Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrunner88 View Post
I would tend to agree, which is why I'm still shocked to this day that someone as worthlessly inept as Obama managed to win the nomination. While I'm not a fan of Biden or Clinton, at least both of those two are leaders. Obama is a politician, plain and simple. A senator no less, which makes me gag. No one should run a country who doesn't have executive experience.
I do think Clinton(either one of them) are leaders, whether I like them or not, but Biden? I don't get the infatuation some have with him. He ran for pres twice and couldn't get out of the batters box, he seems like a really nice, genuine guy, even if he is guilty of plaigarizing, but a leader, absolutely not. He is more of clown, says things that make no sense and spends most of his time with his foot in his mouth. At least that is how I see him..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 02:58 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrunner88 View Post
One form of economics does not work forever. There is a gentle push and pull with the power base in our country in the executive and legislative branches and overall both parties can be put to blame with failures and successes. I happen to think that taxation, especially on corporations, or higher taxes at least is not the answer. Demonizing your tax base so badly that they decide to leave your state or country only reduces the amount of taxes coming in. Supporting unsustainable pension programs only servers to bankrupt companies, and now cities (see California, and Chicago isn't too far behind, give it another 15 years).

All businesses, whether headed by someone with democrat leanings or republican leanings, are looking to maximize profits by automation, and sending work overseas. This is a fundamental problem and the only solution is to encourage Americans to start looking into new skill sets for the 21st century. Those jobs are dead, and we as a nation need to start getting used to it as we move into a global economy and "spread our wealth around" so to speak.

I'm with Democrats when it comes to the GOP's stubbornness on social issues, and their unwillingness to reach out to minority groups. There is a reason blacks won't vote for us, despite the fact that their situation isn't improving under democrat leadership in the respective communities that many blacks live in. Why would any gay American vote for a party that believes they are going to hell for something they can't control? Why should women vote for a party who doesn't believe in their right to have an abortion, yet basically tells them they are on their own if they do have kids?

Locally, I'm definitely a Republican. I won't vote for anyone who prides themselves on ridiculous social views and policies that they should keep to themselves. Nationally, I have a hard time stomaching Republicans because of their idiot social views on many issues. But I don't think the Democrats have the right idea on the economy. I think the Republicans do in principle, if they actually acted on what they preach. I'd love to finally see a Libertarian republican make some major headway on the US scene in the upcoming years.
I certainly see your point and respect your viewpoint. I frankly would like to see Republicans do something to benefit this country for a change. Obstructing President Obama just because... is suicide and an atrocious way to attack the problems which plague this nation. The irrational and illogical obstruction by Republicans only highlights the glaring reality that Pubs FEAR the success that the President can bring with HIS policies. Where in the hell are Republican policies to benefit everyone, not just the rich?

Those who have a great deal of money (the people who Republicans fight for) are in a great position to help the weakest among us in this society. They have the means to help those who have been historically-discriminated against. They can boost education for everyone, not just the rich. They can give jobs to everyone, not just the rich, the good ol boys, and cheap foreign labor. The can create help create a society which gives the utmost consideration to kids, the elderly, the sick, and veterans. They can help win the war against deadly diseases like Cancer, Alzheimer's, and HIV. When Republicans give Republicans more money, none of this happens. In fact, just the opposite occurs. The rich make the rich, richer. Racial divide WIDENS. Gap between rich and poor WIDENS. The economy goes into a free fall. Deficit becomes a record. Spending on worthless endeavors like meaningless wars and nation-building abroad goes through the roof. Corners are cut because of deregulation. Massive oil spills result. Meat gets tainted, more food recalls. Discrimination becomes fashionable. Banks fees go through the roof. The economy heads towards Depression. Unchecked Wall Street creates more rich who are fat, dumb, and happy at the expense of everyone else. Housing crisis. Oil crisis. Street gang crisis. Illegal immigration crisis. Infrastructure in shambles. Warmongering out of control as thousands of Americans are sent to their death over unnecessary wars. Millions of families decimated by warmongering Pubs. Medical research stalls. Texas flourishes while the rest of the nation bleeds to death. Republicans have proven themselves utterly worthless except in obstructing. We live in shameful times because of this historically pathetic bunch.

Democrats have it right. If we didn't have Republicans digging us in enormous holes like Bush did, we'd be in a state of prosperity, enlightenment, and progression at a level one can only imagine. Unfortunately, this country is continually dragged down by Conservatives and their ineffective ideas and agenda.

I don't see any GOP person who can remedy this problem that is the GOP ideology. If we're fortunate, the GOP will soon be replaced as a major party by one better suited for these times we live in.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:29 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I certainly see your point and respect your viewpoint. I frankly would like to see Republicans do something to benefit this country for a change. Obstructing President Obama just because... is suicide and an atrocious way to attack the problems which plague this nation. The irrational and illogical obstruction by Republicans only highlights the glaring reality that Pubs FEAR the success that the President can bring with HIS policies. Where in the hell are Republican policies to benefit everyone, not just the rich?

Those who have a great deal of money (the people who Republicans fight for) are in a great position to help the weakest among us in this society. They have the means to help those who have been historically-discriminated against. They can boost education for everyone, not just the rich. They can give jobs to everyone, not just the rich, the good ol boys, and cheap foreign labor. The can create help create a society which gives the utmost consideration to kids, the elderly, the sick, and veterans. They can help win the war against deadly diseases like Cancer, Alzheimer's, and HIV. When Republicans give Republicans more money, none of this happens. In fact, just the opposite occurs. The rich make the rich, richer. Racial divide WIDENS. Gap between rich and poor WIDENS. The economy goes into a free fall. Deficit becomes a record. Spending on worthless endeavors like meaningless wars and nation-building abroad goes through the roof. Corners are cut because of deregulation. Massive oil spills result. Meat gets tainted, more food recalls. Discrimination becomes fashionable. Banks fees go through the roof. The economy heads towards Depression. Unchecked Wall Street creates more rich who are fat, dumb, and happy at the expense of everyone else. Housing crisis. Oil crisis. Street gang crisis. Illegal immigration crisis. Infrastructure in shambles. Warmongering out of control as thousands of Americans are sent to their death over unnecessary wars. Millions of families decimated by warmongering Pubs. Medical research stalls. Texas flourishes while the rest of the nation bleeds to death. Republicans have proven themselves utterly worthless except in obstructing. We live in shameful times because of this historically pathetic bunch.

Democrats have it right. If we didn't have Republicans digging us in enormous holes like Bush did, we'd be in a state of prosperity, enlightenment, and progression at a level one can only imagine. Unfortunately, this country is continually dragged down by Conservatives and their ineffective ideas and agenda.

I don't see any GOP person who can remedy this problem that is the GOP ideology. If we're fortunate, the GOP will soon be replaced as a major party by one better suited for these times we live in.
More or less covers it. Republicans lobbying for other Republicans does nothing to help the country. Quite the opposite, as history has shown. Their policies and approaches seem to make sense only if viewed as smokescreens for the true agenda, which appears to be to help the advantaged drain the till while we are looking the other way. "Hey look! Two guys are kissing!" The economic chaos we've reaped is just the latest of their shenanigans. And you are right, their unifying themes seems to be to sabotage Obama, who apparently terrifies them, and to act as Grover Norquist's minions, not to lead in any positive or meaningful way.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Across the board GOP moderates cannot get elected.
I think one could get elected, if he/she could get nominated by the GOP. That's the challenge, the nomination.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:15 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Across the board GOP moderates cannot get elected. Only a strong fiscal conservative will resonate enough to win. He will need to blend in some Libertarian leanings along social lines. So far, I guess I'd say Rand Paul might fit the bill.
While it is true that a moderate GOP candidate can't get the nomination, it's also true that a fiscal conservative with Libertarian leanings along social lines can't win the general election.

As long as the GOP deludes itself that Ron/Rand Paul types resonate at all with the general public, they'll win like Barry Goldwater did. Oh, wait.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:54 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,690 times
A moderate GOP member thats crazy talk!!! But they wouldnt get the nomination and conservative outlets wouldnt give them the time of day

Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 PM

113 posts, read 101,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
While it is true that a moderate GOP candidate can't get the nomination, it's also true that a fiscal conservative with Libertarian leanings along social lines can't win the general election.

As long as the GOP deludes itself that Ron/Rand Paul types resonate at all with the general public, they'll win like Barry Goldwater did. Oh, wait.
Goldwater didn't support legalizing weed when he ran (later he did).

Goldwater had a completely different foreign policy.

These are much different people.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Sound like you've described a model Democrat
Yeah--good thing Obama got in there and slashed the ridiculous Defense budget to the bone after Bush had run it up...

Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majinkoola View Post
Goldwater didn't support legalizing weed when he ran (later he did).

Goldwater had a completely different foreign policy.

These are much different people.
The current conservatives want to ban abortion and restrict birth control. They are the same 20% fringe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections