Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:43 AM

121 posts, read 152,575 times

Advertisements

Leaving is quite a different beast than threatening violent revolution or assassination like i've seen some Republicans post on here about. Thankfully the former have been rare because the mods have been vigilant but i've seen more than a few before they were deleted.

To Republicans reading this: You realize that threatening violence against citizens over voting is the exact sort of activities that happen in the third world which are considered anti-democratic right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 11:48 AM

11,120 posts, read 10,672,022 times
Extremists on either side are unpatriotic in my opinion. The true patriots are the ones that are willing to work toward a better future for our country, not the ones that refuse to see validity on both sides of the argument.

For those that are claiming Republicans are unpatriotic, get the foxes out of your own hen house before you worry about the neighbor's. Plenty of Obama supporters were threatening to riot if Romney won, so the extremists on the right don't have a monopoly on unpatriotic statements or actions.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:54 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,106,561 times
This is a unique mainly because *drumrolls* the color of his skin. Remember, many republicans are southern evangelical Christians who are prejudice and racist on the inside and it hurts them to see a black man being their commander in chief. Many of them think blacks are inferior so when a black man is superior to them, it hurts them inside so they try to make it out that he isn't up for the job. Obviously, not all of them are this way, but a good portion of them are. This is why there is so much more backlash then normal.

Proof is some of the things a few republican politicians have been saying about Obama...a lot of it racist remarks.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Extremists on either side are unpatriotic in my opinion. The true patriots are the ones that are willing to work toward a better future for our country, not the ones that refuse to see validity on both sides of the argument.

For those that are claiming Republicans are unpatriotic, get the foxes out of your own hen house before you worry about the neighbor's. Plenty of Obama supporters were threatening to riot if Romney won, so the extremists on the right don't have a monopoly on unpatriotic statements or actions.

Thank you. You are certainly right. I was getting ready to post a few sites where the extreme left were threatening violence if Obama was not reelected, but I figure it would be a waist of time.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,430,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
This is a unique mainly because *drumrolls* the color of his skin. Remember, many republicans are southern evangelical Christians who are prejudice and racist on the inside and it hurts them to see a black man being their commander in chief. Many of them think blacks are inferior so when a black man is superior to them, it hurts them inside so they try to make it out that he isn't up for the job. Obviously, not all of them are this way, but a good portion of them are. This is why there is so much more backlash then normal.

Proof is some of the things a few republican politicians have been saying about Obama...a lot of it racist remarks.
What are you, a psychiatrist? Do you have a link to this study or are you just making **** up?

Old 11-09-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Thank you. You are certainly right. I was getting ready to post a few sites where the extreme left were threatening violence if Obama was not reelected, but I figure it would be a waist of time.
It's interesting that I see this claimed by Republicans a lot but it's never true. I have NEVER seen anyone threaten violence if obama is not re-elected. Maybe it's because it doesn't exist ? Or it's such a small extremist position in the left that it's immediately criticized harshly and widely condemned by the left.

The right wing tend to let violence and racism fester in the ranks because it helps the party keep control. There's a major difference there.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:08 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,136,821 times
The issue is not whether or not there are extremist on both sides. You want a far left leaning one, write it. The question posed has been the far right and what has transpired now dealing with the loss of the highest office in the nation. For those who are more traditionally conservative, none of you has broached that. I didn't ask if the left did it, I didn't ask if the left was patriotic, I asked about the far right. Didn't even ask about those in the middle. Like I said, if you want to know about the far left, write your opinion asking it. Until then, can you broach the question I ASKED.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:19 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamaniac View Post
It's interesting that I see this claimed by Republicans a lot but it's never true. I have NEVER seen anyone threaten violence if obama is not re-elected. Maybe it's because it doesn't exist ? Or it's such a small extremist position in the left that it's immediately criticized harshly and widely condemned by the left.

The right wing tend to let violence and racism fester in the ranks because it helps the party keep control. There's a major difference there.

I suggest that you do a search. May suprise you.
[LEFT]As we reported last week, Twitter has been flooded recently with violent comments from Obama supporters. The increase in volume of the comments seemed to coincide with Romney’s poll numbers edging higher against Obama.
Not only have Obama voters been making open threats that they will riot and cause mayhem, they have also been caught making direct threats to assassinate Mitt Romney, prompting the Secret Service to announce that it was “aware” of the threats and would “conduct appropriate follow up if necessary.”
Despite the fact that the media reported extensively on threats made against Obama prior to the 2008 election, their silence on the threats made against Romney has been deafening. Indeed, the act of a few old guys hanging up empty chairs in reference to Clint Eastwood’s RNC speech garnered substantially more coverage and concern from the press compared to hundreds if not thousands of tweets threatening violence against Mitt Romney.[/LEFT]

As we reported last week, Twitter has been flooded recently with violent comments from Obama supporters. The increase in volume of the comments seemed to coincide with Romney’s poll numbers edging higher against Obama.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I suggest that you do a search. May suprise you.
That's such a cop out. If you're going to come in here and point fingers at least link it.

Your link comes up with a big page not found.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 PM

127 posts, read 142,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
I'm surprised someone hasn't just flat out asked this question and I think it bears some discussion. Throughout American history when one party loses the election, all people involved from government to the populace hopes and wants whomever is in charge a successful administration that will keep American strong. Yes, there will always be political bickering, but the two sides would eventually come together for the greater good.
What country have you been living in? The Democrats certainly didn't "hope for a successful administration that will keep American strong" when Bush was elected. Yes, there has always been political bickering, but the eight years when Bush was in office was the beginning of the end of civility. That's the rudest and nastiest I've ever seen people behave — before or since. Why didn't the liberals come together for the greater good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections