Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM

210 posts, read 270,513 times

Advertisements

"This year, the GOP adopted - again - a platform under which no woman could ever legally have an abortion. Not if she was impregnated by her own father. Not if she was raped. Not if the abortion were needed to save her life. Never. Because life is sacred."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM

17,412 posts, read 12,039,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
morals like forcing a woman to have a baby even though is in poverty, a drug addict or has an abusive partner?
No, morals like "if you're a women in poverty, you're a drug addict, or have an abusive partner, how about you NOT have sex, and get your freaking life together."

Old 10-31-2012, 02:26 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,369,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Because "most" is not the same as "more than one"?
The question remains: What makes you think most women are voting for Obama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No, morals like "if you're a women in poverty, you're a drug addict, or have an abusive partner, how about you NOT have sex, and get your freaking life together."
Just curious as to what premise you have to tell people how to live their life? That seems pretty odd to me if you value personal rights and freedoms. As far as I can tell, they just want abortion asa choice, not something that is forced on anyone. I dont see how personal freedoms are enhanced by removing freedoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Having morals is one thing. Forcing morals down other people's throats is something totally different. The Republican party is attracting more and more religious extremists, while letting the more moderate core slip away. I can no longer count how many of my friends and acquaintances that used to be Republican are now registered as Independents. From conversations, the general reason is that they don't agree with the moral majority of the Republican party. Hence, the Republican party had better get moderate again, or as the younger generation comes up to voting age (the generation who realizes that gay marriage is nobody's business but the people getting married, for example) the Rs will be greatly outnumbered by the Ds.

Quite frankly, even though I was once a registered Republican, I veered away from the party over a decade ago. I still believe that Romney will be a better choice than Obama, but it isn't because of his social views. In fact, I am directly opposed to his and the Republican party's views on gay marriage and planned parenthood. The only reason he will win my vote this year is because of the economy and Obama's failures in foreign policy. Honestly, if the economy was showing true signs of improvement instead of the sluggish growth that we are seeing, or if Obama could manage to answer a direct question about why his policies have failed without blaming Bush or the Republican Congress, my vote would probably go the other way, due to the Republican stance on gay marriage alone.

In short, if your morals stem directly from your religious belief, you don't have any right to force others to follow those same morals. In the case of gay marriage and abortion, I'll simply state this: If you are against gay marriage and/or abortion, don't participate in either one. However, you do not have the right to keep other people from participating in them. Abortion is already allowed under our laws, and the chances of Roe v. Wade being overturned are less than slim and a whole lot closer to none. Gay marriage, I firmly believe, will be legalized in my lifetime, simply due to the fact that the LGBT community is more open and accepted than they have ever been, and people are finally starting to realize that the LGBT community is made up of people like their next door neighbors, friends, and colleagues. Personally, even though I will be voting for Romney this year, I will also still be arguing in favor of equal rights for everyone, which is what the Republican party used to stand for.
Morals can be poor morals, you know. So yes, I disagree with the women that shouldn't be having children forcing their horrible morals on me, the taxpayer, that's FORCED to pay for their lack of morals.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:30 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,590,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The question remains: What makes you think most women are voting for Obama?

Are you asking me or the OP?

(You might want to discuss dosages with your physician - you seem a little confused)

Old 10-31-2012, 02:31 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,596,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
When you got leaders in your party pulling hairs between different types of rape and God's will, you will lose votes by sane women.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icametodropbombs View Post
Just curious as to what premise you have to tell people how to live their life? That seems pretty odd to me if you value personal rights and freedoms. As far as I can tell, they just want abortion asa choice, not something that is forced on anyone. I dont see how personal freedoms are enhanced by removing freedoms.
It's called "passing judgement". And I feel free to pass that judgement. If you are incapable of raising a child, and you got pregnant anyway, and want to kill that child - yup, I WILL tell them how I think they should live their life.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,641,657 times
Quote:
It's called "passing judgement". And I feel free to pass that judgement. If you are incapable of raising a child, and you got pregnant anyway, and want to kill that child - yup, I WILL tell them how I think they should live their life.
But you will not be successful - so talk away. Sorry - but you DON'T GET to tell people how to live their life and what moral choices they get to make. NOT with regard to abortion anyway - sez the Supreme Court. So - get over it.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Then I am glad I live in the US where people can have whatever opinion they want but do not control our lives. This is what makes America so great: judge all you like but don't tell others how to live thier lives. Freedom for all Americans is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections