U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:20 PM

5,709 posts, read 3,140,697 times

Advertisements

This fascinating article investigates why the Republicans lost the last election by interviewing many of the actual republican players in the last election along with focus group interviews, etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/ma...agewanted=1&hp

Excerpts:

"But the problem for the G.O.P. extends well beyond its flawed candidate and his flawed operation. The unnerving truth, which the Red Edge team and other younger conservatives worry that their leaders have yet to appreciate, is that the Republican Party’s technological deficiencies barely begin to explain why the G.O.P. has lost the popular vote in five of the last six presidential elections. The party brand — which is to say, its message and its messengers — has become practically abhorrent to emerging demographic groups like Latinos and African-Americans, not to mention an entire generation of young voters. As one of the party’s most highly respected strategists told me: “It ought to concern people that the most Republican part of the electorate under Ronald Reagan were 18-to-29-year-olds. And today, people I know who are under 40 are embarrassed to say they’re Republicans. They’re embarrassed! They get harassed for it, the same way we used to give liberals a hard time.”

About an hour into the session, Anderson walked up to a whiteboard and took out a magic marker. “I’m going to write down a word, and you guys free-associate with whatever comes to mind,” she said. The first word she wrote was “Democrat.”

“Young people,” one woman called out.

“Liberal,” another said. Followed by: “Diverse.” “Bill Clinton.”“Change.”“Open-minded.”“Spending.”“Handouts.”“Green.”“More science-based.”

When Anderson then wrote “Republican,” the outburst was immediate and vehement: “Corporate greed.”“Old.”“Middle-aged white men.” “Rich.” “Religious.” “Conservative.” “Hypocritical.” “Military retirees.” “Narrow-minded.” “Rigid.” “Not progressive.” “Polarizing.” “Stuck in their ways.” “Farmers.”

Even though the article is heavy on the fact that the Republicans got beat by technology I doubt they would have won if they were as tech savvy as the Democrats with the exact same positions. Sometimes you need evolution not revolution.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 12:21 PM

25,515 posts, read 13,042,127 times
The Communist media praised Obama and made him a god.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 PM

20,194 posts, read 21,600,716 times
Fact is... one is in power, the other isn't.... then the other is in power, and the other is not... it goes in cycles... so for you or anyone who "try" to paint it as something else... sounds very stupid... sounds very liberal... eventually the Republicans will take power again... wah wah wah... yeah, I hear you...

Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 PM

Obviously you guys didn't read the article since I just posted it.

I suggest you read at least a good chunk of it before you respond to something that you don't know about.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:32 PM

4,373 posts, read 2,937,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The Communist media praised Obama and made him a god.
I read about half of the article and it doesn't paint the Republicans in a bad light nor does it paint the Democrats in a good light.

It just analyzes and presents information, people, quotes, and other goodies as to why the Republicans lost the election. I highly suggest you at least read the first three pages of it.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:33 PM

4,373 posts, read 2,937,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Fact is... one is in power, the other isn't.... then the other is in power, and the other is not... it goes in cycles... so for you or anyone who "try" to paint it as something else... sounds very stupid... sounds very liberal... eventually the Republicans will take power again... wah wah wah... yeah, I hear you.
[MOD CUT/off topic] the article is worth the read - at least the first three pages of it. It does a good job of being objective in its approach and hits some issues on the head.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-16-2013 at 07:13 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 PM

20,194 posts, read 21,600,716 times
The only issues it hits on the head are what you want to hear... you cannot be objective about it when the title of your article is "Can the GOP be saved from obsolescence"... please... really from the NY Times... how "unexpected"... whoops there I go with improper punctuation marks cause that is what I am concerned about rather than the babbling left trying to legitimitize their win by filling up the room with smoke and mirrors... please... the democrats and republicans knows its numbers and the only challenge is how they get their numbers to the polls... twitter isn't going to pay for your cab ride and the democrats have come up with a solution for that... did I just see ACORN drive by?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:41 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,138,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Obviously you guys didn't read the article since I just posted it.

I suggest you read at least a good chunk of it before you respond to something that you don't know about.
That's a really interesting article - I linked to it in another thread as well.

And never mind the Legion of the Damned Ignorant in this forum - you can bet Draper's piece is being read carefully where it really counts.

It's just that, even if serious GOP supporters and the party apparat take the points which Draper and his interviewees raise seriously, his conclusion contains what may be an impassable barrier for the GOP:

Quote:
But could a modern-day Reagan, even with Ken Mehlman running his campaign, overcome the party’s angry and antiquated image?
That angry and antiquated image - there's the rub. And especially for bright young sparks like Bret Jacobson, there's no real way to change it or go around it.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM

Well, I hope some open minded Republicans read it. It's pretty hard to fix what's broken if you just deny it's broken to begin with. Plus, we really could use two well functioning political parties in this country to be able deal with all the issues we have in an effective manner.

"It is Harris’s last point — that the G.O.P. is stuck with its current leadership for the next decade or more — that incites particular angst in young Republicans."

I guess if Obama was "change you can believe in" then the Republicans are "no change that fewer and fewer believe in."

Old 02-15-2013, 02:13 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,138,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Plus, we really could use two well functioning political parties in this country to be able deal with all the issues we have in an effective manner.
I agree - I hope the GOP can make itself viable again. If for no other reason than, unlike parliamentary systems, our government simply can't function when one of the two major parties thinks of itself as a revolutionary cadre determined to break the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections