Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:28 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I hope the Republican Party nominates someone who will:

Place the constitution above all by eliminating all gun control laws that reduce a citizens right to be armed anywhere they want to be.

Repeal Row v Wade and make any and all abortions criminal.

Require contraception to only be available for life threatening medical reasons.

Free Wall Street from onerous regulation.

Eliminate the EPA and allow all energy companies operate without regulation on emissions or prices.

Require all schools to start home room with the Pledge of Allegiance and a reading from the Holy Bible.

Require all schools to teach Creationism and Intelligent design as part of Real Science class.

Make Christianity and only Christianity the one and only legal religion in the US. Prosecute any pagans that refuse the One True church.

Return the US to real money by recognizing Gold as the only real store of wealth.

Eliminate regulation, licensing and controls on the Medical and Pharmaceutical industries.

Remove Obamacare, Medicare and Medicaid.

Expand the Military and set them on the mission to Christianize the rest of the world.

Deregulate the auto industry and eliminate fuel mileage requirements.

Eliminate all equal opportunity laws and return to the proper White way of life.

Repeal the 13th amendment.

Stop any and all child support payments, alimony and shared possession laws.

Eliminate the minimum wage requirements and open the borders to immigration from other White countries.

it would be a thrill to have a prominent Republican run on this platform. We need to restore the natural order of things and operate as we did in the good Old Christian Days.
GregW, was this sarcasm or for real? I'm concerned because you listed repealing the 13th Amendment and eliminating equal opportunity laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 05:42 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
And most of the public never knew Roosevelt was confined to a wheelchair until after he died.

It's a bit harder to hide Christie's BMI. He can easily lose much of the weight between now and 2015, and if he does then it's a sign he's definitely running. His bigger problem is his temperament. He takes questioning personally, blowing up at and sometimes stalking reporters, and having full on meltdowns over the slightest bit of criticism. A person like that won't last long on the campaign trail.
I agree. America won't tolerate Christie's obesity. We like our presidents to have a good physical image (even young Bill Clinton's weight wasn't as out of control as Christie's).

Having a non-standard physical presence is a major reason why Ross Perot wasn't taken seriously. It is doubtful that we will ever have another short or fat president in this age of visual mass media.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:08 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I hope the Republican Party nominates someone who will:

Place the constitution above all by eliminating all gun control laws that reduce a citizens right to be armed anywhere they want to be.

Repeal Row v Wade and make any and all abortions criminal.

Require contraception to only be available for life threatening medical reasons.

Free Wall Street from onerous regulation.

Eliminate the EPA and allow all energy companies operate without regulation on emissions or prices.

Require all schools to start home room with the Pledge of Allegiance and a reading from the Holy Bible.

Require all schools to teach Creationism and Intelligent design as part of Real Science class.

Make Christianity and only Christianity the one and only legal religion in the US. Prosecute any pagans that refuse the One True church.

Return the US to real money by recognizing Gold as the only real store of wealth.

Eliminate regulation, licensing and controls on the Medical and Pharmaceutical industries.

Remove Obamacare, Medicare and Medicaid.

Expand the Military and set them on the mission to Christianize the rest of the world.

Deregulate the auto industry and eliminate fuel mileage requirements.

Eliminate all equal opportunity laws and return to the proper White way of life.

Repeal the 13th amendment.

Stop any and all child support payments, alimony and shared possession laws.

Eliminate the minimum wage requirements and open the borders to immigration from other White countries.

it would be a thrill to have a prominent Republican run on this platform. We need to restore the natural order of things and operate as we did in the good Old Christian Days.
POE's Law at it's best

Old 11-10-2013, 06:10 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
GregW, was this sarcasm or for real? I'm concerned because you listed repealing the 13th Amendment and eliminating equal opportunity laws.
Are they the only things that concerned you about that post?

Old 11-10-2013, 03:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I agree. America won't tolerate Christie's obesity. We like our presidents to have a good physical image (even young Bill Clinton's weight wasn't as out of control as Christie's).

Having a non-standard physical presence is a major reason why Ross Perot wasn't taken seriously. It is doubtful that we will ever have another short or fat president in this age of visual mass media.
Perot wasn't taken seriously, are you kidding? I am not quite sure where you get your ideas. He didn't even enter the race til the summer and look at the % he got, running as an independent. Of course he was taken seriously, as seriously as anyone who had ever run without any political experience. :smack oh, and I realize you were not the person who made the comment about Roosevelt and his wheel chair, but it isn't even remotely true people didn't know about it til after his death. I was a little girl when he was President and even I knew he was in a wheel chair.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Perot wasn't taken seriously, are you kidding? I am not quite sure where you get your ideas. He didn't even enter the race til the summer and look at the % he got, running as an independent. Of course he was taken seriously, as seriously as anyone who had ever run without any political experience. :smack oh, and I realize you were not the person who made the comment about Roosevelt and his wheel chair, but it isn't even remotely true people didn't know about it til after his death. I was a little girl when he was President and even I knew he was in a wheel chair.
Ross Perot was mocked on SNL and generally not taken seriously as a presidential contender by mainstream voters and he lost. Most of the mockery was centered on his height and his Texas twang.

SOME people took him seriously but not nearly enough to matter.

His lack of getting elected is proof that I am right.

A lot of the people who laughed at him instead of listening to his warnings about NAFTA are not laughing anymore.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Ross Perot was mocked on SNL and generally not taken seriously as a presidential contender by mainstream voters and he lost. Most of the mockery was centered on his height and his Texas twang.

SOME people took him seriously but not nearly enough to matter.

His lack of getting elected is proof that I am right.

A lot of the people who laughed at him instead of listening to his warnings about NAFTA are not laughing anymore.
Texas twang: sorry I lived in Texas at that time, you are way off. Was there some mockery? sure, mainly because he was running as an independent, but it wasn't enough to even begin to cost him the election. He had absolutely no chance. You say his twang. what about Carter and his southern accent? Even Bush has an accent. Will Chirstie's weight hurt his chances? Probably, but you are dead wrong about Perot.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Texas twang: sorry I lived in Texas at that time, you are way off. Was there some mockery? sure, mainly because he was running as an independent, but it wasn't enough to even begin to cost him the election. He had absolutely no chance. You say his twang. what about Carter and his southern accent? Even Bush has an accent. Will Chirstie's weight hurt his chances? Probably, but you are dead wrong about Perot.
No, I am right.

There are Americans who live outside of Texas, believe it or not, and many of them made fun of his nasily twang.

I did not say he was the only politician with an accent or who was short.

I also didn't say I agreed with the mockery sent his way.

What I did say is that most Americans didn't take him seriously as a presidential candidate and I stand by that.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
No, I am right.

There are Americans who live outside of Texas, believe it or not, and many of them made fun of his nasily twang.

I did not say he was the only politician with an accent or who was short and

I also didn't say I agreed with the mockery sent his way.

What I did say is that most Americans didn't take him seriously as a presidential candidate and I stand by that.
No, most do not take anyone that isn't from the Democrat or Republican part seriously, but he did get more support than another independent has ever gotten, don't you agree with that?? BTW, everyone I know who supported him and I know a few, including my own parents and other family member were not from Texas or living there. My argument is simply, your comment that is cost him the election, which is certainly not the case. I still, sometimes wonder where you get your information? Regardless we will just have to disagree on this one, like we do on a few other things. There is the realistic world and the dream world, some of us live in one, some the other.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
No, most do not take anyone that isn't from the Democrat or Republican part seriously, but he did get more support than another independent has ever gotten, don't you agree with that?? BTW, everyone I know who supported him and I know a few, including my own parents and other family member were not from Texas or living there. My argument is simply, your comment that is cost him the election, which is certainly not the case. I still, sometimes wonder where you get your information? Regardless we will just have to disagree on this one, like we do on a few other things. There is the realistic world and the dream world, some of us live in one, some the other.
Yeah, for the record, I NEVER said Perot lost BECAUSE of his accent (or height).

He wasn't taken seriously because he was a rich, political outsider with (what were to many) "wacky political ideas". His informercials weren't "normal" campaigning. He wasn't a "normal" politician and he didn't have a deep political history from which people could draw conclusions about how he'd govern.

The accent and his physical stature HELPED comedians and others build a caricature of the man which kind of sealed the deal with the nation of him being a complete outsider, outside of the system and pretty much a '92 sideshow. If he looked and sounded like George Clooney but with the same anti-NAFTA platform he still would have been too "outside" to win.

Again, for the record, I always liked the man and his ideas and I think America's shallowness led to his warnings going unheeded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections