Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:35 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and it is rare I agree with you, but you are right. This doesn't mean he wasn't somewhat ahead of his time, with some pretty good ideas, but he is not a public speaker or debater and now his days are probably over.
He stumbled with his words on national tv. I don't like him but that was a big part of how he was judged. Obamas cool.
It's always about policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
He stumbled with his words on national tv. I don't like him but that was a big part of how he was judged. Obamas cool.
It's always about policy.
Oh, I think we are all aware of his stumbling and why he did, who knows The last couple of debates before he hung it up were much better. I had heard he was on heavy meds from his back surgery. I do not know if this is true or not, but it could have accounted for his performance, especially knowing he isn't the best debater anyway. As for his policies, the ones I know of I like. Again, I am generalizing. Not everything he says and does is what I consider the best choice but do any of us agree with anyone 100%?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:32 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Oh, I think we are all aware of his stumbling and why he did, who knows The last couple of debates before he hung it up were much better. I had heard he was on heavy meds from his back surgery. I do not know if this is true or not, but it could have accounted for his performance, especially knowing he isn't the best debater anyway. As for his policies, the ones I know of I like. Again, I am generalizing. Not everything he says and does is what I consider the best choice but do any of us agree with anyone 100%?
I've stated this earlier: Rick Perry's lackluster performance in the debates may stem from just being so dominant in Texas state politics and not having to defend himself much in the art of debate before. His strength is in retail politics (few are better), going out and pressing the flesh, and schmoozing.

I guess the big question for Gov. Perry is whether he's going to run again, and then, what are his prospects for getting reelected if he chooses to run?

Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I've stated this earlier: Rick Perry's lackluster performance in the debates may stem from just being so dominant in Texas state politics and not having to defend himself much in the art of debate before. His strength is in retail politics (few are better), going out and pressing the flesh, and schmoozing.

I guess the big question for Gov. Perry is whether he's going to run again, and then, what are his prospects for getting reelected if he chooses to run?
I agree with you but I don't think we will ever know what really happened. I do know whatever, he certainly shocked a lot of people, his supporters for sure and there were a lot of them. I really doubt he will make an attempt at the Presidency again. I would guess, win or lose his last days in politics will be running for governor one more time.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:47 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,326 times
Quote:
He was on heavy medication after his "awesome" experimental back surgery. Another reason for the distraction is that Texas was on fire (You might remember he had to cancel being at one of the earliest debates). Silverkris is correct, he doesn't get as much challenge in Texas and he is great with retail politics.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
He was on heavy medication after his "awesome" experimental back surgery. Another reason for the distraction is that Texas was on fire (You might remember he had to cancel being at one of the earliest debates). Silverkris is correct, he doesn't get as much challenge in Texas and he is great with retail politics.
you know, for the most part we are all saying pretty much the same thing: he had distractions, regardless as to what they were, his time has past and now we need to move ahead...

Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
You have previously claimed you don't like the hard social right of the Republican Party, yet Perry is the very essence of the hard social right. This is a guy who flipped out on the Supreme Court because the court ruled Texas's laws banning Sodomy were Unconstituional after it was challenged by a couple who were arrested for having sex in the Privacy of their own bedroom. This is the guy who put out an ad going off about it not being right that gays can openly serve in the Military. The man is WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to the right.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
You have previously claimed you don't like the hard social right of the Republican Party, yet Perry is the very essence of the hard social right. This is a guy who flipped out on the Supreme Court because the court ruled Texas's laws banning Sodomy were Unconstituional after it was challenged by a couple who were arrested for having sex in the Privacy of their own bedroom. This is the guy who put out an ad going off about it not being right that gays can openly serve in the Military. The man is WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to the right.
and that is why I said, I didn't like everything he stood for, but I liked his stand on immigration for one thing and I couldn't find too many other Republicans, at the time that lit my fire. I totally agree with what you are saying about my views on extreme right socially. I normally support candidates that are fiscally conservative, would love to find one that is fiscally conservative but socially moderate, but last year there were not. This is one reason presidents like Reagan were so popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections