Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 AM

753 posts, read 727,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yeah, I don't see either one being nominated, even if they run. In 2004, everyone was predicting a 2008 race of Guiliani vs Hillary, and you see how that turned out. Too early to say who will be there in four years.
No one who was really thinking about things every seriously considered Giuliani as a likely GOP nominee. The very notion that the GOP would nominate a pro-choice, pro-gay, pro-gun control Presidential candidate is simply not a serious notion.

Neither Hillary Clinton nor Jeb Bush would surprise me as nominees. Nor would it surprise me if neither are the nominees. But each is a logical guess for their respective party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamaniac View Post
Andrew Cuomo would wipe the floor with Jeb "my family's name is mud now" Bush.

I don't agree at all. Northeasterners born with silver spoons don't do well..even though that's basically what the Bush's are but they speak with a drawl, so.....

Old 11-08-2012, 10:34 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,277 times
If you think America would elect a President with the last name Bush ever again you've lost your mind.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:35 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,876 times
Purity tests are passe for young women and they should be passe for presidential candidates. I'm truly sorry that Jon Huntsman's campaign went nowhere, because of all the candidates, he was the most qualified to be president in my opinion-- undisputed family values credentials, executive experience as governor of Utah, foreign policy experience as the ambassador to China (and eminently qualified to do that with his Chinese experience and fluency in Mandarin). Sadly, he also exhibited a pragmatism and a willingness to place his country over party ideology that doomed him.

I'm also sorry to see Jim Webb leave the public stage, although I don't know what he'll do next. His full-throated support of the rank-and-file military and veterans and his pragmatic approach in general will be missed. It would please me greatly if he would run for president.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I just threw up in my mouth a little......
You aren't the only one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
If you think America would elect a President with the last name Bush ever again you've lost your mind.
I concur. The GOP should just dismantle if they are dumb enough to push another Bush on the people.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:43 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Purity tests are passe for young women and they should be passe for presidential candidates. I'm truly sorry that Jon Huntsman's campaign went nowhere, because of all the candidates, he was the most qualified to be president in my opinion-- undisputed family values credentials, executive experience as governor of Utah, foreign policy experience as the ambassador to China (and eminently qualified to do that with his Chinese experience and fluency in Mandarin). Sadly, he also exhibited a pragmatism and a willingness to place his country over party ideology that doomed him.

I'm also sorry to see Jim Webb leave the public stage, although I don't know what he'll do next. His full-throated support of the rank-and-file military and veterans and his pragmatic approach in general will be missed. It would please me greatly if he would run for president.
I saw an interview with Huntsman during the campaign and I thought he was a very realistic and sensible national candidate. At first I thought he was just Romney light but he came off as much more engaging and less fake.

Oh, and his daughter is gorgeous.

Sorry, had to say it.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:51 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,692 times
People do realize that Hillary said that she is going to retire, right?

What is her resume going to look like if she doesn't do anything for four years?

Old 11-08-2012, 10:55 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
People do realize that Hillary said that she is going to retire, right?

What is her resume going to look like if she doesn't do anything for four years?
Yeah I thought about that as well. But as long as she stays in the political spotlight (Like Mitt after he lost the 2008 primary) she would be all set up. It's hard to say how it will unfold but personally I would like to see Jon Huntsman(R) VS a Julian Castro type candidate. It would make for a good race with a hopefully moderate outcome regardless of winner.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:03 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Yeah I thought about that as well. But as long as she stays in the political spotlight (Like Mitt after he lost the 2008 primary) she would be all set up. It's hard to say how it will unfold but personally I would like to see Jon Huntsman(R) VS a Julian Castro type candidate. It would make for a good race with a hopefully moderate outcome regardless of winner.
That is a good point in terms of Mitt. Hillary could be a talking head on MSNBC and do work with Bill's global initiative. I would also like to see a competitive race rather than have the GOP run someone like Santorum and lose in spectacular fashion.

It just seems like the Democrats are more willing to compromise within their ranks than Republicans are. Someone like Dennis Kucinich never had a chance at the nomination, but with the GOP, candidates like Santorum actually have a shot.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:06 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I saw an interview with Huntsman during the campaign and I thought he was a very realistic and sensible national candidate. At first I thought he was just Romney light but he came off as much more engaging and less fake.

Oh, and his daughter is gorgeous.

Sorry, had to say it.
Yeah, Huntsman would be good. It would give the GOP another shot, and it would not scare the hell out of everyone else. Also, he speak Chinese, and by then THEY will be the biggest economy in the world, so showing interest and respect in their culture will be a big plus.

I also like the idea of a Mormon or hispanic or woman president. Better yet, all three! It would show we have left one more prejudice behind.

As a center-left guy, I think I would vote nonetheless Huntsman over Clinton. The devil would be in the details though, as always.

I think Huntman and Warren would be a good race. Is there any center-left Rhodes Scholar southerners that would want to run? Bill Clinton has a pretty unstoppable combination of brains, political savvy, and southern charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections