Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 04:57 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ Superstar View Post
Here is another report just sent to me.

Around 90 employees are being laid off from the Teco Coal Corporation. Matney said that the layoffs are at several locations and are the result of the economic conditions of the coal market. He says more information will be released Friday.
Teco Coal officials announce layoffs

I think I will say a prayer for all these tragic layoffs and closings:

Dear Lord,

I ask You to bless those corporations that hire employees that place You first, God, and that You inspire their work to be the best possible for the organization and that the corporation does very well in its markets. I ask all this in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and thank You, O Loving God, in advance for Your help. Amen
This type of hate mongering in the name of God is repulsive. You don't think these layoffs are tragic....you are gleeful that it somehow proves that Obama's victory is at fault. Take your phony Christianity elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 05:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Half of these(maybe even more) have little correlation with Obama's re-election. I'm sure you can find job layoffs prior to November 6th, 2012. Correlation does not imply causation.

You simple just looked around scavenging hard for food like the vulture you are.
I don't believe the job lay offs are being blamed on the re-election, the point is, they are just now being announced. There seems to be a few things that are coming out in the open, now that 11/6 is behind us...

Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
I just really wish that you would stop taking the Lord's name in vain.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:32 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,623 times
Elections have consequences, and sadly we were warned of this from many business owners. Some of these businesses were actually bribed by the Obama administration to delay the lay offs until after the election.

Not only are businesses letting employees go, they are also reducing hours of those they keep in order to avoid the heavy cost of obamacare.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:51 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
as long as the checks keep coming, the dems dont care

Obama won...America lost
This pathetic election, one of the saddest choices in our history, was a loss for Americans regardless of the victor. Our choice was only which flavor of continued decline we prefer.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,080 times
Since it is early and I do not yet have to go in to work, let us see who is hiring:

Seasonal hiring looks great: Amazon announced plans to hire 50,000 seasonal workers.

Holiday hiring: Amazon announces plan to hire 50,000 seasonal workers - Minneapolis workplace | Examiner.com

That site also lists the plans by other retailers to hire, totaling thus far 463,000 (yes, all seasonal, but if the economy were that much in the pits, then the number would probably be far less).

What is this? Ford announced yesterday that they have hired 5,200 new workers this year, with 1,200 for a new shift planned for next year.

Ford Hires 5,200 in Plants, Pushes Utilitization to 114% - Bloomberg

This company is hiring 130 full time workers by the end of the year:

TIMCO adding workers at PTI - Greensboro - The Business Journal

Chrysler just hired 1,100 new workers:

Chrysler to add 1,100 workers at Detroit plant to make SUVs | Auto news | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Let us not forget GM: 3,000 workers:

GM Adding Another 3,000 Workers | TheDetroitBureau.com

This internet marketer just announced that they are going to hire 400 new workers:

INDIAN LAND: Red Ventures is ready to hire 400 workers in Indian Land | Business | Rock Hill Herald Online

American Airlines is hiring 1,500 new flight attendants:

American Airlines says it plans to hire more than 1,500 new flight attendants (Updated with American’s Virasb Vahidi comments) | Airline Biz Blog

As well as 2,500 brand new pilots:

Want to Be a Pilot? American Airlines is Hiring a Whole Bunch of Them || Jaunted

U.S. Bank surpassed its goal of the number of military vets it planned to hire:

U.S. Bank Surpasses Veteran Hiring Goal in 2012 - DailyFinance

I would add more as my 'sources' provide, but I think said sources are out having breakfast.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:11 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
OK, here is another one that you cannot blame on Obama but squarely on the Republican-dominated Congress. The wind energy companies are laying off workers because of the looming December 31st deadline of a tax credit for their industry. Right now wind producers receive a tax 2.2 cent credit for each kilowatt-hour of electricity they create. Guess who is fighting them and lobbying that wind energy does not get this "unfair subsidy"----the oil industry.

No Wind Tax Credit Could Mean Fewer PNW Jobs · Oregon Public Broadcasting · EarthFix

Many of the others you posted have legitimate reasons for eliminating employees, like declining enrollments at some of the for-profit educational organizations, and changes in technology for the hi-tech companies. The coal mining company you mentioned is owned by some crazy guy who regularly fires and then re-hires hundreds of employees---to make some kind of insane political point I guess.

Why don't you actually read the articles you are posting?
Fact of the matter is that there has never been enough demand for wind energy to actually develop the industry, those jobs were all developed with stimulus money, paid for by tax credits, and now that these companies like Vestas are being asked to actually pay for their own production they are cutting staff.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,182 times
Now they will come in here screaming about that isn't enough to make a dent in the unemployment numbers. Same thing as the Dow was over 13,000 prior to the election but the right said that had nothing to do with Obama. Now that it took a dip into the 12,000s it's all Obama's fault.

You can't win when you are dealing with the insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Since it is early and I do not yet have to go in to work, let us see who is hiring:

Seasonal hiring looks great: Amazon announced plans to hire 50,000 seasonal workers.

Holiday hiring: Amazon announces plan to hire 50,000 seasonal workers - Minneapolis workplace | Examiner.com

That site also lists the plans by other retailers to hire, totaling thus far 463,000 (yes, all seasonal, but if the economy were that much in the pits, then the number would probably be far less).

What is this? Ford announced yesterday that they have hired 5,200 new workers this year, with 1,200 for a new shift planned for next year.

Ford Hires 5,200 in Plants, Pushes Utilitization to 114% - Bloomberg

This company is hiring 130 full time workers by the end of the year:

TIMCO adding workers at PTI - Greensboro - The Business Journal

Chrysler just hired 1,100 new workers:

Chrysler to add 1,100 workers at Detroit plant to make SUVs | Auto news | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Let us not forget GM: 3,000 workers:

GM Adding Another 3,000 Workers | TheDetroitBureau.com

This internet marketer just announced that they are going to hire 400 new workers:

INDIAN LAND: Red Ventures is ready to hire 400 workers in Indian Land | Business | Rock Hill Herald Online

American Airlines is hiring 1,500 new flight attendants:

American Airlines says it plans to hire more than 1,500 new flight attendants (Updated with American’s Virasb Vahidi comments) | Airline Biz Blog

As well as 2,500 brand new pilots:

Want to Be a Pilot? American Airlines is Hiring a Whole Bunch of Them || Jaunted

U.S. Bank surpassed its goal of the number of military vets it planned to hire:

U.S. Bank Surpasses Veteran Hiring Goal in 2012 - DailyFinance

I would add more as my 'sources' provide, but I think said sources are out having breakfast.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ Superstar View Post
This is insane. Just for starters I have just come across these layoffs by these companies that are being reported right now. Here we go:

1. Advanced Micro Devices Inc. ( AMD ) has eliminated approximately 400 jobs from its Austin workforce
AMD Trims Austin Workforce - Analyst Blog - NASDAQ.com

2. American Coal in Galatia laid off 54 miners on Wednesday, saying President Barack Obama's re-election is bad news for the coal industry.
Mine Owner Blames Obama Administration for Layoffs | WSILTV | Local News

3. An announcement by Caterpillar Inc. on Thursday will cost 100 employees their jobs.
KAALtv.com - 100 Workers Lose Jobs As Caterpillar Closes Plant In Owatonna

4. Exide Technologies announced Thursday that it will be idling its lead-recycling operations in Laureldale and laying off 150 workers, effective no later than March 31. . The plant has been operating since the 1930s, Exide said. The company will continue to operate its plastics-recycling business with about 25 employees.
Exide to lay off 150 workers

5. TE Connectivity, which makes electrical connectors for appliances and other devices, will close its factory in north High Point and eliminate 620 jobs, according to a company official.
TE Connectivity to close Guilford plant, lay off 620 - Greensboro - The Business Journal

6. A global wind company with offices in the Pacific Northwest. Vestas says it will cut an additional 3,000 jobs by the end of 2013. The American Wind Energy Association, an industry trade group, predicts 37,000 jobs will be lost.
More Layoffs for Major Wind Company · Oregon Public Broadcasting · EarthFix

7. Westboro-based Ameridose LLC notified workers in a letter that it would begin a “mass layoff” starting tomorrow, a process that will affect roughly 650 workers at the company and another 140 at the marketing company, Medical Sales Management, with which it works directly.
Ameridose to lay off hundreds of workers - BostonHerald.com

8. U.S. Cellular drops Chicago, cuts 640 local jobs
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...#ixzz2BhzFyAUm

9. FirstEnergy expects to cut up to 400 jobs by 2016 as it struggles to stay profitable in a lackluster economy
FirstEnergy to cut 400 jobs by 2016, cites lower prices, competition | cleveland.com

10. Career Education announced Thursday that it is cutting 900 jobs and closing 23 campuses. The job cuts are expected to take place by January 2013.
Career Education to cut 900 jobs, close 23 campuses - DailyHerald.com

Those are just a few but this is a sign that there will be hundreds upon hundreds of businesses like these that will be laying off or shutting down due to Obama being reelected or not being able to compete in his economy. This is not a inspirational sign that signals confidence in a reelected president in the land of American prosperity and exceptionalism.
Its bushes fault. Obama has no responsibility for anything bad

Old 11-09-2012, 07:41 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Half of these(maybe even more) have little correlation with Obama's re-election. I'm sure you can find job layoffs prior to November 6th, 2012. Correlation does not imply causation.

You simple just looked around scavenging hard for food like the vulture you are.
Wow! That excuse only took 3 posts.

Yes, libs. Suck it up. You were warned. You didn't listen.

Have fun in the unemployment lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections