Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But don't you do the same thing? It sure appears, from most of your postings here, you do. I happen to agree, partisanship isn't helping our country. Most of us lean one way or the other, but it would be nice if people would forget thinking they have to always be right and the other side are a bunch of idiots. Remember, this plays both ways...
You will not find a single one of my post where I have said " you being a conservative means you do not care about this nation"

by the way, my page is not private, you can easily search my post history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 10:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You will not find a single one of my post where I have said " you being a conservative means you do not care about this nation"

by the way, my page is not private, you can easily search my post history.
Maybe not directly but you do make references and you do think or appear to think all Republicans are wrong and none can or should get elected. This is what I mean by patrician.

Nita

Old 05-05-2013, 03:07 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You just mentioned one of the reasons democrats and Moderates actually like Huntsman. he does not demonize the other side of the isle. He can put forth his own ideas without trying to make the other person sound like a lowlife.
Like Libs run candidates they think will appeal to Republicans?

Old 05-05-2013, 03:59 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Like Libs run candidates they think will appeal to Republicans?
What does that statement have to do with anything?
Get real, Laura. Neither party has any control over who chooses to run or not. Both try to find candidates who have appeal both to their base and to the uncommitted voters.

It's been a recognized fact since women and minorities were allowed to vote that failure to find someone with some appeal to the other side is a loser in the Presidential elections. it is increasing becoming a loser in all the Representative and Senate races as well in many states.

Better put that smack smiley away, Laura. It seems that you have beaten your forehead too much with it already.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:53 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Yep, swing voters carry the day. As they should. They tend to weigh the facts and think for themselves. That is true patriotism.

As I've said before, if the Dems put up Clinton, and the GOP puts up Huntsman, I would give the dude a close look. Recall the people voted for W because he claimed to be a compassionate conservative. Folks did not know at the time he meant compassionate to lobbyists.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:14 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
I find it both hilarious and tragic the GOP refuses to run the horse that stands the best chance to win the race. Huntsman has enough appeal to both left and right to make him very hard to beat, but the GOP cannot bear to run a candidate that refuses to fall in line and a lot of Republicans are so hopelessly bigotted that they'll refuse to vote for a Mormon. Either come to terms with Mormonism -- one of the GOP's greatest assets -- or have fun going from Grand Old Party to Grand Dead Party.

I really am blown away by any respondents who refuse to vote for any Mormon. Would you also refuse to vote for any woman running for President? What about a black or Hispanic candidate? What about another Catholic? What if a Jew runs for POTUS?

It is likewise both hilarious and tragic. It seems that most of the anti-Mormon bigotry left in America resides in the Democratic Party -- the self-righteous crusaders that are supposedly against any and all forms of bigotry. If it wasn't so utterly tragic and pathetic, it would be nothing but laughable that those "enlightened" Dems can actually rationalize having so much blind bigotry a group such as the Mormons. Some of them might dislike Christianity to some degree, but they HATE the Mormons. Oh the irony!

Old 05-11-2013, 02:27 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I find it both hilarious and tragic the GOP refuses to run the horse that stands the best chance to win the race. Huntsman has enough appeal to both left and right to make him very hard to beat, but the GOP cannot bear to run a candidate that refuses to fall in line and a lot of Republicans are so hopelessly bigotted that they'll refuse to vote for a Mormon. Either come to terms with Mormonism -- one of the GOP's greatest assets -- or have fun going from Grand Old Party to Grand Dead Party.

I really am blown away by any respondents who refuse to vote for any Mormon. Would you also refuse to vote for any woman running for President? What about a black or Hispanic candidate? What about another Catholic? What if a Jew runs for POTUS?

It is likewise both hilarious and tragic. It seems that most of the anti-Mormon bigotry left in America resides in the Democratic Party -- the self-righteous crusaders that are supposedly against any and all forms of bigotry. If it wasn't so utterly tragic and pathetic, it would be nothing but laughable that those "enlightened" Dems can actually rationalize having so much blind bigotry a group such as the Mormons. Some of them might dislike Christianity to some degree, but they HATE the Mormons. Oh the irony!
All true enough, but there is plenty of Mormon hatred to go around on all sides. It was the same with Catholics before one was elected, and it will be the same for Jews until one is elected.

In the end, I'm sure America will elect a Mormon and a Jew. We will eventually elect a woman, and we'll elect someone with Hispanic heritage and another with Oriental heritage. Every single one of them will face old hatreds, and each will play a part in these hatreds decreasing.

Bigotry is a gut reaction to those who are not like 'us'. Once we realize we are all pretty much alike except for our gender and a few external differences, we widen our definition of 'us'.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

Well lets just say this: 1-I am sure Romney lost votes because he is a Mormon, not enough to cost him the election, I don't think. It is sad, but true. 2-As a Republican, and a conservative or fiscally anyway are you telling me, I should vote for someone just because they have an R next to their name, even if I do not agree with their views. I hope I never find myself voting based on the letter next to someone's name. The only time I can imagine doing this would be is the candidates were so close I couldn't decide.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:28 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well lets just say this: 1-I am sure Romney lost votes because he is a Mormon, not enough to cost him the election, I don't think. It is sad, but true. 2-As a Republican, and a conservative or fiscally anyway are you telling me, I should vote for someone just because they have an R next to their name, even if I do not agree with their views. I hope I never find myself voting based on the letter next to someone's name. The only time I can imagine doing this would be is the candidates were so close I couldn't decide.
I believe that George Washington was right: Political parties are nothing but trouble and we're worse off for having any. They inevitably become cesspools of corruption. They tend to lead voters to stop thinking for themselves.

If you do not agree with Jon Huntsman then don't vote for him. But bear in mind that the Democrats are a lot more willing to vote for the candidate they know will win even if they don't completely agree with him or her -- and that gives them a big advantage when the general election comes around. Ceding an advantage that big is pretty nonsensical if you ask me.

The truth of the matter is, Independents are more numerous in this nation than either one of the big two parties. If you keep putting up candidates that have virtually no appeal to Independents, you cannot win.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:16 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I just read this:

Jon Huntsman Holds His Ground as Republicans Come Around to His Views - The Daily Beast

Jon Huntsman has been busy lately speaking to GOP groups...
For me, Huntsman is the only Republican I would be happy with at the present, but 2016 is still a political lifetime away.
I like Huntsman too.
Apart from Ron Paul, he was the only candidate who spoke sense in last year's campaigns. The rest of them were cartoon character pols, who were just saying what they though people wanted to hear.

And he would be a much better candidate for the White Horse prophecy, than the possibly-criminal Romney.

Yes, he might be capable of saving the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections