Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 PM

657 posts, read 695,109 times

Advertisements

I agree with you...

Handouts to welfare are so little that's almost a non-issue. But it does need work. What gripes me a bit is to see people with almost as good salary as me and lying to get government help, making people that care their personal slaves. These people blow it for those in need.

I'm totally in agreement that the bigger issue is handouts to military complex, education complex, medical complex (not medicare), banking complex. These are the ones strangling the middle class. Fixing these issues makes the other you mentioned non-issues.

This won't change until people like me, the strangled middle class, decides to put a stop to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Then we are in agreement, at least on some things. And there are plenty of legit criticisms about Obama, though am probably a lot more pragmatic than you might be. So rather than further rewarding the divide and conquer types by supporting a basically unelectable fringe candidate who otherwise sounds ''perfect'', I would just as soon choose a much more electable, if ''imperfect'' guy who's at least reasonably pointed in the right direction. And among other things, Obama is after all, supportive of OWS and much stronger regulations on Wall Street, even beyond the Dodd-Frank reforms and the Consumer Protection Act (which is certainly more than any GOP counterpart would do). In fact Wall Street & Big Banking have been fighting him tooth and nail on expanding Dodd-Frank, and contributed heavily to Romney because of it. Besides, from jobs and marriage, to friends and relocating, have yet to find anything in life that somehow didn't require some serious ''compromise''!

Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Oh you poor oppressed soul you! So you mean you finally had to leave the state, because Obama's jackbooted thugs threatened to haul you away to the FEMA labor camps (probably for making other RWNJ threats, from behind a keyboard of course ...LOL)?!! Hmmm, and now the Ron Paul fanatics are throwing their um, weight (such as it is) behind his son Rand (aka, Mr. "Black People Not Served Here")?!! Truly, the nut doesn't fall far from the tree!

BTW, saw an interview this AM on CSPAN with a conservative author named Lela Gilbert, and just hearing her talk and looking up her bio, it really struck me just how hopelessly mired in wingnuttery the GOP has become right now. For example, here's someone who is educated, articulate and well-traveled, a fellow at the conservative Hudson Institute, and a regular contributor to the Jerusalem Post, and National Review, among others.... all reasonable, not totally cuckoo creds, right? But what does she write about, except stuff like ''Persecuted: the Global Assault on Christians'' and apparently also appears regularly on right wing blogs that attack things like ''liberation theology'' (where priests in latin america defend peasant revolts) and ''The Welfare State'' (where you'd think the US had suddenly turned into Sweden)!

And then it dawned on me that this is no longer about politics, and that instead the GOP has become a flippin' religion, inside its own ecclesiastical echo chamber.... where even the smart ones now believe all this ideological b.s.!! Which also means that lotsa luck trying to come up with a new GOP platform, that even remotely sounds connected with the majority of voters (you know, the same ones who've already just rejected so much of this crap)!

Scary but true... they definitelty have become a religion and they won't take facts for an answer.. they believe in the right wing so anything they say must be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections