Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 05:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
.... so if Romney wins, I guess I'll at least see it as an indication that the average American voter isn't quite as uninformed as the people here on City-Data who seem fixated on his underwear to the exclusion of the issues.
***cough, cough***

Excuse me, but some of us have been fixated on his underware and the issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 08:35 PM

28,104 posts, read 30,010,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Oh come on Katz,i've been slacking a bit lately but I still post somewhat regularly....and my ward still lets me in the door on Sunday.
Yeah, but do they think you're a visitor and ask you to introduce yourself?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
All the mormons that I know with the exception of one are voting for Obama. They all are very well educated. I hate to stereotype, but mormons put an emphasis on education.
I know more than a half a dozen practicing Mormons who are voting for Obama, and I'm sure there are others. We are clearly in the minority, though. And yes, I really, really, really wanted Huntsman to get the nomination.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:38 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,554,573 times
It would mean that most of the country has moved past religious bigotry.

Now...if we can only elect an atheist.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,459,962 times
i'm a mormon and the only thing that romney's possible election means to me as a mormon is that his screw-ups will reflect poorly on my religion. people will be quick to point fingers at the rest of us for his dishonesty and greed. i don't like the guy any more than i like obama––they're both the same old brand of sleazy politician in my book.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:02 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,017,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Mormons have been historically maligned and discriminated against. This is a huge moment of validation.
White mormons haven't been discriminated against since the 19th century. We are in for trouble if Romney wins and makes this country a theocracy.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,617,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Did I say I was speaking for Mormons? No, if I were trying to do that I would not have started my sentence with "I'm not Mormon..." I have no idea what Mormons think about it, but I think as a nation we allow people to have different beliefs and it's not an issue. Kennedy was Catholic and I couldn't even tell you what religion any other president was other than most have been Protestant. I'm not even sure what religion Obama is. And just because someone claims a certain religion doesn't mean they even actually practice it.
Really, Obama is Christian. Can't you tell by all the blessings during his speeches. lol

Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,617,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
***cough, cough***

Excuse me, but some of us have been fixated on his underware and the issues.
Yea, I agree, they sort of blend for me. Anyone who would wear magical underwear is hard for me to take seriously. But, to be fair, anything where religion is mixed with politics is hard for me to take seriously. Like a God wants you to be president. Plaaaeeezzz

I'm adding a question, do you think he still can't have friends that aren't Mormon? That might be hard when you are president.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Yea, I agree, they sort of blend for me. Anyone who would wear magical underwear is hard for me to take seriously.
Among the LDS Church’s fifteen highest ranking leaders (the “First Presidency” and the “Quorum of the Twelve Apostles") are eight men with doctorate degrees from Harvard, Yale, Purdue, and Duke. Three are lawyers, one of them a former Supreme Court Justice and law clerk to U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice, Earl Warren, one a heart surgeon and the former president of the Society for Vascular Surgery and chairman of the Council on Cardiovascular Surgery for the American Heart Association, several who were professors at Stanford, Texas Tech and the University of Chicago, one of them being a university president. One was the former senior vice president and chief pilot of Lufthansa Airlines. One was on the staff of Adm. Hyman Rickover, developing military and private nuclear power reactors. One was the CEO of a California health care system, another the associate general counsel of what is now Bank of America in Charlotte, N.C. Several fought in World War II. If you think for one minute that any of these individuals believe their underwear to be magical, you're the one with a few screws loose.

Quote:
I'm adding a question, do you think he still can't have friends that aren't Mormon? That might be hard when you are president.
What on earth would prompt such a ludicrous question? Are you seriously of the opinion that Mormons can't have non-Mormon friends? Please tell me you're not guite this uninformed.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
White mormons haven't been discriminated against since the 19th century. We are in for trouble if Romney wins and makes this country a theocracy.
Every time someone's choice not to vote for Romney has anything to do with his religious beliefs, that's discrimination. Discrimination hardly has to involve violence or even the threat of violence. Any time anyone tries to convince people that Romney shouldn't be elected "because he's a Mormon," that's discrimination, pure and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections