Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 10:07 AM

99,555 posts, read 4,491,552 times

Advertisements

Another Tea Party candidate. How do they keep coming up with these guys?

OK GOP candidate: Let cities decide whether gays should be stoned to death
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 10:45 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
Another Tea Party candidate. How do they keep coming up with these guys?

OK GOP candidate: Let cities decide whether gays should be stoned to death
From the link:

"A commenter asked, “So just to be clear, you think we should execute homosexuals (presumably by stoning)?”

“I think we would be totally in the right to do it,” Esk said. “That goes against some parts of libertarianism, I realize, and I’m largely libertarian, but ignoring as a nation things that are worthy of death is very remiss.”

And the Conservative hits just keep on coming...

Old 06-22-2014, 10:56 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
From the link:

"A commenter asked, “So just to be clear, you think we should execute homosexuals (presumably by stoning)?”

“I think we would be totally in the right to do it,” Esk said. “That goes against some parts of libertarianism, I realize, and I’m largely libertarian, but ignoring as a nation things that are worthy of death is very remiss.”

And the Conservative hits just keep on coming...
And liberals continue to drink the kool-aid!

By their own admission:

Quote:
Raw Story is a progressive news site that focuses on stories often ignored in the mainstream media. While giving coverage to the big stories of the day, we also bring our readers’ attention to policy, politics, legal and human rights stories that get ignored in an infotainment culture driven solely by pageviews.

snip

It’s called a liberal mag, but likely by those who either do not know the difference between ‘liberal’ and ‘progressive’, or do not care about the difference.

Caveat Emptor: The site does have a satire/parody section.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:00 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Nicet, when I googled "Scott Esk," I found several other sources for this.

High-profile Republicans need to speak out swiftly and sternly against lunatics like this. Granted this guy is low-profile but efforts should be made to ensure he doesn't win any election and move up the ladder.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 06-22-2014 at 11:11 AM..

Old 06-22-2014, 11:13 AM

99,555 posts, read 4,491,552 times
Another link from National Review:

Not OK: Sooner State GOP Should Sink Stone-Age Scott Esk | National Review Online

Old 06-22-2014, 11:26 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
And liberals continue to drink the kool-aid!

By their own admission:
Bazaar as it may be, it seems the story is true. As others have mentioned, even the prestigious Conservative "National Review" is carrying the story. If it's joke, it seems lots of other very serious online sources are jumping on the bandwagon.

Ken

Old 06-22-2014, 12:01 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

High-profile Republicans need to speak out swiftly and sternly against lunatics like this. Granted this guy is low-profile but efforts should be made to ensure he doesn't win any election and move up the ladder.
This is exactly what the mainstream Republicans need to do whenever these nut cases from the far right utter these asinine things. Unfortunately, you rarely see that happen. They have all been effectively cowed by the Tea Party. But you will not wrest control from the crazy faction any other way.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:28 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

How can you "ensure" Scott doesn't win an election? That sounds un democratic.

I believe districts should be allowed to elect whoever they want. If this nut reflects the values of that district in OK... then, that tells the rest of us something about conservative values there, right?

Old 06-22-2014, 01:13 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
How can you "ensure" Scott doesn't win an election? That sounds un democratic.

I believe districts should be allowed to elect whoever they want. If this nut reflects the values of that district in OK... then, that tells the rest of us something about conservative values there, right?
I don't think it would tell us about conservative values, even locally. I think it would tell us that the voters in the district are either nuts or oblivious.

You "ensure" he doesn't win an election the best you can, by speaking out against him and by supporting opposing candidates.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:04 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,163 times
Liberals like to act like only conservatives say dumb things, but these quotes say differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections