Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
While I understand Christie's frustration I'm more frustrated by the politicians who put all that pork in the bill. Why can't Congress just put up a bill and help people who need it in a disaster?

Disgusting all around IMO...
That's exactly what the problem is. Too bad libs and fools from New Jersey don't get it.

Christie can blubber and blabber all day. He and his people get nothing from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I wasn't aware we were not paying our taxes and I certainly am not one the carries on about religion, is totally pro life, or has a problem with gays and equal rights. Obviously you choose to read into comments what you want...That's OK, if it makes you feel better.. BTW, didn't the last list of states with more people on welfare than employed include Ca but not Ar? Ther are 11 states that have more on welfare than emplyed; Ca was on the list, just saw it this morning. Guess you will have plenty of time to look this up and get back to me cause we are getting ready to leave for about 10 days..We decided to get away before we actually file our income tax..

Nita
Well, it's right there on the Tax Foundation graphic, that apparently y'all dont like to pay your income taxes (either that or more likely the state's mostly just too poor). And considering all the time you spend here on the Cali forums telling the rest of us how to ''improve'' things, whatcha doin' now, coming back to visit and do it ''in person'' (although we could use the AR tourist money... such as it is)?!!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Well, it's right there on the Tax Foundation graphic, that apparently y'all dont like to pay your income taxes (either that or more likely the state's mostly just too poor). And considering all the time you spend here on the Cali forums telling the rest of us how to ''improve'' things, whatcha doin' now, coming back to visit and do it ''in person'' (although we could use the AR tourist money... such as it is)?!!
well I am about to sign off for now, but before I do, could you tell me, when I said anything about how to improve California? No, I was there for my moms funeral in Oct and my neice is handling her estate. The only tie I have with Ca anymore is property in Paradise, which will be sold. I am going to fly to FLorida,,with our family, visit relatives and take a cruise...Darn, I wonder if that will leave me enough money to pay my income taxes?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
You forgot NASCAR, dear.
see what i mean? that too!

it's all BS.

none of that helps the people struggling and christie is a horse's ass for not making sure the money was actually directed to the people struggling. (i saw the same thing with some charities, cough... red cross... cough during the hurricanes)

i guess some people don't care whether the money appropriated actually makes it to the victims or not-because it is such a great media "talking point", isn't it?

BTW, just because i am from the south doesn't mean i watch nascar.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
see what i mean? that too!

it's all BS.

none of that helps the people struggling and christie is a horse's ass for not making sure the money was actually directed to the people struggling. (i saw the same thing with some charities, cough... red cross... cough during the hurricanes)

i guess some people don't care whether the money appropriated actually makes it to the victims or not-because it is such a great media "talking point", isn't it?

BTW, just because i am from the south doesn't mean i watch nascar.
Every bill has pork.

You are just upset that it's not your kind of pork.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:53 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Sandy affected tens of thousands more people than Katrina, and the damage was just as bad, but over a much larger area. There has never been a hurricane in our recorded history that was as large or as powerful as Sandy. The damage is the same scope as the tsunami in Thailand.

This is January. It's the coldest part of the year and New Jersey is in deep winter. These people need help right now, and a lot of it. There are a LOT of people who need the help.

I'm not willing to let my fellow Americans suffer. If my taxes go up in helping them, so be it. I may be the one who needs help someday, or you may be the next. A huge natural disaster is something none of us can predict or prepare for adequately, and my home state sure doesn't have the income to take care of us if something like Sandy was to happen here.

We have spent the money in the tornado belt. We have spent the money in New Orleans. We do the same in many places all over this country. The only thing that varies is the extent of the damage. We do it because we are all Americans, and this is our nation from every corner and from shore to shore.

Who cares about the people of New Jersey? I do. They are my fellow citizens, and what hurts them hurts me.

When it's your turn to get hurt, how will you feel? You may never get hit by a hurricane, but there is no place in our nation that is immune from floods, earthquakes, fires, or other disasters. Relief and recovery are never accomplished neatly and on the cheap, no matter how much we all would like that to happen, and nothing is getting less expensive these days.

Of course there will be some corruption. There are always people who will see a way to get ahead on someone else's misery. Live with it. It's a part of human nature, and you can do nothing at all about it.

Are you willing to give up your life and move away only for a disaster that may never come? I don't think so. Quit being so self-righteous and so quick to tell others what to do. When it's your turn, I doubt you will be so fast to deny for yourself what you're so willing to deny others.
Yawn.....your twisting....no one said give them NO help but, no one is advising to give them 8.5 times more than what Andrew (25 billion in damages) did? We spent 7 billion on that one....and the last time I checked, no one is freezing to death in the wake of Sandy. To hear you tell it, they are outside in the cold, destitute. Not the case. Not even close.

As far as helping them, I am paying taxes to help them....today. And so are you and you and you.......As far as the scam, we DO live with it but, we don't HAVE to....do we? And if you think , for a minute, anyone should just live with it when 2X the annual budget of New Jersey is at stake, think again....we aren't talking about a boiler room scamming a few hundred grand. We are talking about BILLIONS....with a B.......

And, it HAS been my turn in the past....and, I HAD good insurance and didn't wait for FEMA to show up and hand out jugs of water, either. When Andrew hit, it took 5 days for the national media to catch up in truly broiling heat, no AC for over a week...boo hoo....we got through it.

Represent the reply correctly. No one ever intoned, imparted, suggested, recommended that we leave them in the dark. They are my fellow americans too.....but, let's not pile on another 30 billion to fix things that have long, long been in need of repair....this is just too convenient for some.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:04 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Did Christie know the dems wanted to pass more pork in the same bill? Probably not. The Republicans are no dummies. They took out the pork of Obama and will spend wisely the peoples monies. A portion was approved and my small town had Christie there yesterday for the ground breaking of the new board walk to be built .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections