Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

If true, that is actually down from 2008, so what is the problem? Many here on CD said he would get 98% of the black vote. He didn't. In 2008, I believe he got 95% of the black vote.

If the GOP stops characterizing all of us black Americans as welfare grabbing, non-job having, uneducated, povery stricken, criminals, then maybe more of us will vote for them. I am actually very fiscally conservative and if there weren't the aura of "blacks are the source of all problems in this country" from many lay members and a few candidates of the GOP, then I would gladly be a republican. My family and friends joke all the time that I am a "black republican" since I have voted for local republicans before, but never for a presidential candidate as the GOP candidates have to appeal to too many prejudicial people and spout too many stereotypes or say idiotic things about people of different ethnic backgrounds AND women and I don't support them due to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times
The Republican Party is widely perceived as the party of white racism and white racists. Whether that is true or not it is the problem that republicans need to address if they want to remain relevant.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
I'm an independent but I'm also mixed race so I don't know where that puts me.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:58 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
So you're suggesting that it was a vote against the GOP rather than for Obama? Very possible. Still, why? I'm not surprised that Obama won, just that 93% of blacks voted for him. African Americans are suffering from this economy more than most. I'd have thought hat more than 1 in 15 would want a change -- any change.
Frankly, this has an easy answer. African-Americans suffer more than other racial groups in the US in *every* economy. The worst unemployment rate for white Americans is normal for black Americans. We're used to it, and never expected Obama to magically change that.

On the other hand, we will not vote for people who howl about how we love being on welfare, how we're about to riot over an election, how we want free stuff, how we're brainwashed, or how we're plantation slaves. The GOP insists on insulting black Americans directly in front of media cameras, so we vote against them.

This is not difficult to understand. When Obama said that rural Pennsylvanians were "bitter", everyone knew that it was a mistake. Why is it so difficult to understand that black voters don't vote for the party that belittles them continuously?

Old 11-07-2012, 10:02 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,740 times
Oh but this is not racism in the least. It's only racist when it's the reverse because of course the white men researched and selected the person they felt best for the job. Blacks? Everyone knows they just picked Obama because he is black because black people are incapable of making informed choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
over 80 percent of southern white males voted for romney. race? ideology? something else?

Old 11-07-2012, 10:02 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Because they are brainwashed.
Everytime a Republican opens their mouth or writes a comment like that another African American becomes a more dedicated Democrat. Why you people can't figure that out is beyond me.

Here in Philadelphia a lot of church going black bible thumpers were seriously questioning voting for Obama over the same sex marriage issue, then what happened, state house Republican leader Mike Turazi opens his mouth and says "Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done.” Black folks across Pennsylvania quite correctly took that as a direct threat to curtail hard won right of African Americans to vote (see history of O.V. Catto). As a result voter turnout for African Americans was higher than in 2008.

My suggestion is that Conservative Republicans should put their hand over the mouths of their idiot cousins and keep them off of the internet until such a time that they learn how to talk with the African American community and all people of color in a respectful and appropriate manner or be prepared for decades of beat downs at the polls.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
Quote:
So you're suggesting that it was a vote against the GOP rather than for Obama? Very possible. Still, why? I'm not surprised that Obama won, just that 93% of blacks voted for him. African Americans are suffering from this economy more than most. I'd have thought hat more than 1 in 15 would want a change -- any change.
Why are blacks suffering more? During the recession, the avg. household net worth of whites increasred to $100K while it decreased for blacks?

Why do you think that was the case?

Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
As did women; as did other minorities. What reason does the Republican party give for these demographics to vote for your candidate?

None!

Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM

121 posts, read 152,910 times
Have a look at the exit polls by race:

All states
Change from 2008
White Romney 59% Romney +20% McCain +12%
Black Obama 93% Obama +87 Obama +91
Hispanic Obama 71% Obama +44 Obama +36
Asian Obama 73% Obama +47 Obama +27

President Exit Polls - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com

Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times
Republicans, is it that hard to stop insulting us. That is the basic reason you never get our votes. You believe all blacks are lazy, stupid, brainwashed, welfare-dependent people. Tell me, in what world would an african american vote for a party that feels that way about us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections