Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:55 AM

646 posts, read 1,639,533 times

Advertisements

since when do we have to cover our hearts for the national anthem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Weeks after coming under fire for his refusal to wear an American flag pin, Democratic presidential contender Sen. Barack Obama is again facing questions about his patriotism from some conservative blogs -- this time for apparently failing to put his hand over his heart during a rendition of the national anthem at an Iowa campaign event.

The Raw Story | No hand over heart from Obama during national anthem
--------------

I find the pin thing so lame its to bad garbage like that works.

If you wear a flag pin than ofcourse your a patriot ,your a "better" American than those that dont . According to GOP smear machine.

The hand over heart thing is as silly .

Old 08-12-2008, 11:13 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
I'm not a huge Obama fan, but all he's ever said about these non-issues is that he doesn't buy into all the empty symbols that the faux patriots THINK is patriotism. Patriotism is what you believe in, how you act, and what you do to preserve American values and traditions. It has nothing to do with wearing pins, waving flags, or putting ribbon magnets on your car.

Good point about "how you act" and that is why many find Obama not patriotic.

I mean, afterall, Obama had a mentor for 20 years that called the US, the "United States of KKK".......I would say that action is unpatriotic.

Obama took his little girls to a church where the minister made sexual hand gestures while preaching. Subjecting a child to that isn't very patriotic.

Meeechelle had problems being "proud" of her country and therefore one would assume isn't patriotic.

Obama associated with a known terrorist William Ayers. That action certainly is not patriotic.

Obama passed on the chance to visit the injured troops on his European prance. That isn't very patriotic.

Yep, I agree with your post....patriotism is about actions.....and Obama's actions show little, if any, patriotism.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:20 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
Again, the simplest question is offered to you patriotism intellectuals:

Why does someone so unpatriotic toward America, want to be America's leader?

Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Again, the simplest question is offered to you patriotism intellectuals:

Why does someone so unpatriotic toward America, want to be America's leader?
--------------

I dont disagree with what Obama's preacher stated so thats my answer.

Thus I dont see anything unpatriotic about it .

"Meeechelle had problems being "proud" of her country and therefore one would assume isn't patriotic."

She meant it due to the huge new volume of voters (lol actually she isnt kidding anyone when she said that's what she meant ) .

She meant it because a black man can be the Dem candidate she thought it was impossible and I agree with her on that also.

Again see nothing wrong with her statement.

I do think Obama's friendship with the ex terrorists is a terrible lack of judgement and character flaw I dont justify that .

Old 08-12-2008, 11:47 AM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
John McCain said that he didnt start being proud of America until he was in the Vietnamese prison....so for the first 30 years of his life he had no pride in America; I don't know why John McCain had no pride in America, but I was proud of America from the time I sang "My Country Tis of Thee" in the first grade....now I will confess that I have had periods when I was less than proud..(Viet Nam and Iraq)...but it didn't take me thirty years to have pride in America, that was a given rooted in its ideals and principles--the times I was ashamed were those times we went astray....ashamed but I never give up hope and faith in the dream.

Last edited by elston; 08-12-2008 at 12:14 PM..

Old 08-12-2008, 11:57 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
If you want to gauge patriotism, this is an issue to care about:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...a-georgia.html

Gestures are nice, but what do they mean? Some of the most despicable leaders in world history placed their hands over their hearts. Did that make them good men?

Pay attention to issues.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:07 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Good point about "how you act" and that is why many find Obama not patriotic.

I mean, afterall, Obama had a mentor for 20 years that called the US, the "United States of KKK".......I would say that action is unpatriotic.

Obama took his little girls to a church where the minister made sexual hand gestures while preaching. Subjecting a child to that isn't very patriotic.

Meeechelle had problems being "proud" of her country and therefore one would assume isn't patriotic.

Obama associated with a known terrorist William Ayers. That action certainly is not patriotic.

Obama passed on the chance to visit the injured troops on his European prance. That isn't very patriotic.

Yep, I agree with your post....patriotism is about actions.....and Obama's actions show little, if any, patriotism.

You're all about misrepresenting the facts in order to justify your hatred. Sad...

Old 08-12-2008, 12:28 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I saw a video of GWBush at the Olympics representing the USA, sitting repeatedly banging an American flag against his thigh. I don't for an instant think he was unpatriotic or intending to desecrate the flag....I just think he has a short attention span and gets bored really easily. If it had been Senator Obama....the news and Sen. McCain, and his second wife, would have been all over it.
LoL!!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 01:07 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I saw a video of GWBush at the Olympics representing the USA, sitting repeatedly banging an American flag against his thigh. I don't for an instant think he was unpatriotic or intending to desecrate the flag....I just think he has a short attention span and gets bored really easily. If it had been Senator Obama....the news and Sen. McCain, and his second wife, would have been all over it.

Well, he's been "banging" the U.S. for almost 8 years why not the flag. I think THAT was very symbolic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections