Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 07:53 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
93%, not often, if ever. LCS dies bring up a good point. In this case I agree, most blacks voted for him beause of his skin color. And more blacks voted (especially in 2008) than normally vote. btw: 88% of the blacks voted for kerry: 90% for Gore and 82% for Clinton. That isn't 93% by any stretch of the imagination.
Lyndon B. Johnson won 94 percent of the Black vote, and Hubert H. Humphrey won 97 percent of the Black vote.Hubert Humphrey presidential campaign, 1968 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A better question to ask is this. What year did Blacks voting for Republicans drop drastically, and why hasn't that Republican Party ever won more than 10-15 of the Black vote since the 1960s?

And consider something about the elections from 1996-2004. There were more candidates running in those elections. And in 1996, Bob Dole was running as well. He was a moderate compared to many Republicans today. There is more here than meets the eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
93%, not often, if ever. LCS dies bring up a good point. In this case I agree, most blacks voted for him beause of his skin color. And more blacks voted (especially in 2008) than normally vote. btw: 88% of the blacks voted for kerry: 90% for Gore and 82% for Clinton. That isn't 93% by any stretch of the imagination.
... Look at your own facts. Of the 88% that voted for Kerry... what % of them would have voted for a Republican? Give me an estimate since you're saying that most Blacks voted for Obama b/c of his skin color.

If you can't answer that, then you need to rethink how stupid that talking point is.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Well, where does the Republican message largely come from? Rush Limbaugh and Fox News. Do either of those outlets do a good job of reaching out to black Americans? The simple answer is, no, they do a terrible job at it. With that said, why would most blacks want to vote Republican?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:14 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
... Look at your own facts. Of the 88% that voted for Kerry... what % of them would have voted for a Republican? Give me an estimate since you're saying that most Blacks voted for Obama b/c of his skin color.

If you can't answer that, then you need to rethink how stupid that talking point is.
UJh........HELLO! There weren't any blacks running for president when Kerry was on the ticket!

Talk about deflection!

Yes.......many more blacks than ever voted in 2008 just so they could vote for a black man. Thanks to ACORN, etc.

And yes, many more blacks voted in 2012 so they could vote for a black man.

I honestly can't believe someone would bring up Kerry when voters only had white people to choose from.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
The GOP needs to forget about the; who,what,where and when pertaining to minority liberal voters. They are spending ten million (a paltry sum IMO) to canvas minority neighborhoods to get their message out. I think they should be getting the message out to minority conservative voters who don't vote.

Instead they keep introducing the public to one minority mascot or figure head to woo minorities into their camp. They need to expand from within, If they bring in from the outside they will have to adapt and compromise their voice to accommodate a "once liberal voter."

Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
UJh........HELLO! There weren't any blacks running for president when Kerry was on the ticket!

Talk about deflection!

Yes.......many more blacks than ever voted in 2008 just so they could vote for a black man. Thanks to ACORN, etc.

I honestly can't believe someone would bring up Kerry when voters only had white people to choose from.
Follow along...

Kerry = [Democrat]

Black Americans vote 88% for [Democrat]

If Blacks only voted for Obama b/c he's Black, then that means if a WHITE DEMOCRAT had run in 2008 or 2012, then some sort of MAJORITY OF THAT 88% would have voted Republican.

So either put a number on what % of that 88% would have switched their vote to Republican in 2008 or 2012, or stop whining like a child...

Old 03-19-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Talk about deflection!

I brought up Johnson and Humphrey. Both candidates received 94% and 97% of the Black vote respectively. I've mentioned this before and no one seems to think about that.

And in 2012, a lower percentage of Blacks voted for President Obama than the last election.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:

Talk about deflection!

quit cryin...

Blacks vote Dem in high numbers regardless of color.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I brought up Johnson and Humphrey. Both candidates received 94% and 97% of the Black vote respectively. I've mentioned this before and no one seems to think about that.

And in 2012, a lower percentage of Blacks voted for President Obama than the last election.
you can't use them because there wasn't a black man on the ticket.

the only elections you can use are the last 2 because it helps their argument.

Things like facts and figures...oh, and common sense can't be used in this discussion

Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
you can't use them because there wasn't a black man on the ticket.

the only elections you can use are the last 2 because it helps their argument.

Things like facts and figures...oh, and common sense can't be used in this discussion
Yes I can. It is because there wasn't a Black man on the ticket that I can use them. Since 1960, the candidates who won the highest percentages of the Black vote have been White. Johnson won 94 percent and Humphrey won 97 perecnt. President Obama may have won 95 percent in 2008, but he won 93 percent this past election, a 2 percent drop.

And consider this, there were only TWO(2) people running these past 2 elections. Considering the disillusionment with the Republican Party from 2000-2008, it leaves alot to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections