Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The numbers don't lie. If Ron Paul supporters had pulled for Romney, he would have won FL, OH, NH, VI and CT, and he would have won the presidency.

But the Paul supporterd were disrespected and shut out by the RNC/GOP, and they did not support Romnney, and it gave Obama the victory.
Ron Paul had delegate votes counted at the RNC. He should have manned-up and endorsed Romney after his loss OR he never should have run on the Republican ticket in the first place.

Yes I blame the Gary Johnson/Ron Paul write-in voters for 4 more years of Obama. And for the record, I voted for Dr. Paul in the primary.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:38 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I agree. But remember what they told us: "Only Romney can beat Obama." LOL

I have friends who are Democrats, hardcore liberals, ones who all said they would have voted for Ron Paul but ended up voting for Obama because they didn't care for Romney

Keep in mind Ron Paul placed SECOND in the Democrat primary in New Hampshire...!

Michael P. McDonald: Second Place in NH Democratic Primary Goes to...Ron Paul?!

Romney never had my vote to begin with and I am sick of people blaming those who voted 3rd party for the Romney loss... We weren't voting for him anyway.
Sorry, no liberal was going to vote for Paul over Obama. That's delusional.

Read your own link, Obama got 79% of the NH voters. Paul got 3.7%.
Quote:
New Hampshire allows registered independents to choose which party's primary they want to vote in.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
According to the hard numbers of actual returns, Romney needed 53 percent of the popular vote to win the Electoral Collage. Most libertarians probably held their nose and voted for Romney. The ones who stayed away couldn't have made up the difference.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
According to the hard numbers of actual returns, Romney needed 53 percent of the popular vote to win the Electoral Collage. Most libertarians probably held their nose and voted for Romney. The ones who stayed away couldn't have made up the difference.

Not the libertarians that I know.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Ron Paul had delegate votes counted at the RNC. He should have manned-up and endorsed Romney after his loss OR he never should have run on the Republican ticket in the first place.

Yes I blame the Gary Johnson/Ron Paul write-in voters for 4 more years of Obama. And for the record, I voted for Dr. Paul in the primary.
I agree with you about Paul - not whether he should have endorsed Romney, but
that Ron should have never run on the Republican ticket in the first place.

You can't blame Gary Johnson. Gary dropped out of the
Republican Primary. He was nominated by our party, The Libertarian Party.
We don't vote DEM or REPUB and we NEVER have.

If you want to blame anyone for 4 more years of Bush, (I mean Obama) blame the Republicans.
Don't go using Johnson and the Libertarian Party as your kicking post.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
I am wondering if the GOP should consider staying true to their conservative views on law, fiscal policy, individual liberty, adherence to the US Constitution ... but take more of a libertarian view as well. I guess what I am trying to say is if they drop the "neo-conservative dogma" of legislating morality and religion such as trying to outlaw abortion, restrict reproductive freedom, hostility to the LGBT community, etc. maybe more voters will be attracted to the Republican Party.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
It's the opposite - the GOP lost because they didn't nominate a Libertarian candidate.

If Ron Paul was their candidate, you not only get ALL THE VOTES ROMNEY GOT (which were basically ONLY people who were going to vote ANYONE with an R on their name) plus you are going to get 90% of the votes Gary Johnson got + you are going to get a good number of votes Obama got.

Basically, if you put Ron Paul out there vs Obama, the election is an even bigger landslide - IN FAVOR OF RON PAUL.

Ron Paul would have won literally every swing state + all the red states + maybe even a couple blue states.

So really, the GOP caused Romney's defeat by nominating him instead of Ron Paul...
I agree, especially with Ron Paul getting a good number of Obama's votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is misleading to say libertarians are for things like gay marriage, they simply support the idea of letting states decide issues which are not mentioned in the Constitution.
I meant that there are different types of Libertarians. Some are extremely right-wing, some are fiscally conservative/socially liberal, and some can be considered anarchists (in the political sense of personal politics and liberties, not "hey, let's bomb something"). All young (under 40) Libertarians I know and have talked to all favor social responsibility, feel that if two people want to get married that is their business, and the government, State or otherwise, has no say in the matter. Things like gay marriage are not specifically mentioned in the Constitution, but if the Constitution is to be used as a guide, you can look at it like this: The Declaration of Independence basically states two things: individual rights and the right to revolution. Shortly afterwards came the Constitution, which was the base for Federal law and how the Government would work, its jurisdictions, and the basic rights of citizens. Then about ten years later came the first amendments to the Constitution, known as the Bill of Rights, which limited the power of Government and expanded the rights of citizens and visitors to the Country. There is nothing that specifically speaks for or against gay marriage in the Constitution, but by granting freedoms and rights to every American, it is assumed to be just and Constitutional by default. It is basic reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections