Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times

Advertisements

Bad comment, but I do wonder about the independent vote being moved by the admin's rapid response. Not due to the Christie photo op, due to W. No doubt, many voters recalled our nationally embarrassing response to Katrina, negating the good job the GOP did at keepiong W hidden all year.

A repeat of the Katrina FEMA response FIASCO would have meant Romney won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Bad comment, but I do wonder about the independent vote being moved by the admin's rapid response. Not due to the Christie photo op, due to W. No doubt, many voters recalled our nationally embarrassing response to Katrina, negating the good job the GOP did at keepiong W hidden all year.

What rapid response? Are you paying attention to how bad things are?
The Obama put on his bomber jacket and posed with Christie. What else?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
What rapid response? Are you paying attention to how bad things are?
The Obama put on his bomber jacket and posed with Christie. What else?
For a storm like Sandy hitting the most densely populated region, it was rapid. Add in this came in at the worst angle for storm surge possible, with the water levels 24 hours before touchdown slightly past Irene levels. Ouch!!

BTW, many of my relatives are up there (Hard for you to know from Louisiana!!), and have dealt with several response teams. Tremendous progress was made very quickly; much of Southern Ct had power in 48 hours or less.

NJ did take the worst hit, and like NO, it will take longer to fix. But Thank God, Brownie the Clownie was not running FEMA.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:14 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Chris Matthews on Obama win: 'I'm so glad we had that storm' | Fox News

With Joe Biden being kept mostly muzzled, it looks like Chris Matthews wants to fill that niche. Even if you interpret it generously, not literally, it's still a problematic remark. Matthews followed up by saying "The storm brought in possibilities for good politics..."

Is it really a good reflection on American politics that the vote hinges on a storm? BTW not much has been said about the storm with regard to the election. Before the storm, Romney had a small but fairly solid lead in the Rassmussen poll. After the storm that lead evaporated and it did appear that there was a little 'storm bump' for Obama that may have been just enough to get him over the hump.

As I posted before, if there was a storm bump, it should be very troubling, not 'good politics' at all.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-then-now.html
I posted that earlier in some thread around here.

Imagine for a moment, if you will, how the left would have screeched if Rush or Hannity or O'Reilly had said that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

If anyone voted for 0bama because of a single photo op before the dust settled, they truly do deserve to be left hanging from the trees.

Now, people are screeching in the streets, "Where's 0bama? We're dying here."

Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 PM

26,494 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

Chris Matthews grew up in Philadelphia and spent his childhood playing on the beaches by the Jersey Shore. He is probably more torn up about the devastation than most political pundits. He goofed. Period. We all say stupid things when we're overtired. So let's give the man a break and accept his apology, although I agree it was a stupid, thoughtless thing to say.
His idol is Obama.

His brain analyzed the Hurricane as a positive and he was "glad" it happened, because it helped his idol.

For a guy who finds the slightest word in someone criticizing Obama's policies and twists it around to scream racism so he can shut down serious adult dialogue.....he deserves everything he gets coming to him for what he in fact did say.

I am not saying he should be fired, but his constant half-truths and distortions to praise/defend Obama always makes a mockery of the media as a whole, himself, and MSNBC.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I posted that earlier in some thread around here.

Imagine for a moment, if you will, how the left would have screeched if Rush or Hannity or O'Reilly had said that.

If anyone voted for 0bama because of a single photo op before the dust settled, they truly do deserve to be left hanging from the trees.

Now, people are screeching in the streets, "Where's 0bama? We're dying here."
Can you read? I also discount the photo op, but the Katrina memories no doubt may have hurt MR somewhat. Guilt by association. IMO, when asked the difference b/w himself and MR, MR should have indicated he'd not ever allow FEMA to be as mismanaged as W did.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:52 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
It's almost 3 in the morning. At 2AM I turned on the TV and heard Chris Matthews talk about what he said last night. I don't think I ever heard a more sincere apology in my life. He had been on air for 10 hours straight, but said he wasn't going to use that as an excuse. He has friends and relatives who were affected by Sandy. He said "I said something not just stupid but wrong."

Old 11-08-2012, 04:28 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I think his statement was an example of how wacko people get during these elections. On both sides, people get nuts. And say nutty things. I don't think he meant it, just a voice for how bizarre and polarizing both parties have become.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
First of all Bloomberg is not a "prominent Republican." He's not even a Republican. As far as Christie, you've got me there.
He's been both ... Democratic, Republican and, now ... Independent.

Quote:
The whole idea that the President is supposed to be in charge of hurricane response is just a massive charade anyway, IMO. According to what I heard, Bloomberg actually asked Pres Obama to stay out of NYC, because it would have required massive diversion of resources to ensure the president's security.
If the President can be attacked by the right-wingnuts for every thing every federal employee does which they disagree with, they should also then give him credit for all of the good things which come from the federal government. Regarding NYC: Yes, Bloomberg thanked the President for his wanting to visit the hard-hit areas of NYC but asked him not to do that because of the diversion of resources that typically take place when a President makes such a visit. Bloomberg said he appreciated the federal support from FEMA and wanted to focus his time on the challenges. Not a slap at the President, but a good response from Bloomberg.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:55 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
He's been both ... Democratic, Republican and, now ... Independent.

If the President can be attacked by the right-wingnuts for every thing every federal employee does which they disagree with, they should also then give him credit for all of the good things which come from the federal government. Regarding NYC: Yes, Bloomberg thanked the President for his wanting to visit the hard-hit areas of NYC but asked him not to do that because of the diversion of resources that typically take place when a President makes such a visit. Bloomberg said he appreciated the federal support from FEMA and wanted to focus his time on the challenges. Not a slap at the President, but a good response from Bloomberg.

This is why I was disgusted when Piers Morgan had Rudy Giuliani as a guest the night before the election and let him rant on and on about Obama not visiting New York. Piers Morgan must have known that Mayor Bloomberg asked Pres Obama not to visit New York, but said nothing. When Giuliani criticized him for campaigning during the last 2 days, Morgan did point out that Romney was campaigning as well. However. Giuliani kept saying Obama was ignoring his duties which is false. How would he even know how Obama was spending his time? Does he report to Rudy Giuliani? It was killing the Republicans that Obama was getting so much praise from those who saw him in action like Governor Christie, Governor Cuomo and Mayor Bloomberg.

The WTC attacks were 11 years ago and Giuliani never misses an opportunity to talk about them. The man is a thug. I had to check the channel to make sure I was still watching CNN and not Fox. I mean, I'm watching the former Mayor of New York at a rally in Ohio complaining about President Obama and nobody is asking "So why aren't you back in New York helping people?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections