Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I think we all agree the GOP needs to revamp its relationship with Latino voters, or it's going the way of the brontosaurus.

Here is an interesting development- George Prescott Bush, Jeb's son, W's nephew, just filed the preliminary papers to pave the way for a candidacy in Texas (no idea what office yet):

George P. Bush files to run for office in Texas - CSMonitor.com

GPB is half-Mexican (mother is naturalized), bilingual, Hispanic-looking, an attorney, US Navy officer, very attractive Republican candidate.

Of course, the GOP's problems with Latinos involves policies, not just personalities. Florida is blue. Texas and Arizona are next, unless Republicans act.

But if GPB's politics are as moderate as his dad's, I see this as a positive sign that the GOP has a chance to pull its head out of its ass yet
Fl went blue by the skin of their teeth and how Red did Texas and AZ stay for starters? I have no idea what he is running for, this is new to most of us, but whatever, time will soon tell if he can continue the Bush name in politics...?? And BTW, no, the Latino vote does have a lot to do with personalities. The overall family values the Republicans believe in are very deeply routed in the Hispanic culture..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 08:55 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
How about Bush (Jeb)/Bush (Prescott).

Wouldn't that be too good to be true!

I know, I know...Prescott has no political experience (other than genetic).

Oh, wait! Neither did 0bama!

Prescott it is!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:59 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yeah, dam it they need to just stop trying to create jobs and give in, giving everyone in the nation welfare.. Then latinos and blacks will support the GOP..
Sigh...

It's a bit depressing to see many on the right adopting this sort of position. Essentially just doubling down on the hateful, divisive, softly racist rhetoric.

Here's a clue to you and Bill O'Reilly and everyone else who's spewing this nonsense. The GOP isn't losing the black and Latino votes because everyone who isn't pasty white is a welfare queen looking for a handout. The GOP is losing because of things like labeling non-whites as a bunch of welfare queens looking for a handout.

Trying to pin all the country's problems on minorities and being openly hostile towards them isn't going to win you the minority vote.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:02 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Call me nuts but in retrospect I like George W. Bush, George HW Bush, and Jeb Bush. The recent tea party candidates make them look sane. GW is a good but simple man used as a puppet by Cheney. George P could be the guy to save the GOP.
I liked GHWB and GWB when they were president, not just in retrospect. I like both of them a lot.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:05 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,866,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Sigh...

It's a bit depressing to see many on the right adopting this sort of position. Essentially just doubling down on the hateful, divisive, softly racist rhetoric.

Here's a clue to you and Bill O'Reilly and everyone else who's spewing this nonsense. The GOP isn't losing the black and Latino votes because everyone who isn't pasty white is a welfare queen looking for a handout. The GOP is losing because of things like labeling non-whites as a bunch of welfare queens looking for a handout.

Trying to pin all the country's problems on minorities and being openly hostile towards them isn't going to win you the minority vote.
This. ^^ It seems the message of this election has gone right over the heads of many posters here on the right.

George Prescott Bush can probably get elected in Texas if he hurries--I don't anticipate Texas staying a solid red for much longer--but he has a real problem as far as national politics goes, and that is his last name. Talk about starting with high negatives.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
This. ^^ It seems the message of this election has gone right over the heads of many posters here on the right.

George Prescott Bush can probably get elected in Texas if he hurries--I don't anticipate Texas staying a solid red for much longer--but he has a real problem as far as national politics goes, and that is his last name. Talk about starting with high negatives.
Have you checked out the results of Tues election? If you have, how can you even think that? Will they someday go blue? Maybe, the same as someday Ca will go back Red, but neither is likely to happen in the next couple of decades. You are aware of the one senator who won Texas aren't you? Does this sound like a state that is about to go blue? Not to me it doesn't....

Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,457,152 times
Quote:
I'm surprised at the number of left leaning college kids I've met who don't hate Bush - just think he was wrong on Iraq. The Bush name isn't as toxic as you'd think. A GOP moderate in the Reagan/Bush mold could do well in an election.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:14 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,385,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Fl went blue by the skin of their teeth and how Red did Texas and AZ stay for starters? I have no idea what he is running for, this is new to most of us, but whatever, time will soon tell if he can continue the Bush name in politics...?? And BTW, no, the Latino vote does have a lot to do with personalities. The overall family values the Republicans believe in are very deeply routed in the Hispanic culture..
I agree, and have stated many times, that many Latinos COULD be a natural constituency for the GOP. There is a no more devout, hard-working, family-oriented cohort in the US electorate.

But as long as the party PLATFORM alienates Latinos, it won't matter how many brown faces the party runs (that goes for WOMEN,too, btw).

The moderates in the GOP have to have the courage to face down the radicals running the party, and change its policies. Republicans have LOST the popular vote in 5 out of the last 6 elections. How many times do they need that 2x4 kabonging their noggin, before they wise up?

They can start by working with Obama and the Dems on a national Dream Act, and comprehensive Immigration reform- yes, that includes AMNESTY.

Once Latinos are made to feel welcome, the GOP can go to work on recruiting them to the pro-family, pro-business traditions of the party.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:21 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,385,969 times
Quote:

The Bush name is not a high negative in Texas, though. I'm assuming Prescott plans to run for state office, or maybe the US House.

The Bush name nationally is ripe for rehabilitation. GPW may be the one to try.

I just hope he's a Republican in the mold of his father and GF- a moderate.

It's going to take moderate Republicans to find the courage to FACE DOWN the crazies In their party, or the GOP is cooked.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I'm surprised at the number of left leaning college kids I've met who don't hate Bush - just think he was wrong on Iraq. The Bush name isn't as toxic as you'd think. A GOP moderate in the Reagan/Bush mold could do well in an election.
I agree.

I don't believe it is as big a negative as even the RNC seemed to believe.

While I am still not crazy about the idea of politics as a family business, I see this as a very encouraging sign for the republican party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections