Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
She is an Obama supporter!!!! It's sarcasm. This is exactly what I mean by African Americans are simply too invested in racial grievance to think straight.
I don't think African-Americans are "too invested in racial grievances". I say that we never forget what has been done to us. For this reason, I don't find things like the "sarcasm" funny at all. In fact, the entire reason African-Americans are here today is BECAUSE our ancestors were enslaved. Of course, I don't expect you to understand or care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If the Republican Party wants to survive, it has to purge its party of people who make racial comments.
Ironic statement considering the post you responded to and if you think the Dems are free of racism think again.

You can start with how White liberals don't dare put their kids in schools with urban Blacks. I guess being progressive stops with ones owns kids best other people try it first.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/ed...education.html

Quote:
Tim Thomas, a fund-raiser who is white and lives in Flatbush, writes a blog called The Q at Parkside, about the neighborhood. He has spoken to white parents trying to comprehend why the local schools aren’t more integrated, even as white people move in. “They say things like they don’t want to be guinea pigs,” he said. “The other day, one said, ‘I don’t want to be the only drop of cream in the coffee.’ ”
Decades of academic studies point to the corroding effects of segregation on students, especially minorities, both in diminished academic performance and in the failure to equip them for the interracial world that awaits them.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I don't think African-Americans are "too invested in racial grievances". I say that we never forget what has been done to us. For this reason, I don't find things like the "sarcasm" funny at all. In fact, the entire reason African-Americans are here today is BECAUSE our ancestors were enslaved. Of course, I don't expect you to understand or care.
What has been done to you? You are a citizen of the wealthiest country in the world and are free to learn, work and earn a living that allows you to enjoy a standard of living most people around the globe could only dream of.

So your ancestors were sold by Africans to European merchants. Boo hoo.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
What has been done to you? You are a citizen of the wealthiest country in the world and are free to learn, work and earn a living that allows you to enjoy a standard of living most people around the globe could only dream of.

So your ancestors were sold by Africans to European merchants. Boo hoo.
Black people had to fight to get what they have now. It wasn't just given to Black Americans. We had to fight for this.

The same might have happened to your ancestors, so I don't think you should be finding this funny.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Black people had to fight to get what they have now. It wasn't just given to Black Americans. We had to fight for this.

The same might have happened to your ancestors, so I don't think you should be finding this funny.
You are now a beneficiary of their struggle so go forth young man, look forward and stop whining. Have you found a job yet? I recall you were unemployed with a geography degree or something.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Ironic statement considering the post you responded to and if you think the Dems are free of racism think again.

You can start with how White liberals don't dare put their kids in schools with urban Blacks. I guess being progressive stops with ones owns kids best other people try it first.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/ed...education.html
I never said Democrats were free of racism. I said if the Republican Party is to attracted more Black people, it is going to have to address the issue of certain elected officials making racist statements.

You have conservatives who won't send their children to school with Blacks as well. It happens with both liberals and conservatives.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
You are now a beneficiary of their struggle so go forth young man, look forward and stop whining. Have you found a job yet? I recall you were unemployed with a geography degree or something.
I'm doing the best I can considering my situation. I have been applied for alot of jobs in the field of cartography and GIS for past few months. I just finished writing another cover letter. I've actually been rejected by quite a few companies. I have the education they are asking for, but they are also claiming that they want people who have at least 2 or 3 years experience. How am I suppose to get experience if no one will give me the chance? Answer that for me.

Last edited by green_mariner; 11-20-2012 at 01:54 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 01:56 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Everyone will be affected by mass immigration I chose to focus on Blacks because I'm Black. Also I'm glad you'll be ok during the illegal invasion but it's not all about you.
LOL about the illegal invasion !!

How will you fare with the illegals coming in and taking your job lol! Do you think they will? Are you afraid of them?

I know too many people who are very much like me, who are white, Asian, and black, who are valued employees or who know how to go out and do what they have to do (legally) to make a living. Honestly, I know more black people like this any any others, mostly because I mostly know black people since I live in a city populated with a large amount of blacks. Most of them are self proclaimed "hustlers" they have great work ethics and will sell products or services and do what they need to do to make money. I know some black guys who are contractors who actually hire "Mexicans" (most aren't Mexican, they are Guatemalan mostly) to work for them. They pay these guys under the table and the Mexicans aren't going to be affected by the amnesty, maybe their children will who have lived here a long time, but not the guys I have met, who came here when they were adults and didn't graduate high school here. I guess you could say that some black or white guys without jobs willing to work for independent contractors under the table might be affected by the "illegal invasion."

I hope for your sake that you don't have a job one of the illegals can take. All the black people who work with me have jobs that illegals cannot take. I work with mostly black people and I assist in hiring/firing people. We only have one Hispanic worker in the whole company in our region so it is just not something that is worried about in my field in general.

You do realize though that your fear and paranoia about immigrants taking jobs is nothing new right? This has been going on since the beginning of our country, which is why I (and no matter what you say EVERYTHING is about me lol) am not afraid of immigrants. They will keep coming no matter what. You need to deal with it and quit being afraid of them. If you have a good education, good people and work skills/qualifications, then no immigrant will take a job from you.

Quote:
I'm doing the best I can considering my situation. I have been applied for alot of jobs in the field of cartography and GIS for past few months. I just finished writing another cover letter. I've actually been rejected by quite a few companies, claiming that they want people who have at least 2 or 3 years experience. How am I suppose to get experience if no one will give me the chance? Answer that for me.
You need to do some temp work or internships. You may have to work for free in your field or for very little for a while, which should be doable since you are living with family. Also don't just send out resumes/cover letters, go to companies/agencies/organizations and meet some people. Look all over the country. I hope you are able to find something in your field soon.

ETA: Labs or classwork - your education can be considered as experience as well, any projects you worked on can be experience in your field. I would also speak to your old professors for job leads if you haven't done so already. I did a quick indeed search and saw aentry level cartography jobs in SC and an internship here in Tucker GA. I really hope you are successful soon though. Long term job searches can be grueling for the psyche.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
You need to do some temp work or internships. You may have to work for free in your field or for very little for a while, which should be doable since you are living with family. Also don't just send out resumes/cover letters, go to companies/agencies/organizations and meet some people. Look all over the country. I hope you are able to find something in your field soon.
I had an internship. Most companies want more than that.

I don't have a car, so I'm severely limited when it comes to transportation. And I am looking all over the country. I was willing to take a job in Canada, but the way Canadian immigration works, getting a job is hard. You have to have a job lined up and this is if a company wants to sponsor you. Some companies don't want to sponsor foreign workers.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I'm doing the best I can considering my situation. I have been applied for alot of jobs in the field of cartography and GIS for past few months. I just finished writing another cover letter. I've actually been rejected by quite a few companies. I have the education they are asking for, but they are also claiming that they want people who have at least 2 or 3 years experience. How am I suppose to get experience if no one will give me the chance? Answer that for me.
A lot of these companies simply don't want to invest any training in people. It's a shame. Hang in there something will turn up. Is there maybe a way you can submit a sample of your work in addition to cover letter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections