Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 12:26 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,280,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
If Rand Paul was smart, he wouldnt run until the next presidential election cycle. America hates losers and we typically dont elect candidates who've lost previous elections. The last presidential candidate to get a second chance and win was Nixon.

Assuming that Hillary runs, shes going to win. Paul needs to let Huckabee or Jeb Bush catch that L and wait for things to swing back in the GOP's favor.
and because you say she is going to win, it must be true, right?

Old 04-15-2014, 01:23 PM

110 posts, read 146,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Support appears to be gaining for Hillary Clinton to succeed the great President Obama as President of the United States in 2016. She would be the first WOMAN to hold that position, a result of the CHANGE that President Obama represents. Should would get even more support than President Obama did in this last election, completely obliterating the GOP opposition. The GOP will again waste a FORTUNE in the losing effort. Imagine her having Colin Powell as her running mate. How about an Latino as her running mate, or an Asian? Maybe she would pick someone who is of mixed-race and GAY? Any combination dooms the hapless GOP. There isn't a GOP candidate alive who could compete.

Former top Obama aides join pro-Hillary effort - First Read
I too hope that a Democratic candidate wins the election but I have an issue with this whole, "Imagine the first gay, latino, crippled, blind, ugly, bald half-asian, jewish, candidate."

Support the best candidate, people. It's straight-forward, easy, and intellectually honest. And here's a kicker...Hillary probably isn't the BEST candidate. My vote will probably go with Brian Schweitzer or another governor if he/she decides to run.

Last edited by LNKNE-ADJ; 04-15-2014 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 01:40 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,246,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and because you say she is going to win, it must be true, right?
She is likely to win because the national demographics are against the GOP. Doesn't mean it's a certainty of course, but the odds are agaiinst whoever the GOP candidate will be. Unless the GOP can gain support among women and minorities (which they seem determined NOT to do) they will be the underdogs in any Presidential race of the forseeable future. Just ask Nate Silver (or even Rand Paul).

Ken

Old 04-15-2014, 01:57 PM

18,755 posts, read 18,009,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do agree: I do not care whether we elect a female or male, I can about their ability to lead and their overall views. Do they pretty much follow what I believe in. Not that I am right, but I would like a candidate that shares my ideas. Right now, and this is just my feeling at the moment, the only one being heard that seems to really want change is Rand Paul, like him or not. He does have some good, ideas.
Yes; he has some good ideas. But he is still a product of the current power. Many thought that our current President was different and represented change. Most have since changed their minds.

I don't know how to get politicians that represent the people? Years ago I had and English teacher that ran for state representative. Some time after he was elected he was standing at the local Post Office in front of my father. There was a large sign on the wall that stated: No Personal Checks Cashed. Our representative basically told the Post Master that he would not have a job if he did not cash his check.

Here I thought that my English teacher was one of us. I think what it boils down to is that power corrupts. The longer they stay in office; the worse they get. Most do not even get in office unless they already made deals.

My feeling is that our leaders should not be treated as gods. They should get pay similar to the average pay for somebody doing their job. The should get benefits equal to the average. Their vacation time should be progressive; depending on the years that they serve. They should also be easily replaced.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Yes; he has some good ideas. But he is still a product of the current power. Many thought that our current President was different and represented change. Most have since changed their minds.

I don't know how to get politicians that represent the people? Years ago I had and English teacher that ran for state representative. Some time after he was elected he was standing at the local Post Office in front of my father. There was a large sign on the wall that stated: No Personal Checks Cashed. Our representative basically told the Post Master that he would not have a job if he did not cash his check.

Here I thought that my English teacher was one of us. I think what it boils down to is that power corrupts. The longer they stay in office; the worse they get. Most do not even get in office unless they already made deals.

My feeling is that our leaders should not be treated as gods. They should get pay similar to the average pay for somebody doing their job. The should get benefits equal to the average. Their vacation time should be progressive; depending on the years that they serve. They should also be easily replaced.
No they should not be treated as Gods, but they always have been and will continue to be. I think candidate start out with the true idea of helping, at least most of them. Suddenly they either are forced into decisions they do not want to make because of money or they decide they are better than the average Joe. This isn't all of politicians believe me. I have known some who have not let power go to their heads. I can accept their egotism, as long as they can accomplish something that is good for our country, or what I think is good and right.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:27 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,860,929 times
Default The Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The ONLY real option that the Repubs have is Jeb Bush, who just comments that illegals cross over to this country as a sic~ "labor of love". No thanks, I'll pass on him.

Unlike the Dem, the Reb has many to pull out of the old political tool box. I have several folks in mind, but no one not even the Dems have committed to the race.

Remember John Edwards (Dem), he stared early and did not even come close winning the nomination. Edwards on the other hand had far bigger issues than running for President!

Old 04-15-2014, 04:15 PM

4,559 posts, read 3,377,701 times
The OP's thread title is correct, which is why the GOP has secretly cloned Ronal Reagan who will be doing TV spots for their nominee. Recent polls show that over 65% of Americans believe that Regan is the greatest ex-president still living. Ads by hos clone should be quite effective.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:36 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,810,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
The OP's thread title is correct, which is why the GOP has secretly cloned Ronal Reagan who will be doing TV spots for their nominee. Recent polls show that over 65% of Americans believe that Regan is the greatest ex-president still living. Ads by hos clone should be quite effective.

ROTFLMBO, you can't be serious,the dope who couldn't make a decision without consulting with his astrologist first! Actually that is just too freakin SCARY to even be funny!

Old 04-19-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
ROTFLMBO, you can't be serious,the dope who couldn't make a decision without consulting with his astrologist first! Actually that is just too freakin SCARY to even be funny!
oh how little you know about Reagan. Just making a statement like that shows you know nothing. He did not consult with astrologists!!!! You know being biased is one thing, most of us here do have strong political views, but to make a statement you want to believe that isn't true is like having your head in the sand all the time.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:42 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,860,929 times
Default Republicans are sitting good!

This time around I think the Republicans will stay on the course of resolving issues vs. the Dem popping smoke and dropping chaff.

This time the DNC has a real problem because they have a record of continual failures and let's face it this and administration and the Democrats have not been the most open. From Fast and Furious, to the bailouts t Benghazi., IRS Scandals. Abuse of power issue

Ms.. Clinton has been the center of some of these and was a failure as Sectary of state and really not significant successes while in the Senate. She has even admitted that Obama has pulled her back from doing a Job. Kerry is in the same boat and remember the " Red Line"? Lets not forget the White Water Scandal were she lost her memory and answered " I do not recall?"

Not splitting from Bill Clinton being a sexual predator? The list is long and sad!

Obama used her and has further damage her as a candidate for the DNC Choice for President. Obama tactic work to keep her out of the loop for 2 presidential cycles.

So the Dem are their own worst enemy, never mid Paul, Christy, or Cruz! It would be a great debate although!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.