Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think professed atheism should be required to run for public office?
Yes 2 6.67%
No 28 93.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 08:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
A further point...

Calgary , Alberta, in western Canada, has recently elected a Mayor, who is not only a Muslim, but who was born outside of Canada. Can you imagine that happening anywhere in the US?

here is a link to that story.

Calgarian becomes Canada's first Muslim mayor | CTV News

Or how about this... A Muslim, born in Egypt, who is the head of one of the largest Universities in Canada and has been since 2007.

Muslim president for York University - thestar.com

Or a Member of Parliament, who is a quadrapalegic.

Inclusion Daily Express -- Parliament Must Ready To Accommodate New Member

Stephen Fletcher represents a Winnipeg, Manitoba, district, in Canada's national Parliament, and was first elected in 2004. He is a C4 C3 spinal cord injury victim, and can only move his head, which he uses to control his electric wheel chair. He is a member of the Cabinet, in the Stephen Harper Government, in Ottawa.

Could such a handicapped person ever be elected to the Congress in the USA ?. I don't think so.

My point in all of this......... American has not yet evolved to the point where such things are possible.

Did I mention our past Female Prime Minister ?

Jim B

Toronto.
I think you need to study a little more and do some research. We had a handicapped Pres who was in a Wheelchair: we have Muslims in congress, we have a lot of elected officials, locally as well as nationally that were not born in the USA. WE came close to having a female Pres and she did not lose the nomination because she was a woman, she lost to a very shrude campaigner. I could go on and on.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,219,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I want to point a couple things out to you:1-we all have our reasons for believing what we do, you choose to believe in no God, becasue you say there is proof in evolution? Has it occurred to you, many of us believe in both? As for evangelicals thinking the world is coming to an end soon? Sorry, they do not, the ones who predict this are nut cases, not evangelicals. I do agree, religion or lack of same has nothing to do with running for public office. And you know very little if you honestly think the 2012 election had anything to do with anyone's crazy ideas. If this is the case, please explain how we now have 30 Republican governors, and the house still belongs to the Republicans. Almost always the party that takes the Whitehouse takes the congress and the governorships. Midterm elections usually are the opposite. Of course you wouldn't know anything about our politics, you are not even living in our cuontry. I love it, when people in other countries think they know more about us than we do....
Oh boo frigging hoo. I don't need to stay in the USA to know how batshiot crazy evangelicals are. We had them here too pre independence and they too predicted the ende ov teh wurlde. The USA is just about 17 years behind us as far as civil rights go, you know, gays can marry, abortions elective to 20 weeks gestation, no hate speech etc. Evangelicals are a scourge on society as their beliefs are not even based on anything reasonable.

Don't want criticism from the rest of the world, stop broadcasting yourselves - that is all..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections