Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:06 AM

753 posts, read 728,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
This is why Obama supporters can't help but laugh at the other side. I don't think the "dirty" is based on reality... it's based on something else and we all know what it is...

It's no different than sports...

when your team loses the other team was dirty, cheated and the refs were paid off.

dirtiest campaign ever...lol. Yep, because it's not possible for a sitting President to win re-election fairly vs a guy who won an election in Massachusetts of all places and passed universal HC in that state.
Some people are simply incapable of honest introspection. Failures and losses are never due to any fault on the part of 'our side' but are always the result of nefarious, underhanded, unjust and disreputable actions by the 'other side'. The emotional toll of reality is too much for them.

They focus their energy on making excuses and pinning blame on anyone but those they like (regardless of where the blame is due) rather than on actually taking any substantive lessons from the failures and losses. They find solace here.

Facts are completely irrelevant to them.

The upside -- from my point of view -- is that the more people who are determined to learn absolutely nothing from the GOP failures in 2012, the less likely it is that appropriate corrections will be made for elections two and four years down the road.

Works for me!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
Some people are simply incapable of honest introspection. Failures and losses are never due to any fault on the part of 'our side' but are always the result of nefarious, underhanded, unjust and disreputable actions by the 'other side'. The emotional toll of reality is too much for them.

They focus their energy on making excuses and pinning blame on anyone but those they like (regardless of where the blame is due) rather than on actually taking any substantive lessons from the failures and losses. They find solace here.

Facts are completely irrelevant to them.

The upside -- from my point of view -- is that the more people who are determined to learn absolutely nothing from the GOP failures in 2012, the less likely it is that appropriate corrections will be made for elections two and four years down the road.

Works for me!
GOP doesn't have to change their strategy for midterms in 2014....

but they will lose the POTUS in 2016 if they don't adjust.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 PM

753 posts, read 728,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
GOP doesn't have to change their strategy for midterms in 2014....

but they will lose the POTUS in 2016 if they don't adjust.
I agree for 2014.

On the other hand, they could fare bettr than they will by adopting to new realities. The fact that they will likely gain House and Senate seats doesn't mean they couldn't gain more such seats by tacking in a new direction.

So there will be missed opportunities if they don't, even against the backdrop of gained seats.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
BIG SHOCK here to my Tea Party/GOP "Friends"!

The LGBT community made up at LEAST 5% of ALL voters this election and remember that percentage is undercounted because many gays still will not even admit their sexuality to themselves, let alone a stranger during an exit interview.

Of that 5 % of the Total Vote.......... 77% to 78% voted for President Obama.

Essentially giving him a 4% BOOST in votes.

Obviously some peopole are double counted because of gender, race and other parameters.

So lets make it 2.5% to be on the safe side....Voting for Obama.

Guess what that was Obama's margin of victory in the Popular Vote!

SO NEXT TIME THINK TWICE my GOP/Tea Party "friends" BEFORE you bash/demonize and disrespect the LGBT Community AND/OR PASS LAWS that hurt our community AND/OR deny us our equal rights!

Our Votes count too and just theoretically cost YOU ALL the Presidency!

Exit poll: Gay voters made up 5 percent of 2012 electorate | Washington Blade - America's Leading Gay News Source

The Single Biggest Night For Gay Rights In Electoral History - The Dish | By Andrew Sullivan - The Daily Beast

The presidency: The remaking of the president | The Economist

From THE ECONOMIST MAGAZINE>>>>>>>

"The 5% of voters who identified themselves as gay in exit polls opted for Mr Obama by 76% to 22%—enough to account for his entire margin of victory."

Pretty sure paulbots, kept Mitt at bay, for paybacks.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
The bottom line:

All political parties - not just the Democrats and Republicans but the smaller ones as well - cannot ignore the presence of the LGBT community in America.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,502,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Your right. America's defining ideals were once life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Today, those ideals have degraded to having all the sodomy you can fancy and killing every unborn baby you can get your hands on.
LOL, but you said you were gay.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
LOL, but you said you were gay.
I'm not going to go into details on the Internet but I was confused back in '09 and now I am not. A lot of people experiment with their sexuality and end up heterosexual. There are a lot of things in play which is why I believe sexuality is far more complex than simply gay, straight, or bisexual and I strongly disagree with the LGBT community when they try to box it into that. It is necessary however for it to be that black and white for gay to be considered a protected class.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:11 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I'm not going to go into details on the Internet but I was confused back in '09 and now I am not. A lot of people experiment with their sexuality and end up heterosexual. There are a lot of things in play which is why I believe sexuality is far more complex than simply gay, straight, or bisexual and I strongly disagree with the LGBT community when they try to box it into that. It is necessary however for it to be that black and white for gay to be considered a protected class.
I don't know anyone who considers it black and white, however, your struggles with it certainly explain a lot regarding your militant opposition to all things gay. You have internalized homophobia. I seriously doubt you were in a "phase", you just aren't willing to accept your orientation, and you think by attacking other gays, it will suppress your feelings.

You of course will reject such an absurd notion, but it's pretty obvious. Maybe if you were more open-minded and actually listened to other people, you might be able to deal with those issues. By you'd rather fight and argue, and blame everything on the evil gays and their supporters.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Minn. gay couple in '71 marriage case still united | General Headlines | Comcast

Old 12-10-2012, 05:04 AM

335 posts, read 334,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As for Obama's dirty campaigning, I have been voting for over 50 years: he did run the worst I have seen.
The dirt was largely limited to a few "swing states," so much of the public is unaware of how bad it was. The fact is that mud slinging works. It doesn't work with the informed, but there are ten percent or so of the population who are poorly informed and basically apathetic who can be made nervous by such mud slinging, and this can make the difference in a swing state.

My suspicion is that Obama would have won anyway, although probably without Virginia and Florida. There is little point in arguing about whether or not it made a difference in the election, but there is considerable point in noting the kind of man and political party who now run the Presidency. A lot of what else happens now can be more readily understood when one understands the mud the present President was willing to throw in order to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections