Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:17 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,442,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
It's threads like this that remind me why the truly brilliant, thinking, compassionate, potential leaders in this country never run for office. Because they don't want to be castrated by the sorts of backwards posts we've seen in this thread, to be picked apart by "the other side" for the most minuscule, overblown perceived slight or reaction.

'We" get the leaders we deserve, and that is very sad indeed.
The same thing can be said about anyone famous and there is not a shortage of people striving for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 07:40 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Obama is refusing to wear the flag pin since 9/11! Before 9/11 he wore one!
Bush again he is not running for President!
Dean screamed allot he was out of control and he is an idiot and people saw that!
Refusing to place the hand over the heart is a clear display of rebellion and disrespect for our country!

Obama quote:

Instead the Illinois senator answered the question at length, explaining that he no longer wears such a pin, at least in part, because of the Iraq War.

"You know, the truth is that right after 9/11, I had a pin," Obama said.

"Shortly after 9/11, particularly because as we're talking about the Iraq War, that became a substitute for I think true patriotism,

which is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security, I decided I won't wear that pin on my chest.

"Instead," he said, "I'm going to try to tell the American people what I believe will make this country great, and hopefully that will be a testimony to my patriotism."
Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles

ABC News: Barack Obama Drops U.S. Flag Pin

Yep. That's one of the smartest things he's ever said. Keeping a tattered flag on your car or putting a flag lapel on your jacket doesn't make you love your country if you won't advocate for the things this country is supposed to stand for.

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 04:05 AM..

Old 10-28-2007, 02:30 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,709 times
So basically, A Presidential candidate can clearly state his rationale for an action, and you still associate it with disrespect? If you would have read Sen. Obama's quote, you would see that he did wear the lapel pin for a short time after Spet. 11th. It was only when the flag was waved by overzealous hawks that Obama took his off. It is no less patriotic to not wear a flag in disagreement than it is to wear it symbolically as you begin needless wars.
I think the people that try to monopolize the flag for their political gain are should be ashamed. It shows a lack of conscience.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:43 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Sure he screwed up, but I can't imagine ever extrapolating the fact that a politician forgetting to put his hand over his heart once among the thousands of times he is photographed during national anthems as some type of disrespect for the status quo, and all the rest of these ulterior motives you associate with it.

I truly find it bizarre.
Jdiddy - I find it bizarre too!...I find it bizarre that I associated any ulterior motives with it...Because I reviewed what I wrote, and other than something I said in jest (the Michael Jackson thing), I cannot find anything that I am accusing him of, other than screwing up in this particular situation...

That's bizarre!...

Read again...I said (several times) that I am sure that he is quite a capable individual...

I just think that he (and anybody else) will not get elected without winning the majority of the voters...Conforming to the status quo,...By adhering to proper protocol...

And, it's certainly true that too many people too often harp on one incident of any public persona...But, it is an election for the person who will "have their finger on the button" (as the now old saying goes)...And, people do expect much more from them than other public persona..Incredibly more, because it is a job with incredible responsibilities...

Old 10-29-2007, 05:56 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,215,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
do people still do that? aside from the brave americans that gave their lives to promote the ideals of this country, i don't find much to be proud of as an american anymore.
Feel free to leave if your that unhappy.
Me I am proud to be American. We are still always among the first to respond to a natural disaster and give the most to help those victims. Even when at war we found the ability to be among the first and most giving after the tsunami that devestaed S East asia.
We have fed our enemies in times of famine Russia, N.Korea, and China. What other nation of people are so giving?

Old 10-29-2007, 07:54 AM

223 posts, read 604,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Feel free to leave if your that unhappy.
Me I am proud to be American. We are still always among the first to respond to a natural disaster and give the most to help those victims. Even when at war we found the ability to be among the first and most giving after the tsunami that devestaed S East asia.
We have fed our enemies in times of famine Russia, N.Korea, and China. What other nation of people are so giving?
We are still always among the first to respond to a natural disaster...except when it really counts in our own country (I mean properly, not absulutely)

and maybe we shouldn't be feeding our enemies and should be spending that money on bettering the lives of those in need in our own country, dont you think?

We like to give alright, give to everyone else. I find it ironic that "conservatives" and the like are always quick to nix any idea of helping out tose in need and the unfortunate in our own country by labeling them lazy; but they are quick to jump up and wear the fact that we help out the rest of the dam world as a badge of honor...friggin hypocrites.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:19 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Jdiddy - I find it bizarre too!...I find it bizarre that I associated any ulterior motives with it...Because I reviewed what I wrote, and other than something I said in jest (the Michael Jackson thing), I cannot find anything that I am accusing him of, other than screwing up in this particular situation...

That's bizarre!...

Read again...I said (several times) that I am sure that he is quite a capable individual...

I just think that he (and anybody else) will not get elected without winning the majority of the voters...Conforming to the status quo,...By adhering to proper protocol...

And, it's certainly true that too many people too often harp on one incident of any public persona...But, it is an election for the person who will "have their finger on the button" (as the now old saying goes)...And, people do expect much more from them than other public persona..Incredibly more, because it is a job with incredible responsibilities...
I thought there was quite a bit eluded to in all those ellipses. If that's not the case, it's easier to avoid that misunderstanding in the future by completing your thoughts, and not starting one only to leave it in a trail of periods.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
We are still always among the first to respond to a natural disaster...except when it really counts in our own country (I mean properly, not absulutely)

and maybe we shouldn't be feeding our enemies and should be spending that money on bettering the lives of those in need in our own country, dont you think?

We like to give alright, give to everyone else. I find it ironic that "conservatives" and the like are always quick to nix any idea of helping out tose in need and the unfortunate in our own country by labeling them lazy; but they are quick to jump up and wear the fact that we help out the rest of the dam world as a badge of honor...friggin hypocrites.
What disasters did we not respond to state side? OH No not Katrina again!!!!
Read popular mechanics Katrina debunking the myths... You will see that it was not all the federal gov's fault. In fact very little of it was. Or is Popular Mecanics a political rag for the conservatives?
I agree with you in we should cut foreign aid to 0... WE can not afford even a dime in foreign aid as long as even 1 american is doing without a college education because they cant afford it. Doing without 3 square meals a day or is living in a cardboard box. My post was in responce to someone saying they cant be proud of their country. I am damn proud to be an american.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:37 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,709 times
Umm....The flooding of New Orleans was caused by the Army Corps diggin the Mississippi River Gulf outlet and surrounding it with inferior wall. Even if the State failed, why would it take the Federal government so long to help people. Literally, people died in front of the Convention Center waiting for help. That is the honace of the federal government too. It was all their falt when they weren't there to pick up the slack.
Please don't tell people to leave America. It is a really juvenile, unintellignet and insolent response. Governemnt needs to be afraid of the people, and people who raise concerns are not hating America, they are hating what America is becoming, and whre it is going. If these sort of people were not here, the political spectrum would lose an important part. I never tell Republicans to just leave, I never tell anyone to just leave. We are a nation united, a house divided cannot stand.
I agree that we should cut alot of our international aid.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Umm....The flooding of New Orleans was caused by the Army Corps diggin the Mississippi River Gulf outlet and surrounding it with inferior wall. Even if the State failed, why would it take the Federal government so long to help people. Literally, people died in front of the Convention Center waiting for help. That is the honace of the federal government too. It was all their falt when they weren't there to pick up the slack.
Please don't tell people to leave America. It is a really juvenile, unintellignet and insolent response. Governemnt needs to be afraid of the people, and people who raise concerns are not hating America, they are hating what America is becoming, and whre it is going. If these sort of people were not here, the political spectrum would lose an important part. I never tell Republicans to just leave, I never tell anyone to just leave. We are a nation united, a house divided cannot stand.
I agree that we should cut alot of our international aid.
In the late 960's the army core of engineers did a study on New Orleans. They sighted the problems and in fact predicted what would happen. The Fed Gov gave La money to start work to improve the situation. New orleans opted not to repair the faulty system....
The convention center: Trucks were loaded with relief supplies and turned away. Not by FEMA, not by the fed Gov but by the local Gov.
Read Pop Mechanics write up on it and you may learn that you were hoodwinked by the main stream media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections