Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:24 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times

Advertisements

Commentary from today's Philadelphia Inquirer from an active Republican. Not sure about the logistical details he cites but it is an interesting take. The short version is that politics on social media is essentially a circle jerk that leads to really misguided perceptions.

Link: Facebook's self-affirmation pushes GOP out of mainstream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
According to the op-ed Facebook is responsible for Romney losing. You know what? Romney is responsible for Romney losing. Whatever happened to Republicans taking responsibility.

I find this opinion piece particularly unconvincing.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
According to the op-ed Facebook is responsible for Romney losing. You know what? Romney is responsible for Romney losing. Whatever happened to Republicans taking responsibility.

I find this opinion piece particularly unconvincing.
I read the story or a similare one about how facebook affected the young vote. I have no idea if there is any truth in it, but if there is truth to the story, just chalk it up as excellent campaigning on the part of the Democrats and now, let's move on..I am so tired of the left saying ha, ha, we won and the right saying, yes, but we could have if things had been different. heck, I am in a family football pool and could be the only one that went 2for 2 yesterday. But there was a questionable call toward the end of the game, it was to AZ advantage; they won, so am i supposed to say, but only if...doesn't make any difference now, AZ won, NV lost..it is over!!!!

Old 12-16-2012, 11:09 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I read the story or a similare one about how facebook affected the young vote. I have no idea if there is any truth in it, but if there is truth to the story, just chalk it up as excellent campaigning on the part of the Democrats and now, let's move on..I am so tired of the left saying ha, ha, we won and the right saying, yes, but we could have if things had been different. heck, I am in a family football pool and could be the only one that went 2for 2 yesterday. But there was a questionable call toward the end of the game, it was to AZ advantage; they won, so am i supposed to say, but only if...doesn't make any difference now, AZ won, NV lost..it is over!!!!
You are missing the point, Nita. The premise is that social media creates an echo chamber of like minded people who then believe that everyone outside of their closed world believes the same as they do because they simply aren't hearing any dissenting voices.

It isn't a phenomena limited to Facebook, either. I've been a close follower of the birther movement, and even today, if you go onto one of their sites, they still are calling for marches on Washington, and think they can marshal up hundreds of thousands of people to support their cause. They believe so because they sit in their little echo chambers, agreeing with each other, feeding each other, and if anyone dares to raise a point in dissent, they are quickly shouted down, their posts deleted, and/or the poster banned from posting again. And since they hear (or allow) no dissent, they believe they must hold the mainstream point of view. Much like what the person who wrote this article outlines happened with Romney supporters in Pennsylvania.

You can't just "move on," because this same dynamic will be at play in the next election.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:34 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You are missing the point, Nita. The premise is that social media creates an echo chamber of like minded people who then believe that everyone outside of their closed world believes the same as they do because they simply aren't hearing any dissenting voices.
And like minded Romney supporters don't post on FB?

Judging from my wall, there were at least as many pro-Romney supporters posting as Obama supporters. The notion that FB tipped it to Obama is just another excuse.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:07 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

Judging from my wall, there were at least as many pro-Romney supporters posting as Obama supporters. The notion that FB tipped it to Obama is just another excuse.
You must not have read the article you commented on. It didn't suggest that Obama won because of FB marketing, it suggests that the Romney and many Republicans were blindsided by the size of the loss exactly because of the many pro-Romney postings on your wall.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:20 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
It was the FOX News/talk radio alternate reality and echo chamber that did Republicans in. They believed their own BS and were totally stunned when the election results came in.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:36 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech

I never said FB or any other form of social media tipped the election either way, only that people who live in echo chambers and never hear what is happening outside of them were blindsided by the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It was the FOX News/talk radio alternate reality and echo chamber that did Republicans in. They believed their own BS and were totally stunned when the election results came in.
No doubt that is true, but don't discount the impact of social media, especially among younger generations who don't listen to talk radio or watch Fox News.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I think the author mixes up a couple of mostly unrelated issues. He brings up the extremism meme, citing people like Akin, Angle, and O'Donnell. These were just poor candidates, unqualified for the US Senate. But there are people like Rubio and Rand Paul, who are just as 'extreme' when it comes to conservatism. But they were good candidates. So it's not a matter of whether candidates are 'extreme;' it's about whether they are qualified. So let's dump that meme. It's past its pull date anyway.

His other point seems to be that Dems are beating up R's when it comes to light media, whether it's Facebook, Good Morning America, People magazine--even ESPN. This has always been true, and it's probably getting worse. No question that the GOP has to come up with ways to deal with that. The low-info voter is here to stay.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:39 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,962 times
Quote:

It isn't a phenomena limited to Facebook, either. I've been a close follower of the birther movement, and even today, if you go onto one of their sites, they still are calling for marches on Washington, and think they can marshal up hundreds of thousands of people to support their cause. They believe so because they sit in their little echo chambers, agreeing with each other, feeding each other, and if anyone dares to raise a point in dissent, they are quickly shouted down, their posts deleted, and/or the poster banned from posting again. And since they hear (or allow) no dissent, they believe they must hold the mainstream point of view. Much like what the person who wrote this article outlines happened with Romney supporters in Pennsylvania.

You can't just "move on," because this same dynamic will be at play in the next election.
This is the most insightful post I've ever read on this forum! This exactly describes most of what is posted nowadays and it's pretty frightening...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections