Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:46 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,732,662 times

Advertisements

I don't support the popularity contest and never have. I vote for the presidential candidate that best fits the office, the candidate that will actually uphold the Constitution.

If Ron Paul doesn't get the Republican nomination, I will find another candidate that represents those views. I already know that he or she wouldn't be found in either of the two major parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 05:33 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,074,314 times
I like Edwards and Gravel the best. They aren't frontrunners though, but I think Edwards has the best shot. I also like Obama but I don't think he's as "new" and "fresh" as the Mainstream Media wants us all to believe. Hillary, well, I would vote for her in the general election but I HOPE it doesn't come to that. She's not a bad candidate, just more of the same.

The MSM are foolish, and Democrats would be foolish, to overlook Edwards. He has a fighting attitude, is highly literate and well-spoken, and he's southern. Now days you can't win the presidency without carrying a few southern states. I think the mainstream media is not clear on how important that is.

Obama seems like a nice guy, his heart is in the right place, but he has alot to prove and he's made several goofs already. He also is not as commited to change as some of the less-well-known candidates. He's taken his share of corporate dollars and has a record shilling for the coal industry. Still, his "newness" is nice.

Hillary, OTOH, is going to get the women vote. That's my fear. All those frumpy, fat, rejected single women and ugly librarians are going to swing her way. Sad that identity politics is still alive, and still politically correct, but a big push for Hillary is because she is a woman and will somehow bring change due to her gonads being inside her body instead of outside them. Hillary's track record is thoroughly average as far as Democrats go, and she is pushing very little that is fresh or new. She also is not as committed to healthcare reform or tackling issues important to the poor and middle class as some other candidates. She's definitely not "extreme" enough on some issues for me!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:34 PM

791 posts, read 2,228,897 times
Both parties suck. Republicans/Democrats... 537 reasons to vote third party.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:31 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,354,739 times
Not only do both parties suck...all the candidates suck too.
I'm watching the Iowa contest...this will determine if Hillary can win anywhere...all her chips are bet on the political black-jack table there. It's all about crafted, fake perception by the media. I want to think that she has already won...but my common sense tells me the truth..
When she loses in Iowa..it will be time for Al Gore to step up his non-campaign. He will seem like a third party candidate.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:08 AM

119 posts, read 203,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
This is what you get when people think of single issues as being important...Not thinking that perhaps, as reasonable people, many good people do change when they are put in a role of responsibility...

Even in this thread I see someone taking a position, and stating an opinion, on one single issue (the Iraq war), while there are thousands of other issues in this country...

So, it's not what someone may say about any particular issue at a given time (even during an election) - What is more important is how they act (overall) in times of crisis and decision making...Their track record...Their experience and ability to reason things out...

People do change...And, very often act responsibly when they realize that they are in a position in which they have the destinies of others in their hands...

The political process in this country attracts the wrong people...Career politicians. Whereas, we have some incredibly talented and capable people that avoid "dirtying their hands" with it, as they are people of integrity...

While I write this, I think of someone like Colin Powell...A fine man, with a lot of integrity..Enough integrrity to honor his wife's observance about the importance of their own dignity, and how it would be sacrificed if he put his hat into the political arena...

I think the reason people keep discussing single issues is because everyone has an issue that is most important to them. for instance im a military spouse, my husband fought in Iraq, my priority is going to be the Iraq war. Do I think healcare is important? of course I do and a lot of other things too and I look at all of it when considering a canidate but I dont think it's wrong to focuss on the issue thats most important in ones life.I think most people would agreethat Iraq no matter here you stand on the issue IS whats on everyone's mind now days. I do want to know where each of them stands on Iraq, that makes a huge impact on our future doesnt it?

that being said I think you are right how they act in times of crisis overall is important, problem, they are politicians and we really dont see the real person until they are in that situation. Juliani got a lot of recognition for his actions after 9/11 im not so sure that alone makes him a good choice.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:38 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,376,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Clinton, Obama, Guilani, Romney. I have nightmares about any one of the four taking the office of presidency.
It's just u No I am just joking. I think I share your concern. I don't know if I will actually be voting on the best person for the job in my opinion or choosing the lesser of evils. Maybe as the election gets closer something will change. Try not to lose too much sleep. U r going to need your energy to choose.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,288,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
It's just u No I am just joking. I think I share your concern. I don't know if I will actually be voting on the best person for the job in my opinion or choosing the lesser of evils. Maybe as the election gets closer something will change. Try not to lose too much sleep. U r going to need your energy to choose.
Unfortunately thats been the case for the last 2 elections for sure . The problem is like trying to pick out 1 maggot among many... That is how I see todays politicians. They crawl around scavenging on americas emotions, spew rhetoric to garner votes but in the end do nothing but serve their own purposes. I hate to say it but our fed gov is the most broken down useless machine in american history. They are paralized by their inability to compromise. They are def to the voice of the very people who elected them.
Worse still they are blind to what is really important and to what their priority should be. Get spending under control, bring the troops home and secure our damn borders. These are the things America is screaming for them to do.
The OP is correct our leadership sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections