Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 05:36 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times

Advertisements

Seems like a lot of folks are talking Hillary Clinton on the D side. Blech!

I suppose it might be time to vote GOP, but that is, frankly, a terrifying prospect. Most of the current GOP seem to be paid thugs, pimping Jesus for Lockheed-Martin and the oil lobby.

Is there one candidate who is sane, moderate, and rational?

The 2012 GOP lineup was a shop of horrors, or a farce, whichever you prefer.

I mean someone who believes in limits to military spending, who has not signed any stupid tax pledges, believes in and supports science, does not spew supply-side propaganda, cares about the environment, and can actually work with people of differing views, and has the ballz to stand up to the wackaloon, dittohead fringe in their party?

Please provides some examples, and give their chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 05:46 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Across the board GOP moderates cannot get elected. Only a strong fiscal conservative will resonate enough to win. He will need to blend in some Libertarian leanings along social lines. So far, I guess I'd say Rand Paul might fit the bill.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:47 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
The ones that were quit politics in disgust

Old 03-24-2013, 06:52 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,313,161 times
Rand Paul

Gary Johnson

Old 03-24-2013, 07:04 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,512,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I mean someone who believes in limits to military spending, who has not signed any stupid tax pledges, believes in and supports science, does not spew supply-side propaganda, cares about the environment, and can actually work with people of differing views, and has the ballz to stand up to the wackaloon, dittohead fringe in their party?
Sound like you've described a model Democrat

Old 03-24-2013, 07:36 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
The GOP base in control of the primaries is in no mood for modernizing and moderating. I highly doubt the GOP nominee will be like one you described.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:52 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Unfortunately, we have come to a point where being a moderate won't help you win. It is all about who can be a party puppet.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:04 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
By the same token in case the GOP nominates a deadweight, are there any Democrats on the horizon who are sane and rational? E.G. don't believe that a peanut butter jelly sandwich bitten into the shape of a gun is a major threat. Don't believe that a $400 billion deficit under Bush was an outrage, while a $1.2 trillion deficit under Obama is excusable. Don't believe that spending a million dollars on blackberry phones for people trying to quit smoking is economic stimulus. Don't believe that you need ID to buy a pack of smokes but not to vote. Don't believe that Sarah Palin was somehow responsible for the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords by a mentally ill man.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:09 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Seems like a lot of folks are talking Hillary Clinton on the D side. Blech!

I suppose it might be time to vote GOP, but that is, frankly, a terrifying prospect. Most of the current GOP seem to be paid thugs, pimping Jesus for Lockheed-Martin and the oil lobby.

Is there one candidate who is sane, moderate, and rational?

The 2012 GOP lineup was a shop of horrors, or a farce, whichever you prefer.

Please provides some examples, and give their chances.
Chris Christie
Bobby Jindal
John Huntsman

I would vote for Chris Christie based on what he is like now.
I would also consider Rand Paul if he doesn't speak about religion or social issues.

Disclaimer: I voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 and am happy with my choice given his competition.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
The question is a good one, but outside of the rational candidates that come to mind (Huntsman, Johnson and Christie already mentioned) I think the larger question is will the lunatic fringe of the party steer them into the rocks, yet again?

The "old guard" is feeble in the GOP today, and they are struggling with sharing power with the Tea Party Express, and its overt and noisy lunacy. Does anyone expect the base to get enthusiastic about the three sane candidates mentioned?

Only if they can transform themselves, like Romney did, forgetting everything they once stood for. Your "moderate" candidate will have to be a chameleon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections