Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:14 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I had to laugh at this:
I have to ask, Do you really know your true history or a revisionist version?
The point is context, context, context. Paul was trotting out the old meme about Republicans being the Party of Lincoln, whereas the students knew pretty well that today's GOP has little resemblance to the party of 150 years ago, and called him on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 01:45 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah...I guess I can toss him a Nilla Wafer just for walking on the campus, buy that just highlights how out of touch Repubs are with anyone darker than an ostrich egg.
You've just demonstrated that no one should take anything you say seriously, lol!

Old 04-18-2013, 02:03 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
He went onto a college campus and spoke down to an auditorium of Political Science majors as if they were high school freshmen.

Rand Paul is a Senator and a public speaker, he should know how to speak to people without being condescending.He should also do so without lying ( not supporting civil rights legislature).

He was a fool because of how he acted, not simply because he is a Republican.
I have a question for you. How can you read with your eyes shut so tight?

Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The point is context, context, context. Paul was trotting out the old meme about Republicans being the Party of Lincoln, whereas the students knew pretty well that today's GOP has little resemblance to the party of 150 years ago, and called him on it.
Well, he may also may have been trying to point out how the democratic party duped blacks into voting for them by offering free stuff, rather than taking on personal responsibility and getting an education for a better life.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Look, why don't you just state what you thought about his speech and we can take it from there?

I did watch the speech on YouTube, most notably the Q&A. For the most part, the audience was pretty polite to him, with the exception of a couple of hecklers at the beginning. Which is good because all the rightwing folks would be teeing off on the "angry black people" stereotype.

Paul tried hard to position the Republican Party to the Emancipation Proclamation, whereas someone pointed out that this was different than the post-1968 GOP party. He mangled the name of one of the only elected black senators and a Howard alum, Massachusetts Republican Edward Brooke, calling him "Edwin Brooks," and was corrected by the audience.

He asked the audience if they knew that the founders of the NAACP were Republicans. The people in the audience replied, rather incredulously, that they did. Later he tried to whitewash his position on the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and an audience member pointed out that Paul's opposition to a key provision of the act was "on tape."

Bottom line is that he probably didn't change too many minds there. But maybe he wasn't really trying to appeal to African Americans, but just wants to appear more moderate, to appeal to white suburban voters (especially white women suburban voters), and maybe change his far-out image on a number of policy positions.
first of all, anyone who believes what they see on UTube is living in an unrealistic world. Anyone with any tech skills know how easy it is to alter the films to fit into the views they want to get across. We saw it time and time again during the last election. We get these cute ones daily from our friends in Email. So please don't take them seriously, but that isn't the point actually, I asked you how they coached him? Now you are spinning that into something totally different. As for not getting Edward Brookes name correct, you don't really think this shows he needs coaching on history do you? If you have never made a mistake when mentioning someone's name you can go to the head of the class. No one said he changed many minds, you are probably completely right about that, but most everything else you are saying is simply based on your liberal views and distaste for any Republican I am guessing.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:57 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
first of all, anyone who believes what they see on UTube is living in an unrealistic world. Anyone with any tech skills know how easy it is to alter the films to fit into the views they want to get across. We saw it time and time again during the last election. We get these cute ones daily from our friends in Email. So please don't take them seriously, but that isn't the point actually, I asked you how they coached him? Now you are spinning that into something totally different. As for not getting Edward Brookes name correct, you don't really think this shows he needs coaching on history do you? If you have never made a mistake when mentioning someone's name you can go to the head of the class. No one said he changed many minds, you are probably completely right about that, but most everything else you are saying is simply based on your liberal views and distaste for any Republican I am guessing.
Exactly, mispronouncing a name is no big deal, I wish I had a nickel every time Obama did it, it is akin to a typo, no big deal. Anyway, what is the black agenda, what is it blacks would like to see in a future presidential candidate? I get the feeling it could be anything, as long as he isn't white. Do blacks want a lot of promises for more free stuff or someone who is bent on fixing things, including the economy, so everyone has a decent chance at a good job. Don't live for today, vote for tomorrow, for the future of everyone. I have to laugh, because of all of the people who fought for their freedom, they now have a new slave owner, the Democratic party.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:20 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Exactly, mispronouncing a name is no big deal, I wish I had a nickel every time Obama did it, it is akin to a typo, no big deal. Anyway, what is the black agenda, what is it blacks would like to see in a future presidential candidate? I get the feeling it could be anything, as long as he isn't white. Do blacks want a lot of promises for more free stuff or someone who is bent on fixing things, including the economy, so everyone has a decent chance at a good job. Don't live for today, vote for tomorrow, for the future of everyone. I have to laugh, because of all of the people who fought for their freedom, they now have a new slave owner, the Democratic party.
90% of Blacks voted for Clinton and Kerry.
when was the last time whites voted 90% for a minority politicians.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,547 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I have a question for you. How can you read with your eyes shut so tight?
Are you saying you would walk into a room full of people studying the subject you came to talk about and then ask them if they know basic information ?

It would be like walking into a room of mathematicians and then asking them, " what is the equation of the circumference of a circle", Or something like that.

it is condescending and it looks bad.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:33 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Say Biff,

Instead of counting on other people doing your homework, why don't you state what you think about it? Or is thinking too much to ask of you? We can have a conversation about that. Black and white (pun intended) blanket statements don't really do it for me.

BTW, the Back to the Future metaphor isn't working for you - McFly gets the better of Biff in the end.
Again you made things up. You didn't listen to those who were there and commented. Instead, you are telling people to NOT listen to those involved but instead listen to you tell them what they meant.
Why have a conversation with someone who doesn't get it? You're asking me to tell you what I think about the response he received when all I have to do is listen to those who did the actual responding.

hello McFly

Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
No they didn't. You didn't listen to their responses. Just what someone said they said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections