Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:46 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,154,610 times

Advertisements

Did anyone notice that only one person answered the question.

So, are there any Clinton supporters who have something to say. Or is this just another opportunity to bash the Senator.

Mind, she isn't my candidate and therefore I was loathe to respond...but the title captured my attention.

Last edited by ontheroad; 10-22-2007 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 07:50 PM

7,549 posts, read 17,294,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingLiberal View Post
Really. All you Hillary supporters please tell me why you would vote for her. Please be specific! What exactly are her qualifications? Was it because she was married to a president?
I find myself asking the same things (well, except the last) about Fred Thompson.

Hillary has had experience as a first lady and an elected official. She has put forth plans, stances on issues, and ideas that I agree with, mostly. She isn't perfect, but if I were president, my plans would match closer to Hillary's (and Edwards') than anyone else's.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 PM

13,621 posts, read 21,434,959 times
I don't know how many times I'll say this but I'll say it again.

I generally do not agree with Democrats,specially liberal ones,but I do think some have patriotic intentions in mind besides personal gain.

Clinton has nothing but personal gain in mind,a thirst for power,and has no true patriotic intentions,one way it became noticable to me was when she won the senate seat she didn't even wait for her opponent concede the election,she just marched out on stage claiming victory.Even the commentor said it was normally politeness to let the opponent concede first.

I think of George Washington who was offered to be king of America when it was still being debated as to whether American should have one,and how he denounced the idea and left the political field when in that time period a man of such fame was expected to claim power....and how many of todays politicians specially Clinton would ask..."so where's my crown?".

Old 10-22-2007, 11:15 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,218,541 times
What has Hillary done to have gained so much support.

Well for one she is a woman, two she is a Clinton, and three is that she is one of the most well connected individuals in the whole Washington to NY corridor of power. Hillary Clinton IS the establishment personified. She is as name brand as Nike, Wheaties, and Chevy, she has a knack for never getting caught because she never really really takes a strong and clear position on anything. She is all things to all people, be it those who support her and those who condemn her, she is everything.

Think of it this way, nearly 40% of Americans alive today do not know of any other President other than a Bush or a Clinton.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:24 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,069,768 times
Oh, Bill Clinton is her husband... and that's great how? The best Republican president we ever had? I tell you what, I'm a true Democrat, have been all my life but I never voted for Clinton. Clinton was a dirtbag sex fiend who just happened to have the luck of a good economy. 75 percent of his policies were in direct contradiction of the long history of the Democrat party. The only thing he actually stood the line on was abortion, everything else was up for grabs and triangulation, there were few groups he wasn't willing to throw under the bus. And yet people lapped that crap up anyways, calling him "gay-friendly" or the "first black president", not looking at what his policies actually did (DOMA, "Don't ask don't tell", "welfare reform"- AKA targetted hit on poor/minorities, NAFTA- "**** you, unions"). All the while he was doing the bidding of his corporate handlers.

Do we really want 8 more years of that? Rhetoric and platitudes, and no action aside from letting corporations run the show?

Old 10-23-2007, 06:40 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,998,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Oh, Bill Clinton is her husband... and that's great how? The best Republican president we ever had? I tell you what, I'm a true Democrat, have been all my life but I never voted for Clinton. Clinton was a dirtbag sex fiend who just happened to have the luck of a good economy. 75 percent of his policies were in direct contradiction of the long history of the Democrat party. The only thing he actually stood the line on was abortion, everything else was up for grabs and triangulation, there were few groups he wasn't willing to throw under the bus. And yet people lapped that crap up anyways, calling him "gay-friendly" or the "first black president", not looking at what his policies actually did (DOMA, "Don't ask don't tell", "welfare reform"- AKA targetted hit on poor/minorities, NAFTA- "**** you, unions"). All the while he was doing the bidding of his corporate handlers.

Do we really want 8 more years of that? Rhetoric and platitudes, and no action aside from letting corporations run the show?
It's amusing when I read opinions like this because I clearly remember the times of Bill Clinton's Presidency quite differently. I remember it as one of the only times in my life we had 8 years of peace AND weren't critically concerned about nuclear war. I remember it as a time when all of my friends and family were gainfully employed, higher education was still affordable, healthcare was affordable and we weren't forced into HMO's, and we had a President who was a great speaker, and who with what he said connected with a much larger percentage of the American public. For a list of his accomplishments visit the following link:
The Clinton Record - Clinton's Accomplishments

Anyone who gets hung up on the whole Monica-thing as the highlight of his 8 year term really isn't being objective (dirtbag sex fiend? what are you talking about?). I remember when the whole thing was happening (the investigation, hearings, ridiculous and unrelentless media coverage) democrats, independants, and reasonable non-politician republicans alike were shaking their heads and commenting how the whole thing was a waste of money and time. The president was well into his second term, things were going rather well politically, economically, and international relations-wise - there was absolutely no way he was going to be successfully impeached. Yet, the Republican politicians wanted so badly to make Bill the poster-child of typical Democrat morality to secure the next presidency and majority in congress that they lost sight of everything positive Bill had achieved (and tried to sweep it all under the rug).

Does all of this help Hillary out now? Yes, I think it does. It only took two terms of our current president and a few years with a Republican-led congress for citizens to see the light... indeed regardless of political affiliation no one is perfect, and indeed in the political arena it would seem that sex and infidelity is rampant. Our next election won't thus be so focused upon those topics... but instead upon really important and impactful ones that matter. Hopefully this means that people won't vote upon party-lines but instead for the candidates that best represents their interests both for president and for new members of congress. For Hillary this means that voters will see that having a successful ex-President as her "first man" will be potentially very helpful while she is in office. Does it also have drawbacks?... certainly (the whole thought about Clintons and Bush's having been in office for decades is true... and that might be something to hold her back).

Old 10-24-2007, 05:42 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,069,768 times
Those good times you remember were not all Clinton's doing alone, in fact he played a very small part in any of it. If I may speak plainly, his policies helped lead the way to the current crisis the nation is facing. It is a bit of a joke when some call him "The best Republican president we ever had". His policies were straight out of Reagan's playbook 90 percent of the time.

His legacy:

- NAFTA
- globalization
- expanded the H1-B visa program which every year takes away thousands of jobs from US citizens and gives them to "guests".
- ended welfare "as we know it", replaced it with... forced labor with minimal compensation and an extra dollop of humiliation and degredation. No problem for the "first black president" throwing poor people under the bus
- "Don't ask, Don't Tell". "Defense of Marriage Act". The "first gay president" had no problem throwing sexual minorities under the bus.
- he rejected the Kyoto treaty. How should future generations view his legacy when Manhattan and Miami are buried under ten to twenty feet of water?

To top it all off, he acted like a damn fratboy satyrist instead of an adult man with some self-restraint. The whole Monica thing was just embarassing and a 50+ year old man shouldn't be engaging in that sort of behavior. It was also not an isolated incident. We need to hold leaders to a high standard, especially while they are in office. They don't have to be saints but they also shouldn't disgrace their office.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:51 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,481,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I find myself asking the same things (well, except the last) about Fred Thompson.

Hillary has had experience as a first lady and an elected official. She has put forth plans, stances on issues, and ideas that I agree with, mostly. She isn't perfect, but if I were president, my plans would match closer to Hillary's (and Edwards') than anyone else's.
First lady does not a President make!

Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 PM

7,549 posts, read 17,294,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
First lady does not a President make!
No, generally one has to be elected to such an office.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,249,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I remember it as one of the only times in my life we had 8 years of peace AND weren't critically concerned about nuclear war.
Ahh yes, times of peace under Clinton.. Doesnt get any more peaceful then this..

the WTC first attack
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f2/WTC_1993_ATF.jpg/250px-WTC_1993_ATF.jpg (broken link)

Oklahoma City Bombings

Waco (just have to love the FLAG in the photo dont you?)

The attack on USS Cole

bombings of Kosovo.

The Aspirin factory
http://www.cnn.com/US/9808/20/us.strikes.02/injured.jpg (broken link)

Sudan
http://www.cnn.com/US/9808/20/us.strikes.01/strike.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by pghquest; 10-24-2007 at 11:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections