Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 08:53 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times

Advertisements

I'm not a party guy, my voter reg says "no affiliation" and I never vote straight ticket but I supported Obama in 2008 and again this year because I think he was the best guy for the job . . . but one thing that's really been bothering me over the last 2 months of campaigning is the suggestion that white voters are somehow swinging right and voting against Obama because of race or that the only reason that Obama is going to win is because of shifting demographics. I'm not gonna say it's offensive but, considering that 2/3 of Obama's support is from the white vote it is insulting.

Some of it has been in a semi-humorous context (like Chris Rock's recent video)

Chris Rock - Message for White Voters - YouTube
and some of it has been more "analytical" but if you're really going to analyze it:

Whites break ~40% for the Democrat candidate with incredible reliability over the last 20 years.

in 1992 they were 39% for Clinton
in 1996 it was 44% for Bubba
in 2000 Gore got 42%
in 2004 Kerry got 41%
in 2008 Obama got 43%
in 2012 Obama got 39%

Likewise the black vote is typically ~85% for the Democrat candidate.

For all of the talk on both sides (including from the racist corner like Sununu and Trump) American voters appear to be largely unconcerned with race when it comes to pulling the lever and far more concerned about political party or the values associated with that party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections