Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Sorry. Is this rightwing enough for you? (Note that the numbers are exactly the same, but apparently you won't believe them unless it's from some site like Fox News. )

Fox News exit poll summary: Obama's key groups made the difference | Fox News

Obama Win Fueled by Latino Voter Muscle, FOX Exit Polls Show | Fox News Latino

But you did imply that Hispanics in Texas who didn't vote in this past election would not have voted Democratic in the same proportion that they did across the country. It's kind of silly to claim otherwise when one can scroll up a few posts and see it for themselves.

After demonizing Hispanics as being to blame for much of what is wrong in this country, the GOP suddenly realized they have screwed themselves by alienating the fastest growing voting block in the country, and now, suddenly, they are "doing everything they can to attract the Hispanic voters." And it's your contention that Latinos will simply forget all the years of hateful rhetoric aimed their way from the right and vote Republican? Not even the GOP is making such a stupid claim. Why do you think they are desperate all of a sudden to try to appease this demographic? They see reality, even if you can't.

Cruz, a far rightwing candidate, was elected in an election in which 2.2 million eligible Hispanics in Texas did not vote. Thus, he was largely elected by rightwing non-Hispanics. If the Democratic get out the vote initiative is as successful in Texas as it was in many other places across the country in 2012, the GOP is screwed.
who demonized Hispanics for heavens sake? There is a big difference between Hispanics and illegals. the latter are the ones most have problems with..

You argument about Cruz, makes no sense. The fact remains there are Hispanic Republicans and there are Hispanic Democrats. Don't you think if the Hispanics really didn't like Cruz (those who didn't vote) would have gotten out and voted? How do you explain Susana M. popularity in NM? The state is primarily Hispanic, she is Hispanic and she is very conservative and very popular.

If I did imply those who did not vote would have voted differently I certainly did not mean to: my point was in response to: if 1/2 of the 2.2 would have voted for Obama such and such would have happened. That is like saying if this was this and that was that thus and so would have been the outcome. The what ifs are never worth mentioning, that was my only point. Actually you are the one that is saying, if they had voted they would have done thus and so. Why do you think those 2.2 mil did not vote? There are always what ifs we can use. I showed that when I pointed out: what if R. Paul supporters had voted for Romney instead of writing his name in, voting for Gary J or not voted. Many admit they did not vote. What if Perot had not run? What if Sarah Palin had not been the VP candidate in 2008? If you can't understand how ridiculous "what ifs are" I can't explain it to you so we will just have to end this discussion. You are not going to change your thinking and I am not going to change mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf150 View Post
I'm not talking about illegal immigrants - I'm saying about legal immigrants.

See in my quote.

I seriously doubt illegal immigrants will become a new voter under immigration reform - I already know that they will not going to be new voter unless they return to home country (ie. Mexico) and apply for immigration to immigrate legally so wait for 5 years after receive a green card.

I don't think that California is going revert back to red state and they are blue state for 2 decades now, unless they elect the liberal republicans.

Texas is becoming a blue state because of fast growing of minorities and it will take about 10 years for switch to blue. California and Texas are different because white voters in Texas is more conservative than in California.
HELLO, I know what you are saying, but apparently you do not know what I am saying: there will not be anymore legal Hispanics 4 years from now than there are now. If an amnesty program is put into law those who are found eligible to stay in America will not even be able to apply for citizenship for a min of 10 years. Then they go to the bottom just like those who are here from other countries do now. Where are you getting your idea there wil be more legal Hispanic voters in Texas in the next 4 years? Where are they coming from? lve

Of course CA isn't going to switch, they have been pretty much blue for way more than 20 years, except for a few Republican governors. My remark was made to point out CA isn't going to go Red and Texas blue for a lont long time. BTW in case you don't know this and obviously you do not: I was born and raised in Ca and lived many years in Texas so I am very familiar with the political climate in both states.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Why do "we" know that?

The polling organization Latino Decisions gave Obama an eye-popping 75 percent of the [Latino] vote, compared with 23 percent for Romney --a 3:1 margin.

How Latinos Are Transforming the Electoral Map | PBS NewsHour

Are you saying that somehow, Texan Hispanics are completely different from Hispanics in the rest of the country?

But hey, don't accept reality on my account. I am perfectly happy to have Republicans dismiss this demographic and assume that Texas isn't going to be in play in 2016.
Oh no, it's reverse mojo. This will surely throw Texas into deep blue territory now.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
who demonized Hispanics for heavens sake? There is a big difference between Hispanics and illegals. the latter are the ones most have problems with..
And yet, the GOP is scrambling to make nice, so they must know they have a problem with this demographic, even if you don't.

Quote:
You argument about Cruz, makes no sense. The fact remains there are Hispanic Republicans and there are Hispanic Democrats. Don't you think if the Hispanics really didn't like Cruz (those who didn't vote) would have gotten out and voted? How do you explain Susana M. popularity in NM? The state is primarily Hispanic, she is Hispanic and she is very conservative and very popular.
I never said there weren't any Hispanics who vote Republican. I said they voted Democratic by a 3:1 ratio in 2012. And that 2.2 million eligible Hispanic voters did not go to the polls in Texas in 2012. If they were to be mobilized to vote, that could present quite a large hurdle for the GOP to overcome, especially as this is demographic that will continue to grow.

Quote:
If I did imply those who did not vote would have voted differently I certainly did not mean to: my point was in response to: if 1/2 of the 2.2 would have voted for Obama such and such would have happened. That is like saying if this was this and that was that thus and so would have been the outcome. The what ifs are never worth mentioning, that was my only point.
The "if" I'm talking about is the Democratic initiative to get those voters to the polls in the next election. If they are able to do that--and they've proven pretty effective in mobilizing voters thus far in other swing states--that could be a game-changer in Texas.

Quote:
You are not going to change your thinking and I am not going to change mine.
So, all is right with the world.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:29 PM

154 posts, read 220,180 times
Quote:
HELLO, I know what you are saying, but apparently you do not know what I am saying: there will not be anymore legal Hispanics 4 years from now than there are now. If an amnesty program is put into law those who are found eligible to stay in America will not even be able to apply for citizenship for a min of 10 years. Then they go to the bottom just like those who are here from other countries do now. Where are you getting your idea there wil be more legal Hispanic voters in Texas in the next 4 years? Where are they coming from? lve
Hello

In bold, in case, if immigration reform bill becomes law, we will still have divide into illegal immigrants - latino and legal immigrants - latino. The illegal immigrants - latino will receive a different treatment - more longer and harsher than 1986 immigration law. If latino enter US legally so they will be legal immigrant and have to meet requirement under 1986 immigration law.

We have many latino population who came as legal immigrants and I have very highly respect for them to enter legally by enforce our immigration law.

My idea is based on how many legal immigrants (under 1986 immigration law) eventually become a citizen and ability to vote - I gave 2016 as start estimate - that may too earlier in my mind so after 2020 will be likely. It is hard to make prediction and not all citizens are going to be voter.

Quote:
Of course CA isn't going to switch, they have been pretty much blue for way more than 20 years, except for a few Republican governors. My remark was made to point out CA isn't going to go Red and Texas blue for a lont long time. BTW in case you don't know this and obviously you do not: I was born and raised in Ca and lived many years in Texas so I am very familiar with the political climate in both states.
Ok, you have own prediction and I have own prediction. I don't know if it is true until 10 years later.

It is sad about some people (not about you) easily see latino - brown skinned as illegal immigrant because high number of illegal immigrants are from Mexico + Central America. We have many legal immigrants that originally from Mexico + Central America.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:44 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Barring any further health setbacks, if Hillary runs she wins. Not saying she'll win by a lot but she will win. The historic opportunity for America to have its first female president will be too much to pass up.
why is that a good thing..what should any person hold office based of race,gender,religon ect?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:57 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
why is that a good thing..what should any person hold office based of race,gender,religon ect?
Who said anything about good or bad? I was making a prediction. If Republicans ignore the gender factor they do so at their own peril.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Who said anything about good or bad? I was making a prediction. If Republicans ignore the gender factor they do so at their own peril.
who said anything about ignoring the gender factor or ignoring anything else for that matter? But the remark was simply, no one should base their vote on color, race, gender or religion, but on who would be the best choice, based on issues...Isn't this the way people should vote? On one is saying they are ignoring the fact, this isn't the way so many idiots do vote.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:49 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
should the only factor be if the candidate and the policies they wish to enact are Constitutional and have leave the American people in charge of there own lives, money, property/destiny?

Old 04-19-2013, 01:02 AM

1,127 posts, read 903,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
should the only factor be if the candidate and the policies they wish to enact are Constitutional and have leave the American people in charge of there own lives, money, property/destiny?
There has never been a President like that, what makes you think it will happen now.

Best move to Somalia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections