Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 03:40 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times

Advertisements

Looking at recent presidents, they have been all over the map--Carter, Clinton, LBJ--southern Ds. Reagan, Nixon, CA R's; Bush & HW Bush--southern Rs; Obama--midwestern D.

I think anyone from anywhere who has a reasonable resume, and above all is an effective campaigner, could win. If Hillary runs, will she be a southerner from Arkansas, a midwesterner from IL, or a norther easterner from NY? I don't think it would even occur to anyone to ask the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 03:42 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ ^ And which particular crazy Huckabee "ideas" match yours? You mean like his suggestion that "the real reason for the Sandy Hook massacre was because we removed God from schools"?!!

And you really think that Perry would never "act on his religious beliefs"? Except for maybe like the time when Perry issued an Official State Proclamation for Texans to Pray For Rain!

Actually I always love that one, because ironically the drought ended when Pres. Obama arrived in Austin (...LOL)!!
I find it ironic (not to say surprising) that you would draw a connection between Obama's arrival and the end of the drought.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:47 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Well, Obama was the first Yankee Democrat since JFK. Since then it had been Republican or only southern Democrat.
Obama is no yankee. Chicago is not Yankee-dom, neither is Hawaii. He probably has spent only 6-7 years of his life in the north east.

John Kerry is a yankee.

HC is a borderline one.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:49 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Seems like most of the folks who say Christie or Huntsman are too liberal are Southern true believers. The problem is that the Southern white vote will not carry the day anymore. Having Southern charm is a big plus as Clinton and Carter showed. But the rest of the people just don't want the crazy. Prayer breakfasts and NASCAR and birthers will not carry Minnesota.

Is there any Southern Republican who has crossover appeal? And more generally, given the division between the South and the rest can a Southern Rebublican even win the White House these days?
There aren't any Southern Repubs! They have all been thrown out of the GOP.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I find it ironic (not to say surprising) that you would draw a connection between Obama's arrival and the end of the drought.
Why do I get the idea you would still manage to find RW ''irony'' in that, regardless the weather when Obama arrived...?!!

Old 03-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Looking at recent presidents, they have been all over the map--Carter, Clinton, LBJ--southern Ds. Reagan, Nixon, CA R's; Bush & HW Bush--southern Rs; Obama--midwestern D.

I think anyone from anywhere who has a reasonable resume, and above all is an effective campaigner, could win. If Hillary runs, will she be a southerner from Arkansas, a midwesterner from IL, or a norther easterner from NY? I don't think it would even occur to anyone to ask the question.
I think the OP was talking about Southern Republican as in politically, not geographically. Neither bush was Politically Southern.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:04 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
BTW, that ''good ol boy'' Bill Clinton, successfully invoked Southern ''culture'' when he spoke of his New Covenant. Of course later on a lot of 'em came to realize he wasn't really ''one of them'', quite like they had thought!

And naturally Dubya's ''down home'' cowboy schtick, and his talk of being ''saved'' was aimed at much the same audience. In fact Karl Rove's infamous ''culture wars'' was designed precisely to widen that ''cultural divide''.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:05 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
BTW, that ''good ol boy'' Bill Clinton, successfully invoked Southern ''culture'' when he spoke of his New Covenant. Of course later on a lot of 'em came to realize he wasn't really ''one of them'', quite like they had thought!

And naturally Dubya's ''down home'' cowboy schtick, and his talk of being ''saved'' was aimed at much the same audience. In fact Karl Rove's infamous ''culture wars'' was designed precisely to widen that ''cultural divide''.
Yep, Bush was many things, but not competent, or a bigot. Of course, Rove went all in for the bigot vote in 2000 and 2004. It worked.

And Clinton, well, he is the real deal. He can charm a chicken off a junebug. His success speaks for itself. His wife, nah, not even close. Clinton is a good example of the political power of a whip smart, yet down home southern politician.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
Obama is no yankee. Chicago is not Yankee-dom, neither is Hawaii. He probably has spent only 6-7 years of his life in the north east.

John Kerry is a yankee.

HC is a borderline one.
Chicago is not Yakee-dom yet you say HC is a borderline one?

Make up your mind.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:

I really don't think it makes a difference either: it is the overall policies of the candidate not what state they reside in or were born in. To even ask the question sorta surprises me..

jsjj: the op didn't say what he meant when he asked about a southern being elected...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections