Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 12:12 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Ptug, you mention that these counties are the most diverse. Especially in areas like the Denver suburbs and Northern Virginia, suburbs have been getting a lot less white over time. That piece was written by Nate Cohn, a liberal (BTW - your post is a copyright violation).

It's more important to look at who is voting for who than how an entire county or state voted. Suburbs overall did go for Romney narrowly after going for Obama in 2008. Exit polls are clear about who voted for who. Romney even won whites in the Northeast. The GOP does have a problem with the most educated voters, but problems with wealthy whites or problems with middle class whites with Bachelor's degrees are not among them. Now, the margins could be a problem and the margins I do think are a bit lower than they were in the Reagan years, but they are still winning these groups. While they would need to win them by larger margins to win some states, they are clearly winning these groups and the biggest problem for the GOP is minority voters and poor voters, despite the anti-intellectualism in the party.

Groups Obama Won, Groups Romney Won - NYTimes.com
but it's clear from the results in relatively white counties (80 percent or more) like Jefferson and Larimier, CO, or Delaware, OH, that Obama's big gains over Kerry's performance in well-educated areas aren't just a product of demographic changes

Last edited by ptug101; 11-17-2012 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 12:14 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Talking Your opinion does not affect reality one teensy little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The GOP is not in trouble. Read what I linked. Obama won by a razor thin majority, not a landslide

Romney's Austerity Dictatorship Missed Us

Obama: + 3.5 million popular (and climbing) and 126 electoral votes. It was all over before bedtime.

Add some Dem gains in congress and it was a terrible night for Obamaphobes.

Barely a contest, actually.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:16 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Ptug, those counties are still becoming more diverse....and Obama did worse in most of these counties than in 2008. Romney won Delaware County by a large margin, he won Lake County in Ohio which Obama won in 08, he cut a 9-point margin in Bucks County, PA to I think 2 or so, etc. Romney made the biggest gains compared to McCain among wealthy and better educated whites (as well as young whites, ironically). Obama did just as well as in 2008 among the poor and the less educated. Again, I'm not denying the GOP has some problems with certain white voters, but I'm also saying that they are clearly winning this group and that liberal hate doesn't change that.

Regardless I suggest you cut your previous post down and this one and post a link or I will report you for violating the TOS. You are allowed three sentences from the article.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Obama: + 3.5 million popular (and climbing) and 126 electoral votes. It was all over before bedtime.

Add some Dem gains in congress and it was a terrible night for Obamaphobes.

Barely a contest, actually.
3%. That's not exactly a resounding endorsement. And he got, what, 90% of the votes he got in 2008?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:22 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,516 times
Quote:
Ptug, those counties are still becoming more diverse....and Obama did worse in most of these counties than in 2008. Romney won Delaware County by a large margin, he won Lake County in Ohio, Bucks County in PA (both of which Obama won in 2008), etc. Romney made the biggest gains compared to McCain among the wealthy and the better educated (as well as the young, ironically). Obama did just as well as in 2008 among the poor and the less educated. Again, I'm not denying the GOP has some problems with certain white voters, but I'm also saying that they are clearly winning this group and that liberal hate doesn't change that.

Regardless I suggest you cut your previous post down and this one and post a link or I will report you for violating the TOS. You are allowed three lines from the article.
They are 80% white there is no way Obama could carry a state like Iowa or NH with Minority voters

Old 11-17-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
They are 80% white there is no way Obama could carry a state like Iowa or NH with Minority voters
Obama won the white vote in about 10 states or so.

Obama did win whites in Iowa and NH, but they are much more than 80% white or even 90% white. He actually lost whites in WI yet still won the state by ~6.5 or so I think (and, yes, Romney won voters with Bachelor's degrees in WI).

President Exit Polls - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com

Let's look at some examples of some other non-southern states:

Romney and Obama tied among whites in New York. In New York, Obama got just 58% of voters with Bachelor's degrees even though he won well over 60% overall.

Obama won whites in Connecticut narrowly, but he actually won just 49% of voters with Bachelor's degrees in the state.

Romney did consistently far better among the wealthy than among the poor, even in non-southern states that are 90%+ white where there were exit polls.

The GOP's problem is primarily minorities. It does have problems among whites with postgraduate education, but not with Bachelor's degrees. When you look into it further, the problems are actually the most among whites with postgraduate education who are middle income and not so much those who are higher income. Also, when you look into it further, the poorest whites are actually the most likely to vote Democrat (though nationally and definitely in southern states and across Appalachia low income whites do lean Republican).

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 11-17-2012 at 01:02 PM..

Old 11-17-2012, 12:38 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
3%. That's not exactly a resounding endorsement.
No doubt he's concerned about your endorsement. But you're playing hard to get, you little tease.

Quote:
And he got, what, 90% of the votes he got in 2008?
He got millions more than your boy Romney, who's been kind of a bitter fool about the whole thing after giving that excellent concession speech on election night. He's only good reading someone else's words, because his own are always condescending put-downs of all of us who weren't wise enough to be born into families of millionaires.

Lots of Americans noticed that. Refer to November 6th.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:27 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Yes, Obama was elected a 2nd term. But so was Bush. Did that mean the Democrat party was "in trouble" because a Republican was elected a 2nd term?

And I don't care that gay marriage and marijuana was passed in a few states. A few liberal states don't speak for the whole country.
I agree. The GOP should stick with the ideals that work so well.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:54 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,613 times
Generation Y contributed significantly to Obama's win. As they mature, the group as a whole will steer right. The Millennials coming behind aren't as numerous. The GOP may be in a slump, but they're far from "over."

Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Generation Y contributed significantly to Obama's win. As they mature, the group as a whole will steer right. The Millennials coming behind aren't as numerous. The GOP may be in a slump, but they're far from "over."
Actually, 18-29 year old whites went for Romney by 7. While this is a good sign in and of itself, it really makes why the Republicans lost 18-29 year olds overall by 21 a bigger problem.

The GOP's problem with young voters, more than stances on social issues which could be changed (or that young voters care less about as they get older) or more than young voters not being as wealthy as older voters, is that they are disproportionately minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections