Christie sure is positioning himself well, being buddy buddy with Obama, last night and today.

I wonder what Romney thinks of Christie's very verbal praise of the President and hurricane relief efforts?
Christie went way beyond being gracious and non political. He knows his own re-election comes up in 2014 and if Romney loses, Chris wants to be the top GOP dog in 2016, as he takes on Hillary Clinton.

Now if Romney wins next week, then the above does not work.
Romney could have a great first term and be re-elected, pushing Christie's hopes for the White House out to 2020. Hillary might be waiting on him then too.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:52 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,578,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Overall, I kind of like Christie
I kinda like him too, but only because every time I see him, he reminds me of Peter Ustinov.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katheh View Post

I was thinking the same thing today when I saw him with Obama. I like him and have been impressed with his no-nonsense attitude towards the election. I don't know how much of that is real - but it seemed real.

BUT, even thinking about the company I work for - perception is everything and one sees very few top managers in the obese category - for the very reasons mentioned above. The perception of health and self-control.

Perception seems to be everything these days; but he could certainly drop a few if he wanted it bad enough.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:37 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,774,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Jindal makes Romney appear charismatic. At least Romney is photogenic, Jindal looks like he was hit with an ugly stick, a few dozen times. Unattractive and no charisma, not a winning combo for national politics. Jindal has peaked.
LOL!

Old 10-31-2012, 04:40 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,774,085 times
Well, a straight up, no bs guy would be light years better than Mr. Romnesia and Lyin Ryan.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:54 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,175,494 times
If Christie were the candidate this time around I think he would've gotten into a fist fight with Obama during the debates.

Like...legit a knock down, jersey shore, lower-middle income neighborhood, brawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections