Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 04:05 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times

Advertisements

John Kerry vows

Secretary Kerry has pledged full cooperation with the Republican-led investigation into the attack on Benghazi and killing of an ambassador and other Americans. Could this be a stratagem by Kerry to undercut Hillary for 2016? If Hillary declines to run, dem options are few and far between. Could Kerry jump in to save the day? Kerry would be 72 years old in 2016, but after all he is an avid windsurfer, skier, etc. Maybe 72 is the new 62?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 05:18 PM

500 posts, read 375,969 times
My God.

Every time I see him since he got his new position, I wonder who his plastic surgeon is. His face looks very odd and nothing like the long, pointy face of the past.

And Therezzza? OMG. Please, God, NO.!.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:55 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
John Kerry vows

Secretary Kerry has pledged full cooperation with the Republican-led investigation into the attack on Benghazi and killing of an ambassador and other Americans. Could this be a stratagem by Kerry to undercut Hillary for 2016? If Hillary declines to run, dem options are few and far between. Could Kerry jump in to save the day? Kerry would be 72 years old in 2016, but after all he is an avid windsurfer, skier, etc. Maybe 72 is the new 62?
I believe that would put him just about at the age of John McCain in 2008, when many claimed he was just too old.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
You don't run and lose and then run again. Yes, it worked for Nixon, but that was an exception. Why would he even bother? I don't think we need to worry, he will not run and if he does, no one will take this seriously.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:01 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Maybe Valerie Jarrett will run for POTUS.

Would she be considered to be a natural born citizen?

Old 05-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
John Kerry vows

Andrew Cuomo, Martin O'Malley, Brian Switzer, Mike Beebe, Deval Patrick, Mark Dayton, Kathleen Sebelius, Joe Biden, Wesley Clark, Tim Kaine, Mark Warner,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You don't run and lose and then run again. Yes, it worked for Nixon, but that was an exception. Why would he even bother? I don't think we need to worry, he will not run and if he does, no one will take this seriously.
Well that isnt true. Romney ran and lost twice,one in the primaries, then again in the general, McCain did the exact same thing in 2000/2008. The argument you may be trying to make is about making it to the General election twice. And even that isnt true. Adlai Stevenson Did it back to back.William J. Bryan,Grover Cleveland,Martin Van Buren, William Henry Harrison,Henry Clay, Andrew Jackson,John Q. Adams, and Thomas Jefferson. And i skipped over a few guys.

But the argument you were trying to make is a flawed premise. Most people who lose in the Presidential general election usually only try once.

there is a huge difference between trying a failing (your argument) and not trying at all.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Andrew Cuomo, Martin O'Malley, Brian Switzer, Mike Beebe, Deval Patrick, Mark Dayton, Kathleen Sebelius, Joe Biden, Wesley Clark, Tim Kaine, Mark Warner,

Well that isnt true. Romney ran and lost twice,one in the primaries, then again in the general, McCain did the exact same thing in 2000/2008. The argument you may be trying to make is about making it to the General election twice. And even that isnt true. Adlai Stevenson Did it back to back.William J. Bryan,Grover Cleveland,Martin Van Buren, William Henry Harrison,Henry Clay, Andrew Jackson,John Q. Adams, and Thomas Jefferson. And i skipped over a few guys.

But the argument you were trying to make is a flawed premise. Most people who lose in the Presidential general election usually only try once.

there is a huge difference between trying a failing (your argument) and not trying at all.
First of all, yes, you are right, about McCain and Romney and in both cases it was not a smart thing to do, especially in 2012. As for the other examples, when are people going to stop comparing what happened 100 or more years ago. Those days are long past. Even the way voting went then is so different than now. As for Kerry, if he wants to run, good for him, will he win? Mostly likely not, it didn't work for Romney or McCain did it. BTW, you forgot Bush one, he tried as well. A lot have run in primaries, then come back to try another time. That is not what I was talking about and you know it. I think we could probably find most, who get the nomination have tried before. Dole did as well.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:53 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
I don't see him running again. I think him retiring from the Senate and taking the Secretary of State position was his way of writing a final chapter on his political career.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:22 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I don't see him running again. I think him retiring from the Senate and taking the Secretary of State position was his way of writing a final chapter on his political career.
Yup.
I still have great doubt Hillary will make another try, despite how high her current popularity is. She's aging. So is Jeb Bush. So is Joe Biden, and a bunch of others we have seen over the past 4 years.

The time for 20th century re-treads is rapidly coming to an end. The 1990's, when so many of them rose to prominence, is now 20 years in the past, and 20 years plus is a long enough career for most folks, including politicians.

I think both parties, and 3rd parties as well, will all be looking for younger and fresher blood for the 2016 election, and there are plenty of potentials waiting in the wings right now.

It's good, as I see it. It's time the voters in their 40's and younger start showing up, and it's time the geezers like me start passing some of the reins over to them; they will be steering the horses one way or another soon enough, and we will be dying off or wearing bibs in rest homes soon enough.

They don't need our fears and ancient concerns running their lives any longer. Just as they have had to live with the consequences we created for them, some of us will have to do the same once it is their turn. That's the way it has always worked.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
He might be positioning himself for a VP post, for a younger Western or Southern presidential candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections